LOCAL FOOD &
HOLIDAY GIFT GIVING GUIDEWINTER 2009
doesn't mean the end of eating local! Take a look through the many
farms, food producers, and markets that have extended their LOCAL
offerings into the Holiday Season.HOLIDAY MEAL HELP... choose local for all your Holiday ingredients!
LOCAL FRUIT - From Fresh Apples & Cider, to Fresh or Dried Cranberries - local fruit is available throughout the Holiday Season!
VEGETABLES - Keeping your Winter Soups, Stews, Salads & Sides BURSTING with local Vegetable & Herb Flavor...
LOCAL AQUACULTURE & SEAFOOD - From the farms, ocean, and shores surrounding Southeastern MA comes a WIDE variety of fresh seafood products like lobsters, clams, oysters, scallops and finfish!
- Cape Cod Organic Farm, Barnstable MA - Brussel sprouts and greens! Open wkends til xmas!
- Golden Rule Farm, Middleboro MA - 'Austrian Crescent' fingerling potatoes, available now! Please call first - (508) 224-3088
- E&T Farms, W. Barnstable MA - Mixed salad greens available yr-round! Open Weekends!
- Four Town Farm, Seekonk, Ma. - Carrots, seasonal greens, squash, turnips.
- Lanzoni's, Acushent MA - Squash and turnips; variety of potted plants & holiday greens.
- Lucky Field Organics, Rochester, MA - Mixed salad greens! Winter CSA!
- Maplewood Farm, Portsmouth RI - Fresh and delicious potatoes!
- Morning Glory Farm, Edgartown, Ma. - Picking fresh produce daily! Broccoli, carrots, potatoes, squash, turnips and more! Visit our website for more details.
- Sampson Farm, Westport MA - all purpose white, and red potatoes! Creamy & delicious!
MEAT - Protein
is easy to find in Southeastern MA, whether your enjoying a local
steak, roasting local duck, or slow cooking some local pork...
- Barnstable Seafarms, Barnstable, Ma. - Clams and oysters; raw bars available!
- Chatham Shellfish Co., E. Falmouth, Ma. - Premium oysters from Oyster Pond Estuary.
- Cuttyhunk Shellfish, Inc., Cuttyhunk, Ma. - Fresh oysters straight from Cuttyhunk Island!
- E&T Farms, W. Barnstable, Ma. - Aquaponic large mouth bass & tilapia Delivery available!
- Fishwife, Plymouth, Ma. - Fresh lobsters available in many sizes, yr-round!
- Mac's Seafood, Wellfleet, Ma. - Fresh off the boat local fish, scallops, lobsters and more!
- Revolution Lobster, Westport, Ma. - Fresh Westport lobsters Delivery available!
- Salty Lou's, Sandwich Ma. - Fresh lobsters - visit their retail outlet!
- Scorton Creek Oysters, W. Barnstable, Ma. - Fresh oysters from Barnstable!
DAIRY - Packed with calcium and lots of flavor, local milk and cheese products make any fall focused meal complete!
- Border Bay Junction Farm, Barnstable MA - Fresh lamb avail. in Dec., check website for details!
- Clover Path Garden, Acushnet MA - Cert. organic duck - order yours today!
- Dufort Farm, Rehoboth, Ma. - Pasture raised pork & grass-fed beef; free-range eggs.
- Grayrock Farm, Tiverton RI - Grass-fed beef to be processed in early Dec.
- J.H. Beaulieu Farm, Fairhaven, Ma. - Grass-fed beef, pork sausage; all USDA certified.
- Miss Scarlet's Blue Ribbon Farm, Yarmouthport, Ma. - Fresh Christmas turkeys! Order now!
- Oake Knoll Ayrshires, Foxboro, Ma. - Lean ground beef (86% lean) and veal available!
- Quittacas Farm, E. Freetown, Ma. - Freezer chicken available!
- Village Farm, Dennisport, Ma. - Fresh eggs available! Call to arrange pick up.
BAKERY ITEMS - Who doesn't love fresh baked goodies? How about local cookies, breads oatmeal or pies? They are all available locally!
