September 25, 2014                     ISSUE #41

ANNOUNCEMENTS

1. Church seeking Choir Director

Choir directing experience, keyboard proficiency, and love of God are what is needed to apply for this 8 hour weekly position. Teays Valley Presbyterian Church in Scott Depot.  Contact details/interview - (304) 757-6071 [email protected]

2. Church Phone Number Change

 The telephone number for Kanawha United Presbyterian Church is not longer in use. Please use (304) 342-6558 to contact the church.

3. Calling All Creative Types:

Does anyone have need for preordered PCUSA bulletin covers (these are the bulletins that have preprinted fronts and backs)?  Glenville Presbyterian has quite a bit of stock leftover from this and previous years.  If you have a need for pictures, Bible verses, bulletin covers, etc. please contact Pastor Karen Kinney at

[email protected]   We will happily mail or deliver them to you.

4. CAMC Part-Time On Call Jobs

Looking for part time people to fill the On-Call positions at CAMC.  There is a stipend and prefer people people who have M.Div., CPE or retired or active clergy. Contact: Ravi Isaiah at [email protected] and
304-388-4290

5. Bluestone Coffee Mug Drive

Bluestone's mix 'n match coffee mug inventory is getting low, so here's your opportunity to gain some extra cabinet space for your kitchen!  Please drop off your old coffee mugs at the Presbytery office or give them to anyone you know who is headed for Bluestone this month.  Thanks very much!

Prayer List For Churches

Week 39

Presbytery of WV
Parsons
Smithers
St. Marys

Nyeri Presbytery
Church: Hubuini
Pronun: Hobo-ENN'nay
Parish: Thegenge
Spoken: They-GEN'gay

Week 40

Presbytery of WV
Upperglade
Spring Valley, Huntington
Whittico Memorial, Keystone

Nyeri Presbytery
Church: Ihithe
Pronun: Ee-HITH'they
Parish: Thegene
Spoken: They-GEN'gay

Week 41

Presbytery of WV
Belington
First, Charleston
Bramwell

Nyeri Presbytery
Church: Kiamutiga
Pronun: Kay-ah-MOOT'ee-gah
Parish: Thegene
Spoken: They-GEN'gay

Nurturing Faith Ideas

September 28:  God wants us to keep our promises.  Promise God to do something to show God's love to someone.  Keep that promise.

October 5: The next time you're in the car with your children, try turning off the radio and asking them what highs and lows they had during the day.  Then take a moment to pray for the event that you're headed to next.

October 12:  Help your children pray aloud by giving them a sentence to complete, such as: "Lord, I think you for..."; "Lord, help my friend..."; "Lord, give me the courage to...".

QUICK LINKS

Presbytery of WV

PWV Resource Center

Bluestone

Westminster Foundation

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Waverly-Bethel Presbyterian Church: A Historic Place HistoricPlaque

The Waverly-Bethel Presbyterian church is hosting a plaque presentation, as our historic chapel has been newly listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  We invite you to come to this special presentation on Sunday, September 28th at 2PM at the Bethel Chapel (on Old St Marys Pike in Waverly). At this presentation, the plaque will be placed, delicious refreshments will be served, and there will be a reading our of nomination (including what makes the chapel unique in Wood County).

If you have any questions, please contact Rev. Elizabeth Campbell-Maleke at (607) 279-8011 or [email protected].

A New Mission Partnership MissionPartnership

Davis Memorial in Elkins has a new mission partner!  Holy Trinity Lutheran, ELCA, and DMPC have been having VBS together now for several years.  HTLC has more recently approached DMPC about making our relationship more expanded and structured.  They wanted to partner with us in community outreach and mission as well as enjoy the benefit of regular preachers in the pulpit.  Endless and varied pulpit supply guest preachers was not seen as enhancing their ability to grow in their mission to the community.  Though they cannot afford a full-time installed pastor, HTLC can afford to move forward in supporting regular but part time leadership.

So, on a quarter-time basis, Kevin Starcher and Peter Vial will be alternating in the pulpit at HTLC.  HTLC moved their worship hour to 9:00a.m. to help make this happen...

