Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter 
To advertise in Downtown Post NYC, email 

News and Events
in Lower Manhattan
Volume 2, No. 80 Dec. 31, 2015

"I always think that, if I don't try to do the very best that I can, I won't be able to receive those assignments. The gods will be disappointed with me."
     - Navajo jeweler Lee Yazzie explaining why he works for months making a single item of jewelry. His usual output is two pieces a year.           

* Calendar: Week of Dec. 28 

WEATHER INFORMATION: For current weather information, click here.

IF YOU LIKE DOWNTOWN POST NYC - Downtown Post NYC is emailed free to subscribers, but if you like DPNYC and want to support it, you can do that in three ways. 1) Support Downtown Post's advertisers by clicking on their ads, and if you use their services, tell them that you read about them in DPNYC. 2) Consider advertising in DPNYC if you have a business, service or event that you want to promote. 3) Tell people about DPNYC and suggest that they subscribe. They can sign up at

Go to for updates on breaking news.

All ads in Downtown Post NYC have clickable links. Click on an ad for more information.

MASTHEAD PHOTO: Sweet autumn clematis blooming on the Battery Park City esplanade. Dec. 25, 2015.  (Photo: Terese Loeb Kreuzer) 

Downtown Post Arts
Two bracelets designed and made by Raymond Yazzie in an exhibition at the National Museum of the American Indian called "Glittering World: Navajo Jewelry of the Yazzie Family." (Photos: Terese Loeb Kreuzer)

The reservation belonging to the Navajo Nation sprawls over 27,000 square miles in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah - a land of sacred mountains, intensely red sandstone carved by wind and rain into majestic structures, a country of dry desert and prickly, low-lying brush, a landscape with intensely blue skies and multi-colored sunrises and sunsets that cast long, purple shadows.

This is home to the Yazzie family whose work is being honored with an exhibition at the National Museum of the American Indian called "Glittering World: Navajo Jewelry of the Yazzie Family."

Most of the members of the Yazzie family make jewelry. Among them, Lee, born in 1946, and
Raymond Yazzie
his brother Raymond, born in 1959, are preeminent. "You will not find finer jewelers in the world than Lee and Raymond Yazzie," said Lois Sherr Dubin, curator of the exhibition and author of a handsome book that accompanies it.

The brothers work with the most exquisite of materials: turquoise from the finest mines, coral, opals, lapis lazuli, sugilite, ivory and fossils set in gold and silver. Unusual among Navajo jewelers, they are equally adept at metallurgy and at stone cutting and setting.

They are perfectionists, laboring for months over each piece that they produce. "I always think that, if I don't try to do the very best that I can, I won't be able to receive those assignments," Lee Yazzie said. "The gods will be disappointed with me. So I have that feeling of always trying to make a piece to the best of my abilities."

Lee and Raymond's work sells for between $15,000 and $100,000, when it is available.

But "They started out in very humble circumstances," said Kathleen Ash-Milby, curator of Contemporary Native American Art at the museum. The entire family of 12 children and two
Kathleen Ash-Milby wearing a necklace designed by Raymond Yazzie and standing in front of a case of rings designed by Lee Yazzie.
adults lived in a 64 square foot, one-room hogan when the boys were growing up. Both parents were silversmiths, but since they worked with expensive materials supplied to them by traders in a barter system, the children were not allowed to practice jewelry making. They learned by watching.

"Lee works in more traditional forms and does a lot of work with light and shadow," said Ash-Milby. "Ray is an amazing colorist. He uses a lot of coral [partially because high-grade turquoise became increasingly difficult to obtain]. He mixes a lot of stones and builds his work in a way that is almost architectural."

The name of the exhibition, the "Glittering World," refers to the Navajo creation story. There were three dark worlds, the Navajo say, stacked on top of each other. Finally a locust emerged from a dark world and saw a world that was covered with water. It glittered and everything looked white. Other beings followed the locust.

"In the exhibition, you emerge from the dark into the glittering world," said Dubin. The first rooms depict the Navajo landscape and the relationship of the work to beliefs and the landscape. Then there is a section on the historical context and the development of Navajo jewelry over time.

"The Yazzies grew up with traditional beliefs," Dubin said. They absorbed these beliefs and express them in their art."

This art has taken the Yazzies a long way from the hogan where they grew up, but they are still firmly anchored in what they learned and experienced as children.

