Invite your family and friends to join our Radio Chavura. Please share this weekly e-mail newsletter and encourage members of your community to subscribe
. The more people who see our weekly newsletter, the more visibility we can provide to our local Jewish institutions, events and noteworthy individuals.
In This Week's Newsletter
Congregation Rodef Shalom: Celebrating 60 Years
Annual Dinner Honoring Janet Smith & Leslie Tjarks
February 24, 2013 - 6:00 pm
Every Sunday @ 6:30 p.m. on 990 KRKS AM in Denver
Available 24/7 on www.Chavura.com
As Congregation Rodef Shalom prepares to celebrate its annual dinner next Sunday, we sit down with two of the congregation's longtime members - Janet Smith and Leslie Tjarks - to discuss the virtues of the Rodef Shalom community. Janet and Leslie will both be honored at the synagogue's Diamonds & Delicacies Gala on February 24th at 6:00 pm.
Janet first came to Rodef Shalom in 1964 as an out-of-state college student looking for a warm and embracing community that reminded her of her close-knit congregation in Waco, TX. Leslie joined Rodef Shalom in 1976, and instantly fell in love with the synagogue's participatory and egalitarian services. Since then, the two women have been dedicated leaders in the greater Colorado Jewish community.
Rabbi Bernard Gerson - senior rabbi and chief Colorado Rockies fan - also joins us to talk about the many wonderful educational, community and spiritual offerings that Rodef Shalom provides.
To attend the Rodef Shalom annual dinner: 303-399-0035
100 Years Ago Today: Goldie Enrolled at Denver's North High School
Goldie Mabovitch, a precocious 14-year-old who had run away from her parents' home in Milwaukee, enrolled as a student at Denver's North High School one hundred years ago today - February 17, 1913. It was as a student at North High that Goldie fell in love with the Zionist movement, politics, and her future husband.
She later wrote: "Denver was a turning point [in my life] because my real education began [there]." In 1969, Goldie Mabovitch - who became known as Golda Meir - was elected Israel's 4th Prime Minister, and (to this day) remains the only woman to have held the post.
Next Time on Radio Chavura: Purim 5773
The Radio Chavura Players Present the Exclusive World Debut of
When Paul Newman Met Golda Meir and
Inadvertently Inspired Shalom Aleichem
Some Shtik and a Kleine Shpiel by Maxwell Rotbart
Featuring (in alphabetical order):
"Dr. History" a.k.a. Maxwell Rotbart
Tevye the Milkman
STUDIO J at RADIO CHAVURA
Homegrown Colorado Jewish Music
Host: Julie Geller
Maybe it's the crisp mountain air. Maybe it's the snowmelt. Maybe it's the spiritual influence of our great Jewish day schools and educational programs.
Regardless, it is undisputed that Colorado's Jewish musical artists generate a unique vibe - a special feel that distinguishes them from the sounds of other Hebrew and Jewish groups.
Last week, we launched Studio J at Radio Chavura, an all-music edition of our program that will be hosted several times a year by our multi-talented musical director, Julie Geller.
Each edition of Studio J at Radio Chavura will highlight bands that are channeling the Rocky Mountain energy and producing awesome, original Jewish music.
In fact, the first band that Julie featured on last week's show was Sababa: Cool. Jewish. Music.
Sababa features Temple Emanuel's artist-in-residence, Steve Brodsky; Scott Leader of Arizona and Robbi Sherwin of Texas.
Julie also showcased two of the beloved songs of Or Zimrah, the house band of Congregation Har HaShem in Boulder, and the fun, rockin' tunes of Rocky Mountain Jewgrass: High Octane Jewish Bluegrass.
WARNING: Studio J at Radio Chavura has been known to cause listeners to leave their seats and start dancing. if you find yourself enjoying the show, please subscribe at Chavura.com.