READ ARTICLE

Plan for Advent NOW! RCAdvent
PWV Resource Center

Yes, I realize that Christmas is three months away but there are only two more months until the start of Advent. That means just two months for you to decide on an advent study, to publicize it and to prepare for that study. Your Resource Center is here to help. Here are a few choices for you to consider.

  1. While We Wait: Living the Questions of Advent by Mary Lou Redding...
  2. Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol by Travis J. Scholl...
  3. The Scriptures Sing of Christmas by J. Ellsworth Kalas...
  4. Come and Behold by Von W. Unruh...

Your Resource Center has these studies and several others.  Come in and see what you like or give us a call and let me help you choose.

READ ARTICLE

Advent Calendars AdventCalendars
If you are looking for a good Advent devotional for your family or your church members, consider Presbyterians Today's 2014 Advent Calendar.  The theme of the calendar is "Decluttering for Christmas."  Each week features passages from a different book of the Bible.  In each of the first three weeks, the passages for Monday through Saturday provide a chance to reflect on the biblical passage for Sunday in more detail.  The final week's passages focus on the Christmas story in Luke 1.  To order you may call: 800-524-2612 or go online to store.pcusa.org/1711614012.  The price of copies range from $4.00 for ordering just one to only $1.65 a piece if you order 100-249 copies.

To see a sample, come visit your Resource Center at the Presbytery Office.  We are open 8:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday through Thursday.

The Tale of a Spaghetti Dinner spaghettidinner

Brandy is one of my parishioners.  She developed peripartum cardiomyopathy and gave birth to her daughter a month early before being life-flighted to UPMC - Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh.  Monday she underwent open heart surgery to have an LVAD... She is doing well and was transferred from ICU to the floor today.

Point Pleasant PC is sponsoring a benefit spaghetti lunch tomorrow.  The response is so great that I was sent to get a lot more sauce and containers etc. When I was checking out, the cashier, who knew the church was making the purchase, commented that I must be planning to feed a multitude.  I briefly told her what was going on.** The lady behind me and the couple behind her, total strangers, each gave me $20 for the cause, for Brandy. **

Part of me wants to say, "I wish the dinner had gone off without a hitch," but I can't.  Another part of me wants to say, "Praise God!  Praise God!  Praise God!" and I am!

Posted to Facebook on September 17th

Pastor John Holland, Point Pleasant Presbyterian Church

READ ARTICLE

Lay Academy of Religion Lecture - John Haught LayAcademy
Georgetown University Professor of Theology, John F. Haught is speaking at First Presbyterian Church in Charleston

TWO PUBLIC LECTURES:
"Evolution and Faith: What is at stake?"  Saturday, October 18, 10:00 a.m.-noon and 1:30-3:30 p.m.

"Science, Faith and the New Atheism"
Sunday, October 19, 9:15-10:15 a.m.

For more information, click here or call Dr. Robert Newman at 304-345-0225 or the church office at
304-343-8961.
Choir Director Needed ChoirDirectorNeeed

Teays Valley Presbyterian Church seeking Choir Director

Choir directing experience, keyboard proficiency and love of God are what is needed to apply for this 8 hour weekly position.

Contact for details/interview 304 757 6071

[email protected]

Presbyterians & Democracy: Voter Registration Resource Voter

Presbyterians have had a long history of being involved both in government and the election process. Grady Parson, PCUSA Stated Clerk made the following point in a document entitled, Presbyterians and Politics: Disturbers of Governments, he states: " If we bear witness and serve the Lord, then, as a church and as individuals, we have a clear responsibility to concern ourselves with the social and political sphere also. To say nothing and to do nothing in this sphere is to deny our own Gospel. It is to say that there are at least some areas in the world and in our own lives where God is NOT Lord..."

We hope that the following resource will allow you to assist your congregation in preparing for the Mid-term elections in November. We have provided you with a biblical and theological perspective on why Christians are called to participate in both local and national politics in advocating for  issues important to Christians and in participating as part of the voting and electoral process. You will also find ways to learn more about the candidates running for office in the mid-term elections, and ways that your members can become involved in the voting process; educating others, registering people to vote, taking people to the polls etc.

Voter registration Resource - click here

World Communion Sunday WorldCommunionSunday
The first Sunday in October is designated as World Communion Sunday, which celebrates our oneness in Christ with all our brothers and sisters around the world.  Paul tells us that we are to "discern the body" when we partake of Holy Communion, mindful that we note our relationship to all our brothers and sisters in Christ in the celebration.  One is not to go hungry while another is drunk! (I Cor. 11:21).