"They have suffered as a culture terribly," Dubin said of the Navajo, "but what interested me deeply was the concept of finding a balance, which is a tenet in all native groups. The idea of finding the balance means that you don't hate and that has translated to me to a remarkable culture of people who try very hard to see ways of working things out. And that's also one of the concepts of this exhibition - finding the balance means balancing out the sacred and the secular. It means that as a Navajo you're earning a living with your jewelry but you also tell your culture in it because you create what you know about."

                                                    - Terese Loeb Kreuzer
The National Museum of the American Indian is at 1 Bowling Green. It is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission is free. "Glittering World" will close on Sunday, Jan. 10.

A bracelet made of Lone Mountain turquoise and silver designed and created by Lee Yazzie in the early 1970s.   

Downtown Post Shopping
Dolly Figueroa in the pop-up shop associated with the National Museum of the American Indian's exhibit, "Glittering World: Navajo Jewelry of the Yazzie Family," arranges a necklace and earring set made of Royston turquoise that sells for $4,000.
(Photos: Terese Loeb Kreuzer)

Visitors exit the National Museum of the American Indian's exhibit "Glittering World: Navajo Jewelry of the Yazzie Family" in a pop-up shop with a tempting array of  Navajo jewelry. There are necklaces, bracelets, earrings, bolo ties, belt buckles and concho belts, some of them made by members of the Yazzie family. All of the craftsmanship is excellent and the materials, of high quality. 

A necklace of yellow opal by Colina Yazzie, Raymond Yazzie's wife, sells for $1,000. There are necklaces of silver beads made by Sheena Long Yazzie and Taisheena Long Yazzie. Turquoise necklaces cost between $105 and $175. Earrings made by Jennifer Begay cost $400.

Members of the National Museum of the American Indian get a 10 percent discount. The shop will be open until Jan. 10, 2016, when the "Glittering World" exhibition closes. The museum at 1 Bowling Green is open daily, with free admission.

- Terese Loeb Kreuzer

Earrings made of silver inset with spiny oyster by Navajo silversmith Jennifer Begay.

Bits & Bytes

 Brookfield Place shopping. (Photo: Terese Loeb Kreuzer)

"John McEnroe looking to score downtown," New York Post, 12/23/15. "It may not fit under a tree, but a luxury condo still makes a great holiday gift!" the New York Post observes. "Tennis legend John McEnroe and his wife Patty Smyth, the singer/songwriter and ex-wife of punk rocker Richard Hell, are on an epic and exhaustive downtown Manhattan house hunt. The couple, who in 2013 sold a unit in the classic Emery Roth-designed Beresford, at 211 Central Park West, 'have been looking at every major apartment downtown that is more than $12 million,' according to one top broker." Among the buildings they've looked at "is Ralph Walker Tribeca at 100 Barclay, a tower designed by architect and art deco mogul Ralph Walker in 1927, around the same time that the Beresford was constructed uptown." For the complete article, click here.

For more about the McEnroe/Smyth househunting endeavors, check out The Real Deal, 12/24/15. "Tennis ace John McEnroe hoping to net Downtown pad," is the headline.  The Real Deal describes the Ralph Walker apartment as "The 4,000-square-foot, four-bedroom pad features a gym, a pool and a media room, and has a 852-square-foot terrace." The Real Deal notes that the building "was completed in 1930. The 943,000-square-foot, 32-story building is home to 161 condo units, along with office space on the lower floors." For the complete article, click here.

"Sources: World Trade Center Oculus to open in March," Politico, 12/23/15. "The white-marble main concourse at the Santiago Calatrava-designed, $4 billion World Trade Center Transportation Hub has been slated to open in early March, according to two knowledgeable sources," cited by Politico. "The opening of the Oculus at the PATH train station - a steel-winged structure that's meant to evoke a bird - will mark the end of a more than decade-long process, one that has garnered scathing criticism for the project's cost overruns, and which damaged the designer's reputation. The temporary PATH train station at the site now serves some 44,000 passengers making their way to and from New Jersey. The Port Authority, which made the decision on the timing of the Oculus opening, estimates the new hub will ultimately serve some 200,000 passengers and visitors. (By way of comparison, Penn Station serves 600,000.) " For the complete article, click here.