Chavura Community Calendar
February 19 (Tuesday)
- Back to Basics Cooking with Nurit Wedgle: Challah, Babke & Hamantashe. Presented by BMH-BJ Women's League. Only $10 per person. Prepaid reservation appreciated. Contact Elaine at 303-951-8235 or by email: [email protected]
- Denver Jewish Chamber of Commerce - Q&A with Ethan Lazarus, M.D. * Fiocchi's Pizzeria Bar - @ 5:30 pm
- The Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab - Gun Violence Discussion * Moderated by Governor John Hickenlooper * The Seawell Grand Ballroom, Denver Performing Arts Complex (1000 14th Street, 80204) @ 6:30 p.m. * More information: 303-844-4000 ext. 4. Fee.
February 22 (Friday)
Mizel Museum - The Art of Shabbat: One Land, Two Stories * Featuring
Dr. Shaul Gabbay
and Amin Kazak
* 400 S. Kearney Street, 80224 - @ 6:30 p.m. * More information: 303-394-9993 * Kosher/Vegetarian Dinner
February 23 (Saturday)
- Purim in the City: Masquerade & Megillah Madness. Come in Costume, wear a Mask, Hear the Story, Have a Blast! BMH-BJ: The Denver Synagogue @ 6:30 pm. Royal Buffet & Carnival. $40 - Family Unit. $15 Individual. Babysitting available by reservation. 303-951-8226.
- Rocky Mountain Jewgrass - Purim Show * Come in costume to win prizes and join in the merriment! * Swallow Hill Music Association - @ 8:00 pm www.rockymountainjewgrass.com
February 24 (Sunday)
- Radio Chavura Purim Edition featuring the Radio Chavura Players. World Debut of a Jewish Play, "When Paul Newman Met Golda Meir" written and directed by Maxwell Rotbart. 990 KRKS AM @ 6:30 pm. Performers include Julia Greenwald, Adam Schneiderman and Shmuel Michaels.
- Congregation Rodef Shalom Annual Gala Event * "Diamonds and Delicacies" honoring Leslie Tjarks and Janet Smith (Rodef Shalom Social Hall - @ 6:00 pm) * RSVP @ 303-399-0035
- Western Center for Russian Jewry - Purim in Hawaii featuring Megillah reading, exotic bird show, Hawaiian food and tropical drinks, hair braiding, hula hoop contest, and much more! 295 S. Locust Street - 4 pm to 7 pm. Fee. Details and RSVP at 303-399-8917
- Join Rabbi Ben Greenberg of The Denver Synagogue (BMH-BJ Congregation) for a Seudat Purim @ 5 p.m. Megillah reading, discussion and meal (Chinese delight). Bring your own OU mevushal wine. Prepaid reservations appreciated. Deadline: Thursday, February 20th. $10 each. For details phone: 303-951-8235.
February 26 (Tuesday)
Denver Community Kollel - 15th Anniversary Celebration * Awarding
Rabbi Yehuda Amsel * McNichols Civic Center Building - @ 6:30 pm * More information @303-820-2855
March 2 (Saturday)
Yeshiva Toras Chaim Board of Directors and Women's Auxiliary - Melave Malka * Featuring world-renown musical sensation Sruli Williger * 1555 Stuart Street, 80204 - @8 pm. RSVP: 303-629-8200
March 3 (Sunday)
DAT School - 20th Annual Dinner * Honoring Dr. Peggy Kasloff, Cantor Zachary & Trude Kutner, and Jeff Wilson.
Cocktails and silent auction @ 5:00 pm. Dinner @ 6:30 pm. Location: The Denver Synagogue (BMH-BJ Congregration). Registration.
March 8 (Friday)
Congregation Har HaShem - Or Zimrah * Musical Shabbat Service and Dinner * (3950 Baseline Road * Boulder, CO * 80303 - @ 6:00 pm) * RSVP: www.harhashem.org
March 14 (Thursday)
Denver Jewish Day School Annual Dinner - "Heart & Soul
" - honoring Marla
& David Brown
& Jonathan Perlmutter
, and Amy Tolz-Miller
. Location: BMH-BJ Congregation. Cocktails @ 5:30 pm. Program and Dinner @ 6:15 pm. Learn more at: www.DenverJDS.org
March 16 (Saturday)
Temple Micah's Wild West Saloon * Put on yer best Western duds and a poker face too for a night of gaming, do-si-do, good grub, carousin' and schmoozin' (Crystal Rose * 9755 E. Hampden Ave. - @ 7:00 pm) * RSVP @ 303-388-4239 x1
April 7 (Sunday)
Colorado Holocaust Survivors Memorial Service * Scheduled speakers include Rabbi Raphael Leban, Rabbi Zev Pomeranz, and Adam Leventhal * Chairwoman: Tana Rosenberg (JCC - @ 4:00 pm)
Send calendar notices for your organization's upcoming events to us at: [email protected]il.com.