This is scandalous behavior opposed to the Way of Christ.  Thus it is appropriate that World Communion Sunday is also a time when we receive the annual PEACE & GLOBAL WITNESS OFFERING as a way of continuing the ancient Christian practice of sharing what we have with brothers and sisters in need.

Resources for World Communion Sunday which include: Prayers for Church Unity, A Litany of Confession, A Great Prayer of Thanksgiving

Can be downloaded by clicking here.

If We're Honest Tour - October 25th at D&E DandE
Compassion International presents the If We're Honest tour, bringing together two of the top selling artists in recent years, Francesca Battistelli and Sanctus Real. A message from Crossway Records' Jon Bauer will also be featured in this tour.

On October 25th, doors will open for VIP ticket holders at 6:00 p.m. for a Q&A session with the artists. Presented by Davis & Elkins College.

For more information, call 304-637-1255.  VIP Floor Seating (front, center section): $35; General Floor Reserved: $20; Balcony Front: $20; Balcony Back: $15; Group (10+): 20 percent discount per ticket; FREE for D&E Students, Faculty, Staff

http://www.jonbauermusic.com/tour/

http://sanctusreal.com/

http://www.francescamusic.com/news

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
Faith Connects: Peace & Global Witness Offering PeaceandGlobal

What you've known as the Peacemaking O�ffering has been transformed into the Peace & Global Witness Off�ering. This new Off�ering will have a greater global reach, more significant impact, and bring peace to people through Christ.

The Peace & Global Witness Offering is received during the Season of Peace, which ends on World Communion Sunday. However, you can help sustain the important PC(USA) ministries and programs that are supported by this important Offering by making an online gift at any time throughout the year. Gifts to the Peace & Global Witness Offering enable the church to promote the Peace of Christ by addressing systems of injustice across the world.

Use these resources for promoting the Peace & Global Witness Offering in your church.

All Peace & Global Witness Offering Resources

All Peacemaking Offering Resources

Season of Peace Resources

Wellness & Water Gathering WellnessandWater

Now in it's third annual gathering, Wellness and Water is a public education event sponsored by a variety of grassroots and community advocacy groups. This year's event will be held at Village Chapel Presbyterian Church, in Kanawha City, October 4th (with a fundraising concert on Oct 3rd).

There will be panel discussions of issues that affect clean tap water and human health in West Virginia and the surrounding region. The event will also feature an Open Space demonstration and discussion area, where participants can delve in depth into topics that interest them most.

We all need clean water, and it will take all of us to ensure that clean water as a basic human right is honored in the future. So, come one, come all - to Wellness and Water 2014. For more information, and to pre-register, click here.
Fall Getaway Retreat FallGetAway

Can you imagine a better way to spend a fall weekend then to "getaway" to the color-drenched mountains at Bluestone Camp? The Presbytery of WV's Bluestone & Nurture Committees with Friends of Bluestone present: The Faith Song, our fall getaway weekend for any and all ages to come and "experience God in Heart, Art & Nature". The weekend will be October 10-12, 2014.

Information and registration can be found at http://bluestonecamp.com/fall-getaway/

Participants are encouraged to bring any musical instrument they play to the retreat.

With Sympathy Sympathy
Thomas A. Hopper passed away on September 21, 2014. A service of remembrance will be held on Friday, September 26th  at 6:00PM at First Presbyterian Church, Charleston, WV, with Visitation preceding the service at 4:00 PM. Tom served as the George Washington High School Mens' Soccer Coach for 13 years and is married to Martha Hopper. Andy Ceperley, Tom's brother-in-law, serves as the President of West Virginia Homes, Inc, a Presbyterian affiliated corporation providing housing for low-income seniors in the Charleston area, and also serves as Vice President of Presbyterian housing Foundation of West Virginia.
- We are a baptized covenant people -
Presbytery of West Virginia                   520 Second Avenue                   South Charleston, WV 25303
Phone (304) 744-7634                           Fax (304) 744-7649                              www.wvpresbytery.org
Office Hours: Monday -Thursday  8:30AM-5:30PM