"The elusive Chinese billionaire behind this Wall St. vacancy," New York Post, 12/27/15.
"A prominent piece of New York City real estate is kept vacant by a shadowy Chinese billionaire who goes by as many as seven different aliases," says the New York Post. "If New Yorkers resent overseas 'investment' in their city, it's because of situations like the one at 23 Wall St., a mystery that stretches from Houston to ­Angola to Beijing. The billionaire in question is one Sam Pa, an elusive figure as colorful as a James Bond arch-villain. No matter what name he uses, he has a taste for women and fast cars - though he might not be seen or heard from again for a long time to come. The globe-trotting Pa was busted two months ago by Communist Party authorities probing corruption in China's energy industry. His arrest casts a new cloud over 23 Wall St., which is owned by a company Pa controls and has stood dark since 2003. The 101-year-old landmark at the corner of Wall and Broad streets is the ghost ship of a district which has filled with new residents, stores and hotels." For the complete article, click here.

"City Hall, a Restaurant Hangout for Officials in TriBeCa, Is Closing," New York Times, 12/25/15. "City Hall is closing - the restaurant at 131 Duane Street in TriBeCa in Manhattan, not City Hall, the seat of government a couple of blocks away," says The New York Times. "The one became something of a hangout for people from the other: lawmakers and lobbyists, commissioners and City Council types. Judges from the nearby courthouses also became regulars. Barack Obama ate there before he became president, and Bill Clinton after his term ended. They were comfortable in the open dining room, with its cast-iron columns and black-and-white photographs of long-gone street scenes that paid tribute to old New York. The restaurant opened in October 1998, according to its website. With the help of the city's Department of Homeless Services, it has served lunch on Christmas Eve to homeless people since its second year in business. David N. Dinkins, the former mayor, showed up one year and mingled as the food was served. But the restaurant will shut down on Dec. 31." For the complete article, click here.

"New Condo Projects Dress Up TriBeCa," New York Times, 12/25/15. "Pity poor Warren Street, a six-block stretch in southern TriBeCa that even residents concede has been at best nondescript for decades," says The New York Times. "But few places seem to stay rough-edged for long in the current boom. And Warren is no exception. Two condominium projects at Nos. 12 and 30 are attempting to make a fashionable address out of a once ho-hum street." For the complete article, click here.

"'Running With Scissors' Author Ditches Battery Park City Pad,", 12/30/15. "New York Times bestselling author Augusten Burroughs of Running With Scissors fame has sold his Battery Park City studio for a very not-stellar $637,000-well, not-stellar by celebrity standards, anyway," reports. The studio apartment at 225 Rector Place was purchased by Burroughs' former partner, Dennis Pilsits, "for just over $600,000. He transferred the property over to Burroughs after they split up in 2011. The studio has 615 square feet of space and offers views of the Hudson River." For the complete article, click here.

"Shop the Pain Away," New York Times, 12/31/15. "Like many people, I shop to forget," says Jon Caramanica in his confessional article in The New York Times. "The endorphins that a good shopping excursion can trigger are real, but they are distractions, instruments of avoidance and denial. Is it any wonder we chase them so relentlessly? How else to explain Brookfield Place, the luxury mall, of a sort, now flowering at 200 Vesey Street, across the street from ground zero? It is a testament to the resilience of our real estate developers, if not our national mood. Here, at the heart of the city's suffering, we are being told to shop: To spend is to be healed." Caramanica explores many of Brookfield Place's stores, trying on clothing with stratospheric price tags and finally buying a few things and sating his hunger at Le District. For the complete article, click here.

Downtown Post Arts
"Night at the Fulton Fish Market" by Naima Rauam
Ten years have passed since fishmongers last sold their wares on South Street and the neighboring streets of the South Street Seaport, but Naima Rauam has not forgotten. She continues to paint and draw the activity of the Fulton Fish Market so vividly that the sounds and smells of the place that captured her heart are almost as present as her re-creation of the sights.

Under the title, "Remembering Fulton Fish Market," some of her art is on display at 207A Front St. through Jan. 10.

Naima Rauam. (Photo: Terese Loeb Kreuzer)
The old Fulton Fish Market was astonishing, thronged with trucks and handcarts at night that disappeared shortly after dawn. By the time office workers began to troop through the Seaport around 8 a.m., almost all remnants of what had existed the night before had been swept away except for the seagulls foraging for scraps.