- Lyons Brook Farm, Westport, Ma. - Fresh raw goat milk available at farmstand.
- Oake Knoll Ayrshires, Foxboro, Ma. - Fromage blanc & Asiago Cheese!
- Martin's Cheese Co., Westport Ma. - Fresh Portuguese style cheese. Great mixed w/ herbs!
- Narragansett Creamery, Providence, RI. - Cheese and yogurt made from RI fresh milk!
- Paskamansett Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - Fresh raw cow milk available everyday!
- Shy Brothers Farm, Westport, Ma. - Artisanal cheeses made with Santos Farm fresh milk!
VALUE-ADDED SIDES, SPECIALTY ITEMS & STOCKING STUFFERS! - Great gift basket ideas! (And don't forget the LOCAL WINE & BEER listed below!)
- The Artisan Kitchen, Rochester, Ma. - Wide variety of freshly baked breads, cakes, muffins, cookies & more! Gingerbread house class - see below!
- Artisan Swirls Bakery, Kingston, Ma. - Specialty muffins & baked goods using local produce!
- CupCapes of Falmouth, Falmouth, Ma. - All natural & organic cupcakery!
- Ever So Humble Pies, E. Walpole Ma. - Frozen homemade, old fashioned pies and crisps.
- Flour Girls Baking Co., Dartmouth Ma. - Fresh preservative-free cookies, bars, cakes, etc.
- Pie In the Sky Bakery, Woods Hole, Ma. - Fresh baked breads, muffins, and pastries!
- Pies a la Mode, Falmouth, Ma. - Wonderful selection of
fresh baked pies and tarts made
from scratch, seasonal
specialties and an array of
cookies, cupcakes, cakes and
FLOWERS & NURSERY - Decorate your home for the Holidays, or get a head start next seasons' blooms!
- E. & T. Farms, W. Barnstable, Ma. - Our own honey, and honey sticks. Available Year-round!
- Dave's Cape Cod Smokehouse, Harwich - Smoked locally caught fish & seafood; pates and spreads. Call to ask about their new community smoked fish shares!
- Golden Touch Farm, Westport Ma. - Wide range of clothes & accessories made from our Alpaca fiber. Hats, socks, gloves, scarves, blankets and more! Order online!
- Gray's Grist Mill, Westport, Ma. - Freshly ground corn meal, perfect for Johnny cakes!
- Great Cape Herbs, Brewster, Ma. - Wide variety of teas, tonics, medicinal herbs.
- Great Island Trading Co., S. Dennis, Ma. - Variety of sauces & spreads using local produce.
- Greenleaf Farm, E. Bridgewater, Ma. - Our own honey, call ahead or stop by.
- Hana's Honey Westport Ma. - Delicious local honey from hives throughout Westport.
- Mad Hectic Oatmeal, Dartmouth, Ma. - Protein rich oatmeal in a variety of flavors!
- Merrylegs Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - Lavender sachets & aromatheraphy products. Open on weekends, or call to check.
- Olio di Melli, LLC, Westport, Ma. - Directly sourced olive oil & balsamic vinaigrettes. Delicious gift!
- Roots Remedies, Mattapoisett, Ma. - Medicinal tonics using local honey and herbs.
- Silverbrook Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - Homemade jams & jellies using local fruit! Sold at area markets and farmstand, check website for details.
- Summerhouse Natural Soaps, Barnstable, Ma. - Handcrafted soaps using local ingredients when possible.
- Village Farm, Dennisport, Ma. - Alpaca products and fiber; homemade hand balms & Cape Cod honey!
LOCAL BEER & WINE - After a nice local meal, enjoy a freshly brewed local beer, or perfectly vintage local wine. Vineyards are harvesting now - be sure to visit one near you!
- Eldredge Farm, Brewster-Harwich, Ma. - LOTS of local potted perennials - call today!
- Cape Cod Organic Farm, Barnstable Ma. - Cape American beach grass & rosa rugosa!
- Merrylegs Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - Handmade wreaths and holiday decorations.