We are proud to enjoy the friendship and sponsorship of these fine businesses. Please visit them and let them know you are part of the Radio Chavura community.
Click on Image Above to View Full Page
On Sunday, January 27th, the greater Denver Jewish community gathered at the Hebrew Educational Alliance to commemorate the 68th Anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau. The ceremony, which was organized by Tami Ellison and The Yizkor Project, featured local guest speakers; the moving music of the Carol Kozak Ward's Colorado Hebrew Chorale; and the talents of the Kol Ami Community Players, directed by Alan Schreiber.
The Kol Ami Community Players produced Voices from Auschwitz - Where Truth Speaks, a portrayal of post-Holocaust war crimes trials. Many of the participants in the program were students from the Denver Academy of Torah and Denver Jewish Day School, each reflecting a dedication to ensuring that the horrors of the Shoah will not be forgotten. To learn more about The Yizkor Project and its mission, please visit www.theyizkorproject.org.
OTHER PREVIOUS RADIO CHAVURA PROGRAMS
- Dr. Herzl Melmed, one of Denver's premier Zionist leaders and Chairman of ActionIsrael, a grassroots organization dedicated to actively supporting Israel. Dr. Melmed is also co-founder of the highly regarded Middle East Study Group, which meets monthly.
Lt. Col. Dr. Mordechai Kedar, a professor of Arab Studies at Bar-Ilan University and an expert on Islam, Islamic movements, gender issues in Islam, Arabic mass media, popular culture in the Arab world, state and society in the Arab world.
- Rabbi Yehuda Amsel, a teacher and friend to hundreds of grateful Colorado families. He will be the recipient of a Denver Community Kollel award at the Kollel's 15th Anniversary Celebration on February 26th.
September 23, 2012:
Two of Colorado's premier Jewish educational directors: Sue Parker Gerson
of the Colorado Agency for Jewish Education
and Mordechai Hoffman
of Hillel Academy
of Denver. Both Sue and Mordechai stress the importance of life-long Jewish learning and what their individual institutions contribute to our community.
July 8, 2012: As he returns to Australia, Rabbi Selwyn Franklin, the departing BMH-BJ Congregation senior rabbi, shares some highlights of his time in Colorado and a recommendation for his successor.
DID YOU SPOT THESE NEWS and FEATURE ITEMS?
(CBS - Denver)
By Rabbi Levi Brackman (Ynet News)
From Ethiopian Orphanage to Jewish Day School: Mesfin Hodes Makes Inspirational Journey of Hope (The Jewish Daily Forward)
Sonny's Rocks Closing Jewelry Store (Denver Business Journal)
* For additional articles, videos and photos of interest throughout the week, follow Talya on Facebook.
It's Time to Address Jewish Day School Tuition
Denver has five top-tier Jewish schools - Beth Jacob, Denver Academy of Torah, Denver Jewish Day School, Hillel Academy, and Yeshiva Toras Chaim.
Sadly, these schools are often under-funded, and parents increasingly must struggle to afford Jewish day school tuition.
As 2012 drew to a close, hosts Maxwell and Dean Rotbart shared two of their ideas for solving the day school tuition crisis without raising rates, refusing students, or turning to government funding. How is this possible?
Hear the full show online now by clicking here.
Listen to the full show - without music - by clicking here.
We invite you to share your thoughts on how to best fund Jewish day schools. Email: [email protected] or phone 1-855-JEWISH-4.
|Can't listen live to Radio Chavura? You can hear this week's full show right now, here. All previous broadcasts are available at: www.chavura.com)
Dean and Maxwell Rotbart
Radio Chavura Co-Hosts
|Radio Chavura Is An Official Sponsor