The fish market that Rauam knew had its roots in the Fulton Market of 1822, where foodstuffs of all kinds were sold to local residents. The fishmongers thrived and expanded. By mid-century, the Fulton Fish Market had become a wholesale one, as residents and the other food merchants moved uptown. A hundred and fifty years later, an average of a million pounds of seafood came through South Street nightly, for distribution throughout the New York City metropolitan area and beyond.

"I vividly recall Friday morning, November 11, 2005," Rauam said. "It was the end of not only a week of business, but also the end of an era for the fish market. As the reckless debris of a night's work in the fish trade was swept away, and the last fish trucks headed out, moving vans came to gorge on scales, display bins, hand trucks, desks, filing cabinets, cash registers, computers, mementos worthless and priceless, and whatever else a sales floor, cashier's booth, or upstairs office could hold. By Sunday night, the mass exodus had stripped South Street of the country's largest wholesale seafood market. Only empty buildings and the smell of fish remained."

Rauam has been painting fish market scenes since the mid-1960s. She had a studio in one or another fish house until 2005. Though the fish market is gone, it continues to haunt her. She remains at the Seaport to paint what she remembers and what remains.

Remembering Fulton Fish Market Art Exhibit by Naima Rauam. Through Jan. 10, 2016. Place: Fulton Stall Market, 207A Front St. Time: Noon to 6 p.m. daily.

"Looking Down Front Street" by Naima Rauam

Downtown bulletin board
SeaGlass Carousel in The Battery will be open on Saturdays and Sundays in January and February, weather permitting. (Photo: Terese Loeb Kreuzer)
Stockings with Care still seeking donations: Stockings With Care, a charity co-founded by Battery Park City resident Rosalie Joseph, has already collected, wrapped and dispatched holiday presents for 1,400 children in New York City shelters or who are otherwise at risk. The presents are given to the child's family to give to the child and are based on a wish list that the child provided. Donors are invited to play "Santa" and to shop for a child whose wish list they have in hand. But this year, Joseph writes, 100 children on the Stockings With Care list didn't have Santas. So that these children wouldn't be disappointed, Stockings With Care dipped into its own funds to provide presents. "Please donate today to help cover the cost of their gifts and other drive necessities!" Joseph asks. "No amount is too small." To donate, click here. Contributions are tax deductible.

Brewer's office accepting capital funding applications:
The office of Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer is accepting capital funding applications from schools, cultural institutions and nonprofits for Fiscal Year 2017. The deadline for submissions is Feb. 12. In FY 2016, Brewer's office awarded $30 million for Manhattan capital projects. Representatives of organizations interested in applying for capital funding grants should schedule a meeting with staff from the Borough President's office. Email For more information on eligibility, click here

Permits for Governors Island's 2016 public season:
The Trust for Governors Island has started accepting OpenHouseGI permit applications for Governors Island's 2016 public access season. OpenHouseGI offers 150,000 square feet of indoor space in historic houses and 25 acres of outdoor space free of charge to any organization that creates programming that is free and open to the public during the Island's public season. In 2016, Governors Island will be open daily from May 28 through Sept. 25. The Island will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends, Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day.

In 2015, more than 65 organizations produced art exhibits, festivals, workshops, theatre and dance performances and recreational and sports programs which were enjoyed by 450,000 visitors.

OpenHouseGI offers more than two dozen former officers' homes in Nolan Park and Colonels Row for groups to use.  The 2016 season will be divided into two sessions for these indoor spaces. Session I runs from May 28 to July 25 and Session II runs from July 26 to Sept. 25. Groups wishing to use indoor spaces apply for only one of the two sessions. Groups using indoor spaces for the first half of the season may have the opportunity to extend through the second session, if space is available.

OpenHouseGI also offers 25 acres of outdoor space for programs.  Historic District green spaces include the Colonels Row Festival Grounds, Parade Ground, Nolan Park and the South Battery. The Play Lawn and other areas in the Island's new park, open to the public since 2014, are also available for programming.

When applying to OpenHouseGI, organizations can propose programming for a day, multiple days, a week or multiple weeks. Organizations can also propose season-long installations and programs. The Island typically welcomes 8,000 visitors each weekend day and last year welcomed 450,000 visitors over the course of the season. More than 75 percent of visitors to the Island are from New York City.