- Quansett Nurseries, Dartmouth Ma. - Wholesale wreath materials, trees, ornamental plants, groundcovers and more! Call or email for a wholesale price list!
- Coonamessett Christmas Tree Farm, E. Falmouth, Ma. - Fresh local Christmas trees, available till Christmas Eve!
- A Quiet Place Tree Farm, Westport, Ma. - Open Friday, Sat. & Sun., 8am - 4pm.
- Merrylegs Farm, Dartmouth Ma. - Handmade wreaths! Visit on the wkends or call ahead!
- Webster Cranberries, LLC, Wareham, Ma. - Christmas Trees! Call or check website for times.
ONE STOP SHOPS - Looking for a variety of local in one spot? Try out these local markets that carry small gift items as well as local produce!
- Buzzards Bay Brewing /JUST BEER, Westport Ma. - New brand called 'Just Beer'. Try the new John Beere, Moby D., and C.I.A.
- Cape Cod Beer, Hyannis, Ma. - Great seasonal brews, free tours and more! Check their website for upcoming events and times.
- Cape Cod Winery, Falmouth, Ma. - Open weekend through Dec. for wine tasting & tours.
- Coastal Vineyards, Dartmouth, Ma. - Small batches of fine creative wines,
produced from their own estate grown grapes. Order online!
- Running Brook Vineyards, Dartmouth, Ma. - Premium wines made with estate grown grapes. Open week days 12-5 for tastings!
- Truro Vineyards, Truro, Ma. - 5 acre farm growing Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc and Merlot.
- Westport Rivers Vineyard & Winery, Westport, Ma. - Famous sparkling, white and rosé wines.
- Alderbrook Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - Variety of local produce, eggs, dairy, breads, specialty items, and crafts. Plus, animal petting zoo! Open Year Round!
- Cape Abilities Farm, Dennis Ma. - Salad greens, tomatoes, cukes; potted plants & herbs. Open from 10AM to 4PM.
- Coonamessett Farm, Falmouth, Ma. - Salad greens, vegetables, & local products.
- Foodies' Duxbury, Ma. - Full scale market sourcing local produce in season.
- Four Town Farm, Seekonk, Ma. - Farm fresh vegetables and seasonal plants.
- How On Earth: The Store, Mattapoisett, Ma. - Local dairy, baked goods, meats, and fresh produce. Local prepared foods and lunch specials Tu-Sat., dinner Friday nights!
- Johnson's Roadside Farmstand, Seekonk Ma. - Find all your local fixings for this Christmas' Feast!
- Lees Market, Westport, Ma. - Lees Loves Local! Pick up all your local holiday grocery items including many unique gift ideas and delicious
- Oakdale Farm, Rehoboth, MA - Open yr-round! Root crops, xmas trees, baked goods, preserved vegetables and local crafts.
- Prisco's Deli, Bridgewater MA - Wide variety of locally produced specialty items & gifts.
- Tangerini's Spring Street Farm, Millis, Ma. - Christmas Shop & farmstand open til 12/23!
- Tihonet Village Market, Wareham, Ma. - Local cranberries and a wide variety of unique local gift ideas including candles, lip balms, local cook books, jams/jellies, honey and more. Check their website to order fresh holiday cakes, breads and pies!
- Windfall Market, Falmouth, Ma. - Wide variety of groceries, organic produce and prepared meals.
TAKE A BREAK! - At one of these tasty establishments for some great coffee, snacks, or full local meal!
- City Feed & Supply, Jamaica Plain, Ma. - Fantastic local fare that hits the spot during your Boston shopping-sprees! Market has many local items and specialty gifts as well!
- Main Street Cafe, Fall River, Ma - Open week days 7am - 3pm stop in for a hearty breakfast or lunch with local eggs and fresh baked breads and muffins!
- Martha's Stone Soup, Plymouth Ma. - Using organic and local produce; serving dinner and tea service. Check website for amazing menu items and special dinner nights!
- Mirasols Cafe, Dartmouth Ma. - Serving hot coffee and cider, plus great soups and sandwiches with South American flair!
