School on Wheels Press Contact
Former homeless student Khadijah Williams, graduates from Harvard with an A.B. in Sociology
Khadijah Williams, a former School on Wheels student, began moving from shelter to shelter with her mother and her younger sister when she was 6 years old. We caught up with Khadijah to talk to her about her college experience and how School on Wheels helped her. May 30th, Khadijah will graduate from Harvard with an AB in Sociology.
|Khadijah in 2009 on the Oprah Winfrey Show|
|Khadijah Williams 2013|
MAKING A DIFFERENCE SINCE 1993
School on Wheels, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1993 by Agnes Stevens, a retired teacher. After reading Jonathan Kozol's Rachel and her Children, Agnes realized the extent of homelessness in the USA. She began tutoring homeless kids in a park in Santa Monica, encouraging them to stay in school and participate in school activities.
Today, hundreds of volunteers work one-on-one with children whose homelessness prevents them from receiving the academic stability and help they desperately need. The heart of the School on Wheels' program is the volunteer tutors who come from all backgrounds and professions, with a shared goal - to reach out to a child, to teach, to mentor, and assist in their educational life.
The mission of School on Wheels is to enhance educational opportunities for homeless children from kindergarten through twelfth grade. The goal is to shrink the gaps in their education and provide them with the highest level of education possible. Their program serves as a consistent support system to homeless students at a time of great stress and fear. School on Wheels brings the message to homeless students that they are cared about and important. They do this by offering:
- One-on-one weekly tutoring with a volunteer
- Backpacks, school supplies and school uniforms
- A toll-free number for kids to keep in touch with us
- Assistance in entering school
- Help in locating lost records
- Guidance for parents in educational matters for their children
- Two Learning Centers, one located in the heart of Skid Row and the
other in South Los Angeles
- Tutoring in seven major regions in Southern California, including Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.
School on Wheels, Inc.