The permit process is open and transparent for all. Organizations are responsible for their own budgets, staffing and other program-specific responsibilities and expenses. Permits are issued for a single season and all organizations, including those that have participated previously in OpenHouseGI, must complete a permit application for 2016. Once groups submit their permit application, Trust for Governors Island staff will contact applicants within two weeks.

The permit application, as well as information needed by organizations to apply for the 2016 season, is available by clicking here. As noted on the website, for programs that are free and open to the public, no site fees are required.

The Trust will open additional permit processes for Governors Island on Jan. 15. On this date, the process for food vendors will open, as well as the permit process for the Island's two natural turf ball fields.  Jan. 15 is the date that permits open for ball fields used in the spring season elsewhere in the City of New York. As with other public ball fields in New York City parks, preference will be given to youth groups, schools and leagues from across the City. The fields will be open for use during daylight hours from May 28 to Sept. 25.

Friday nights at the Whitney: From 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays, admission to the Whitney Museum of American Art at 99 Gansevoort St. is now "pay what you wish." The reduced admission charge has been made possible by a gift from The Donald and Barbara Zucker Family Foundation. Tickets usually cost $22 for adults and $18 for seniors. They are free to members and to visitors under 18. Current exhibitions include a Frank Stella retrospective and a show of the paintings of Archibald John Motley Jr. (1891-1981), who first came to prominence in the 1920s during the early days of the Harlem Renaissance. The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney (1875−1942),  houses the foremost collection of American art from the 20th and 21st centuries. For more information, click here.

Open auditions for Downtown Voices: Are you interested in singing alongside members of the Grammy®-nominated Choir of Trinity Wall Street? Trinity is looking for experienced volunteer singers to join Downtown Voices, a newly formed choir bringing together the finest professional and non-professional singers in the New York metro area. The choir rehearses once a week and is directed by Stephen Sands. Spring performances include works by Beethoven, Alberto Ginastera, and James MacMillan. Audition date: Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016. Place: Trinity Church choir room (Broadway at Wall Street). Time: Slots open starting at 11 a.m. For more information including audition requirements, click here.

Community Board applications open: The Manhattan Borough President's office is currently accepting applications for Community Board membership. Community Boards represent their neighborhoods on crucial issues including real estate development and land use, historic preservation and even liquor licenses. There are 12 Community Boards in Manhattan and 59 citywide.

"Right now Manhattan's Community Boards are in the center of a debate over the most ambitious rezoning proposals in a generation," said Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer. "Community Boards may be New York City's most grassroots level of government, but they are deeply involved in some of our city's biggest policy questions. If you want to make a difference on anything from investment in our parks and public spaces, to determining the future of our city's skyline and streetscape, Community Boards are the place to start."

Community Board members are appointed to staggered two-year terms by the Manhattan Borough President, with half selected solely by the Borough President and half nominated by the City Council members representing each Community Board district. Since taking office, Brewer has enhanced the selection process by introducing online applications and a robust review process that includes group interviews with discussion and problem-solving components.

Community Board selections for 2016 will be announced in late March.

Although each Community Board has a small, paid administrative staff, Community Board members are volunteers.

If you would like to join your Community Board, fill out the online application by Jan. 29, 2016 at 5 p.m. After submission, you will be contacted regarding the next steps in the screening and interview process. For more information about Manhattan's 12 Community Boards, go to Manhattan Borough President Brewer's website or email Paola Liriano.

For the online application, click here.
For Manhattan Borough President Brewer's website, click here

The rink at Brookfield Place:
The ice skating rink at Brookfield Place is offering free skating classes on Jan. 9 at 10 a.m. or 10:45 a.m. Register for a one-time free class at

Public skating hours are weekdays, 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and weekends from 10:15 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. The rates are $15 (single session of 90 minutes); $5, skate rental; $200, individual season pass; $500, family of three season pass. Group rates, classes, private rentals and private lessons available. For more information, email, call (917) 391-8982 or click here
Downtown Post Portfolio: Downtown Post Portfolio is a feature in Downtown Post NYC, showcasing artists and photographers who live and/or work south of Canal Street or who create images (paintings, drawings, photographs) of Lower Manhattan.

To have your work considered for publication in Downtown Post Portfolio, send up to seven high-resolution jpeg files attached to an email to (One of the photos should be a picture of you.) Several of these photos will be published in Downtown Post NYC, along with a short artist bio and a statement about the work submitted, including whether or not it is for sale and how to purchase it.