- Pie in the Sky Bakery, Woods Hole, Ma. - Fresh baked breads; soup and sandwiches.
- Rockin' K Cafe, Bridgewater, Ma. -Local and organic ingredients compliment the fair-trade coffee. Great place to warm up and eat healthy.
For complete information on all these farms (and MANY others), plus MORE produce in season, check out our Online Farm Guide at www.semaponline.org
& CSA Updates!
Winter / Year-round CSA Sign ups: CAPE COD SMOKEHOUSES CSS - Community Supported Smokehouse
- New!Dave Reese at Dave's Cape Cod Smokehouse in Harwich has created a CSS (that's Community Supported Smokehouse) based on the CSA model, where customers buy a "share" and pick up product weekly over a set period of time. The Cape Cod Smokehouse CSS is offering a choice of 45 items, including smoked meats, poultry, and fish. Shares are $250.00 and pickup is on Thursdays, 8am-8pm, for nine weeks until January 1st. Shares are available hot or cold, and delivery is possible. Free tasting begins October 24th at the Harwich Smokehouse, by appointment only. The smokehouse has FDA wholesale and processing, local food service and catering permits. Dave is very excited about this project, and welcomes tasters, questions, and suggestions! Contact Dave at 508-432-1401, or [email protected], www.davesribs.com---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BRIDGEWATER Winter Farmers Market - Friday, 3:00pm to 6:30pmFirst Parish Unitarian Universalist Church, 50 School St. in Bridgewater MA
Vendors include: Best Damn Granola Co., Beaulieu Beef, Honey I'm Home, Great Cape Baking Company and more!
DEDHAM Winter Farmers Market - Kick-off Sunday, Dec. 13, 10 AM to 2 PMDedham Square Country Store at 626 High Street in Dedham, MA 02026We're featuring Fish, Lobster, Eggs, Cheeses, Goatmilk Soaps, Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Honey, Granola, Breads, and more!FALMOUTH Farmers' Market - Two holiday markets!
PLYMOUTH Farmers Market: Monthly Market & Movie @ Plimoth Plantation Occuring every third Thursday
December - May, 3-6:30 with music and a film.
Pre-orders may be made through Plymouth Local Foods to reserve foods ahead and will be available for pick up till after the 7pm film. Please see www.Plymouthfarmersmarket.org for more info.
- Saturday, December 12, from noon-3 Under the (heated) tent at Peg Noonan Park, Main Street (next to the library).
- OPENING DATE: Saturday December 17th, 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- PRE-ORDER ONLINE Dec. 9th - Dec. 15th! Visit the Plymouth Farmers Market Online. Ordering page and pick your local products ahead of time - then pick up at the market! Visit: www.shop.plymouthfarmersmarket.org
- GINGERBREAD HOUSE WORKSHOP w/ The Artisan Bakeshop! Sign up today!
- Movie to be shown: FRESH
PAWTUCKET Wintertime Farmers Market - November 7 to May 29, 2010; Saturdays 11am - 2:00pm at the Hope Artiste Village (1005 Main St.Pawtucket, RI) A
collection of farmers from RI and Southeastern MA offering their wide
variety of produce, seafood and prepared goods all winter long! Click here to read more...BOSTON AREA:SOWA HOLIDAY MARKET - December 12th & 13th, 2009 - 10:00am - 6:00pmwww.sowaholidaymarket.com / 74 Union Park Street, Boston MA (Cathedral HS Gym)A unique holiday gift show featuring 80 artists as well as local farms!
Where Else Can I Enjoy Local?
As a part of SEMAP's Buy Fresh Buy Local Campaign, these markets, restaurants, farmstands, and more have made a commitment to supporting local growers and food producers. Be sure to visit them, and try their fantastic fair! Membership is growing every week, so be sure to check back!
New website! Quicks Hole - Woods Hole - www.quicksholewickedfresh.com
And of course, be sure to check out our good friends at:
Also, be sure to scan our Online Farm Guide to look for more ideas on local specialties and events.