Not all entries can be published. Copyright remains with the artist. Before publication, each contributor will be asked to sign a release stating that Downtown Post NYC has the right to publish the work in the emailed newsletter and in the Downtown Post archives, and that there is no payment.

South Street Seaport Museum on Schermerhorn Row: To see photographs of some of the artifacts inside the South Street Seaport Museum's premises on Schermerhorn Row and photos of past exhibitions, click here.

Downtown Post Portfolio: Jay Fine: Jay Fine is a New York City fine-art photographer and photojournalist, based in Lower Manhattan whose work was featured in Downtown Post Portfolio (DPNYC, 5/6/15). To see some more of Fine's work on the Downtown Post NYC website, click here.

Gracie Mansion: Artifacts and Tours: Gracie Mansion, the official residence of New York City's mayors at 88th Street and East End Avenue, was built in 1799 as a country retreat for financier Archibald Gracie and his family. At the time, the gracious, Federal-style house was five miles outside the city limits - and at that time, the city limits would have meant what we now call "Lower Manhattan." A recently installed exhibit of paintings, sculptures and documents called "Windows on the City: Looking Out at Gracie's New York" sheds light on what our neighborhood was like at the turn
A painting in Gracie Mansion by Louisa Ann Coleman depicts Front Street from Main to Fulton Streets in the area of Brooklyn now covered by the entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge. It shows the architectural and social character of the village in the 1820's. (On loan from the Museum of the City of New York)
of the 19th century. Slavery was still legal, and there was a slave market at the foot of Wall Street. Clipper ships plied the harbor, taking cargo in some cases to and from Asia - a recently opened market. The streets were noisy with the raucous calls of vendors selling oysters, ice, charcoal, milk and many other goods and services. Immigrants began to arrive in greater numbers, many of them living in crowded tenements and working at monotonous, low-paying jobs. The city, already diverse from the time of the Dutch settlers in the early 17th century, became even more so. For more about Gracie Mansion and to see photographs, click here. Free tours are available on Jan. 5, 12, 19 and 26 and Feb. 2, 9 and 16. To register for a tour, click here.

SeaGlass Carousel: After 10 years of design and fundraising and a setback named "Sandy," the SeaGlass Carousel in The Battery opened on Aug. 19 to universal critical acclaim and rapturous crowds. Downtown Post NYC was there for the opening. Read about the carousel and see photos by clicking here. SeaGlass Carousel is currently open Sunday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.  "Crowds are still coming, but wait time is typically minimal," according to a spokesperson for the Battery Conservancy. "The line is rarely longer than 15 minutes." Due to popular demand, the Battery Conservancy has extended operating hours for SeaGlass Carousel. Through Saturday, Jan. 2, SeaGlass will be open 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. In January and February, SeaGlass will be open on Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., weather permitting. SeaGlass will also be open on Monday, Jan. 18 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day), and Presidents' Week, Feb. 15-19. For updates on changes to operating hours, follow The Battery Conservancy on Twitter and Facebook. Admission to SeaGlass Carousel is $5 per ride.  Access to The Battery is free and open to the public.

Wavertree video: The South Street Seaport Museum's 1885 sailing ship, Wavertree, is currently at Caddell Drydock on Staten Island, where the ship is undergoing a $10.6 million refurbishment. The museum has created a video to show the progress of the overhaul. To see the video, click here.

Downtown Post NYC photos for sale: If would like to buy prints of a photograph that has appeared in Downtown Post NYC, email with your request for more information about sizes and prices.

CalendarCALENDAR: Week of Dec. 28

Rachel Policar as Goldele in "The Golden Bride," a Yiddish operetta presented by the National Yiddish Theatre Folksbiene at the Museum of Jewish Heritage.
(Photo: Terese Loeb Kreuzer)
Jan. 2: The National Yiddish Theatre Folksbiene's production of The Golden Bride / Di Goldene Kale at the Museum of Jewish Heritage revives a Yiddish operetta first performed in 1923. Goldele, a poor girl from the shtetl, inherits a fortune from her estranged father and embarks on a mission to find both her long-lost mother and her husband-to-be. Joseph Rumshinsky's original score is performed by a full orchestra in this lavish production. Through Jan. 3, 2016.  Place: 36 Battery Place. Tickets: $40; $30 (Museum of Jewish Heritage and National Yiddish Theatre Folksbiene members). To buy tickets, call (866) 811-4111 or  
click here. For a video with clips of the performance, click here.

Jan. 2:  Franz Schubert's Winterreise, op. 89 will be performed by Christopher Dylan Herbert, baritone. Place: St. Paul's Chapel (Broadway at Fulton Street). Time: 5 p.m. Free. For more information, click here.

Jan. 2: "The Play of Daniel" originated in the 12th century. GEMS repeats its acclaimed production of the Latin play, incorporating music, chant, song and dance with a prologue in English. Also, Jan. 3. Place: Trinity Church (Broadway at Wall Street). Time: 7 p.m. (On Jan. 3, two performances, one at 3 p.m. and one at 7 p.m.) Tickets: $65; $45; $25. Students with ID and children under 18: $65; $35; $15. For more information and to buy tickets, click here.
Jan. 3: Compline by Candlelight with Lessons and Carols provides a meditative, musical conclusion to the week. Place: St. Paul's Chapel (Broadway and Fulton Street). Time: 8 p.m. Free.

Jan. 4:  The Choir of Trinity Wall Street and Trinity Baroque Orchestra perform the cantatas of Johann Sebastian Bach each week as part of "Bach at One." A devout Lutheran, Bach composed 200 cantatas using both sacred and secular texts. Today, Georg Muffat: Passacaglia;
BWV 115, Mache dich, mein Geist, bereit; BWV 205, Zerreißet, zersprenget, zertrümmert die Gruft. Julian Wachner, conductor. Place: St. Paul's Chapel (Broadway at Fulton Street). Time: 1 p.m. Free. For more information, click here.

Ongoing: "City Lives," an exhibit of painting, sculpture, photography, printmaking, film, video and ceramics, runs at the Borough of Manhattan Community College's Shirley Fiterman Art Center through Jan. 16, 2016. The art is available for sale with proceeds benefiting the BMCC Foundation Scholarship Fund. Place: 81 Barclay St. Open Tues.-Sat., noon to 6 p.m. For more information, click here.

Ongoing: Work by Trevor Winkfield showcases his visionary contributions to the overall aesthetic of poetry publishing. Place: Poets House, 10 River Terrace in Battery Park City.  Exhibition will be on view through Jan. 10, 2016 during regular hours for Poets House. Free. For more information, click here.

Ongoing: "America in Circulation: A History of US Currency Featuring the Collection of Mark R. Shenkman," an exhibition at the Museum of American Finance, showcases around 250 rare examples of American paper money accompanied by large, interactive touch screen displays. From Colonial times, American money has told a fascinating story of the country's struggles and successes. Often local and national currencies competed and coexisted with each other, while economic depression, war and counterfeiting drove constant advances in design. The exhibition spans the period from the Colonial era to the present day. Highlights include rare examples of currency bearing the signatures of signers of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence; a complete set of notes from the Educational Series of 1896, renowned for being the most beautiful paper money in American history; and rare examples of high denomination notes including $5,000 and $10,000 bills. Through March 2018. To see an online version of the exhibition, click here. Place: 48 Wall St. Museum is open Tues.-Sat., 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission: $8; $5 (students and seniors); free (museum members and kids 6 and under). For more information, click here.

: "Cerámica de los Ancestros: Central America's Past Revealed" displays 155 ancient objects from the National Museum of the American Indian's rarely seen collections of Central American ceramics. The exhibition examines seven regions representing distinct Central American cultural areas that are today part of Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama, where Central America's first inhabitants lived. Dating back to 1000 B.C., the ceramics help tell the story of the innumerable achievements of these ancient civilizations, each with unique, sophisticated ways of life, value systems and arts. Through January 2017. Place: 1 Bowling Green. The National Museum of the American Indian is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and on Thursdays, until 8 p.m. Free. For more information, click here.  

Ongoing: The Museum of Jewish Heritage presents "Designing Home: Jews and Midcentury Modernism," an exhibition that explores the cultural context in which many Jewish émigré architects and designers created a distinctly modern American design that still has wide appeal today.  Through Jan. 17, 2016. Place: 36 Battery Place. For more information, click here.