EDIBLE SOUTH SHORE COOKING CLASS - Wednesday Dec. 16th
Overbrook House, 5 Old Head of the Bay Road, Buzzards Bay
Join us as we prepare for holiday feasting - Italian-style. Local Italian, that is. We'll sit down at a big table and each prepare dozens, even hundreds, of teeny tortellini in the Bolognese style familiar to generations of Plymoutheans as "toodalings". These are the pork tortellini that entire families, from patriarch to toddler, sat down together to make in preparation for Christmas.
The event will be led by food historian, author, and North Plymouth native, Kathleen Curtin, along with edible South Shore food editor, Paula Marcoux.
To sign up: There is a fee of $30. Class-size is limited, so advance registration is required. Contact [email protected].
ORDER YOUR CHRISTMAS SIDES & SWEETS @ TIHONET VILLAGE MARKET
www.tihonetvillagemarket.com / 508-295-5437
It's time to start preparing for Christmas, and there's no better place to begin than at the Tihonet Village Market! We offer a wide variety of specialty cakes, pies, and other baked goods that will wow your guests, and help you start new holiday traditions.
Click here for our holiday menu.
We ship cranberries! E-mail us for information.
WINTER SPECIALS AT MARTHA'S STONE SOUP - Wednesdays, 5:00 - 9:00pm
Special Wednesdays in December promotion continues through this month. Wednesdays from 5 to 9 I am preparing dishes from my opening menu at my former restaurant Martha's Galley. View the menu at www.marthasstonesoup.com
Wednesday 5-9 with special menu and pricing
Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11 to 2:30 and 5 to 10
Open Thursday the 24th until 9 pm.
Closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
BRIX BOUNTY FARM hosts a series of Winter Studies 2009/2010
Mondays at 7 PM (with an option to join us at 6PM for a simple Soup, Salad, and Bread Potluck Supper) @ 858 Tucker Road Dartmouth MA / http://brixbounty.blogspot.com / 508.992.1868
We were originally planning to wait to begin our study groups until January, but instead will start on Monday Nov 23rd. with E.F. Schumacher, Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered.
second selection, which will start in mid-January will take us to a
more traditional selection focusing on sustainable agriculture - as
we'll read Francis Chaboussou's Healthy Crops: A New Agricultural Revolution.
Please check Brix Bounty Farm's blog for more details.
GINGERBREAD HOUSE DECORATING CLASSES - Sunday, Dec. 13th
The Artisan Kitchen 265 Walnut Plain Road, Rochester, MA / 508-763-4905
Bring your kids for festive fun & leave the mess here!
Join our inspired staff of certified teachers & baking professionals for an afternoon of gingerbread house fun for children 6 years or older.
Your reserved appointment includes: (1) handmade pre-assembled gingerbread house, all the candy you can use, icing & and a take-home box to carry your sweet gingerbread house in.
Please Call To Reserve Your Spot @ 508-763-4905.
$35 per child. 6 Children Maximum Per Time Slot, Please Call Early.
Sunday, December 13 .......... 10:00am or 11:30am or 1:00pm
Bring a pair of gloves or mittens to decorate our mitten tree and receive $5.00 off per child.
P.S. We also provide cookies & hot cocoa
Please call to reserve your one hour block of time, booking on the hour.
*Children must be at least 6 years old & accompanied by an adult*
COONAMESSET BOG CHRISTMAS FARM - Opening after Thanksgiving!
The Coonamessett Bog Christmas Tree Farm will be open for cut-your-own Christmas Tree sales from November 27th through Sunday, December 20th on weekends and the Friday after Thanksgiving, from dawn to dusk. Price is $8 per foot, and the trees are Fraser Fir. 392 Boxberry Hill Road, East Falmouth. Call 508-563-3523 for more information.
HAYRIDES @ HICKORY KNOLL FARM - September through New Years!
23 Leonard Street, Lakeville MA /
(508) 946-5504 / [email protected]
Hickory Knoll Farm is a 4th generation family farm, growing cranberries and seasonal vegetables. Hayrides available during harvest season (Sept. - New Years), that show
beautiful views of the bogs and pasture animals on this 60 acre farm.
Please call for more information and reservations.