Ongoing: The Skyscraper Museum's exhibition, "Ten Tops," surveys all buildings in the world today, completed or under construction, that are 100 stories and taller. Of these 24 towers, the exhibition focuses on 10 (plus a few more), zooming in on their uppermost floors to see how they were designed and constructed. Through February 2016. Place: 39 Battery Place. Hours: Noon to 6 p.m., Wednesdays to Sundays. Admission: $5; $2.50 (students and seniors). For more information, click here.

Ongoing: The Woolworth Building was designed by Cass Gilbert to house the offices of the F. W. Woolworth Company and was the tallest building in the world from 1913 until 1930. With its ornamental gothic-style exterior, it dominated the New York City skyline and served as an icon of American ingenuity with state of the art steel construction, fireproofing and high-speed elevators and it was dubbed "the Cathedral of Commerce." The building is still privately owned and operated, and has long been closed to the public. Tours of its magnificent landmarked lobby featuring marble, mosaics, and murals have only recently been made available and can be taken for 30-minutes, 60-minutes or 90-minutes. Custom and Private tours for groups of 10 - 35 can also be arranged. Place: 233 Broadway. Various times. Tickets: $20, $30 and $45, depending on the length of the tour. For more information and to buy tickets, click here.

Ongoing: "Glittering World: Navajo Jewelry of the Yazzie Family" opened on Nov. 14 and continues through Jan. 10, 2016. The exhibit includes more than 300 examples of beautifully crafted jewelery, most of it made by the Yazzie family, with some from the National Museum of the American Indian's collection. Through a video, photographs and a handsome catalog, the exhibit shows how the jewelry expresses Navajo cultural values and way of life inspired by a majestic landscape of buttes, mesas and desert. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily and on Thursdays until 8 p.m.; closed December 25. Admission is free. 
Ongoing: "A Town Known as Auschwitz" is an exhibit of photographs at the Museum of Jewish Heritage tracing the history of a town called "Oswiecim" in what is now Poland, where Jews and non-Jews lived side by side for centuries. When German forces occupied the town in September 1939, they renamed it "Auschwitz" and established a concentration and death camp there. More than 1 million people died at Auschwitz, including 90 percent of the town's Jews. The museum is at 36 Battery Place. For information the exhibit, click here. For information on the museum's hours and admission fees, click here.

Ongoing: "Defining Lines: Maps from the 1700s and early 1800s" at the Fraunces Tavern
Museum. Twenty-seven maps provide a perspective on the evolving nation's place in history. A map from 1804, never before exhibited, shows the U.S. postal routes. Place: 54 Pearl St. Time: Noon to 5 p.m., daily. Admission fees: $7; $4 (seniors, students with ID, children, 6 to 8 years old. Children, 5 and under, free. Active military with ID, free. For more information, click here.

Ongoing: Fraunces Tavern Museum's exhibition, "Lafayette," opened in May to complement the docking of the Marquis de Lafayette's replica ship, L'Hermione at the South Street Seaport over the July 4th weekend. It includes 20 items from the museum's collection such as Lafayette's calling card and the his sash, splashed with his blood from a wound sustained at the Battle of Brandywine. Through December 2016. Place: 54 Pearl St. Time: Noon to 5 p.m., daily. Admission fees: $7; $4 (seniors, students with ID, children, 6 to 8 years old. Children, 5 and under, free. Active military with ID, free. For more information, click here

Ongoing: The National Museum of the American Indian is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with free admission. It offers free films, docent-led tours of its exhibitions and tours of its premises, the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House, designed by Cass Gilbert. The building, which was completed in 1907, is a National Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. One Bowling Green. Phone: (212) 514-3700. For the museum's calendar, click here.

Ongoing: The lobby of the South Street Seaport Museum at 12 Fulton St. on Schermerhorn Row is open three days a week with interpretive displays and activities. Access to the museum's upstairs galleries is by appointment or for education programs only. Lobby access: Fridays to Sundays, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. For private tours of Schermerhorn Row and its old hotels, email

Downtown Post NYC is emailed to subscribers twice a week.
To subscribe to Downtown Post NYC, click here

Editor: Terese Loeb Kreuzer

We welcome comments, questions and letters to the editor. Send them to

To advertise, email

Previous issues of Downtown Post NYC are archived at

All articles and photographs in Downtown Post NYC are copyrighted and
may not be reprinted or republished without written permission.
© 2015