LOCAL FOOD GUIDE LATE FALL / WINTER 2009
doesn't mean the end of eating local! Take a look through the many
farms, food producers, and markets that have extended their LOCAL
offerings into the Holiday Season. LOCAL FRUIT - From Fresh Apples & Cider, to Fresh or Dried Cranberries - local fruit is available throughout the Holiday Season!
Check back for additions, all winter long!
- C.N. Smith Farm, E. Bridgewater, Ma. - apples and fresh pressed cider.
- D. Fernandes Cranberries, Carver, Ma. - cert. organic cranberries & cranberry sauce!
- Dartmouth Orchards, Dartmouth, Ma. - variety of apples and fresh apple cider.
- Dufort Farms, Rehoboth, MA. - frozen blueberries! Call or check website for details.
- Eldredge Farm, Brewster, Ma. - Fresh cranberries.
- Noquochoke Orchards, Inc., Westport, Ma. - several heirloom apple varieties; fresh cider.
- Tihonet Village Market, Wareham, Ma. - fresh & sweet & dried local cranberries.
LOCAL VEGETABLES & HERBS - Keeping your Winter Soups, Stews, Salads & Sides BURSTING with local Vegetable & Herb Flavor...
LOCAL AQUACULTURE & SEAFOOD - From the farms, ocean, and shores surrounding Southeastern MA comes a WIDE variety of fresh seafood products like lobsters, clams, oysters, scallops and finfish!
- Cape Abilities Farm, Dennis Ma. - salad greens, tomatoes, cukes; potted plants & herbs. Open from 10AM to 4PM, every day except Monday. Closed Nov. 25th - November 30th, re-opening for the holiday season on December 1st.
- Cape Cod Organic Farm, Barnstable MA - greens, hot peppers, potatoes, squash, and more.
- Coonamessett Farm, E. Falmouth MA - yr-round salad greens, potatoes, squash.
- Golden Rule Farm, Middleboro MA - 'Austrian Crescent' fingerling potatoes, available now! Please call first - (508) 224-3088
- E&T Farms, W. Barnstable MA - mixed salad greens available yr-round!
- Eva's Garden, Dartmouth MA - sunchokes, pea greens, & a wide variety of specialty herbs.
- Four Town Farm, Seekonk, Ma. - carrots, cabbage, seasonal greens, squash, turnips.
- J.H. Beaulieu Farm, Fairhaven, Ma. - pumpkins/gourds available at farmstand.
- Johnson's Roadside Farmstand, Seekonk Ma. - find all your local fixings for this Thanksgiving's Feast!
- Lanzoni's, Acushent MA - cabbage, kale, pumpkins & squash; variety of potted plants.
- Lucky Field Organics, Rochester, MA - celeriac, onions, potatoes, mixed greens Winter CSA!
- Maplewood Farm, Portsmouth RI - fresh and delicious potatoes!
- Noquochoke Orchards, Inc., Westport, Ma. - acorn, butternut & hubbard squash, turnips!
- Oakdale Farm, Rehoboth, MA - delicata, butternut & hubbard squash, herbs, and more!
- Sampson Farm, Westport MA - all purpose white, and red potatoes! Creamy & delicious!
- Tangerini's Spring Street Farm, Millis, Ma. - farmstand open until Dec. 23rd!
- Quansett Gardens, Dartmouth MA - fresh garlic by the pound - call for availability!
MEAT - Protein
is easy to find in Southeastern MA, whether your enjoying a local
steak, roasting local duck, or slow cooking some local pork...
- Barnstable Seafarms, Barnstable, Ma. - clams and oysters; raw bars available!
- Cape Coastal Farm Products, Orleans - shellfish available at Orleans farmers market.
- Chatham Shellfish Co., E. Falmouth, Ma. - premium oysters from Oyster Pond Estuary.
- Cuttyhunk Shellfish, Inc., Cuttyhunk, Ma. - fresh oysters straight from Cuttyhunk Island!
- Dave's Cape Cod Smokehouse, Harwich - smoked locally caught fish & seafood; pates and spreads. Call to ask about their new community smoked fish shares!
- E&T Farms, W. Barnstable, Ma. - aquaponic large mouth bass & tilapia Delivery available!
- Fishwife, Plymouth, Ma. - fresh lobsters available in many sizes, yr-round!
- Mac's Seafood, Wellfleet, Ma. - fresh off the boat local fish, scallops, lobsters and more!
- Revolution Lobster, Westport, Ma. - fresh Westport lobsters Delivery available!
- Salty Lou's, Sandwich Ma. - fresh lobsters - visit their retail outlet!
- Scorton Creek Oysters, W. Barnstable, Ma. - fresh oysters from Barnstable!
DAIRY - Packed with calcium and lots of flavor, local milk and cheese products make any fall focused meal complete!
- Border Bay Junction Farm, Barnstable MA - fresh lamb available in Dec., check website for details!
- Cape Cod Organic Farm, Barnstable MA - lots of certified organic eggs!
- Clover Path Garden, Acushnet MA - cert. organic duck - order yours today!
- Dufort Farm, Rehoboth, Ma. - pasture raised pork & grass-fed beef; free-range eggs.
- Farmer's Garden, Rehoboth, Ma. - fresh turkeys available for Thanksgiving. Call to check availability!
- Grayrock Farm, Tiverton RI - grass-fed beef to be processed in early Dec. Call now to pre-order your select cuts!
- Greenleaf Farm, E. Bridgewater MA - free-range chicken, eggs; and hormone-free piglets.
- J.H. Beaulieu Farm, Fairhaven, Ma. - grass-fed beef, pork sausage; all USDA certified.
- Quittacas Farm, E. Freetown, Ma. - freezer chicken available!
- Village Farm, Dennisport, Ma. - fresh eggs available! Call to arrange pick up.
BAKERY ITEMS - Who doesn't love fresh baked goodies? How about local cookies, breads oatmeal or pies? They are all available locally!
VALUE-ADDED, SPECIALTY ITEMS - Adding a touch of local to meals and holiday gifts can be as easy as...
- The Artisan Kitchen, Rochester, Ma. - wide variety of freshly baked breads, cakes, muffins, cookies & more! Gingerbread house class - see below!
- Artisan Swirls Bakery, Kingston, Ma. - specialty muffins & baked goods using local produce!
- Ever So Humble Pies, E. Walpole Ma. - frozen homemade, old fashioned pies and crisps.
- Flour Girls Baking Co., Dartmouth Ma. - fresh preservative-free cookies, bars, cakes, etc.
- Garnish Events - Newport, RI - specialty savory breads
- Gray's Grist Mill, Westport, Ma. - freshly ground corn meal, perfect for Johnny cakes!
- Pie In the Sky Bakery, Woods Hole, Ma. - fresh baked breads, muffins, soups & sandwiches!
- Quansett Gardens, Dartmouth, Ma. - cookies, fruit breads, muffins and more! New restaurant!
FLOWERS & NURSERY - Decorate your home for you the Holidays, or get a head start next seasons' blooms!
- Alderbrook Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - our own honey; plus wide variety of local produce & products. Open Year Round!
- E. & T. Farms, W. Barnstable, Ma. - our own honey, and honey sticks. Available Year-round!
- Golden Touch Farm, Westport Ma. - wide range of clothes and accessories made from our Alpaca fiber. Hats, socks, gloves, scarves, blankets and more! Order online!
- Great Cape Herbs, Brewster, Ma. - wide variety of teas, tonics, medicinal herbs.
- Great Island Trading Co., S. Dennis, Ma. - variety of sauces & spreads using local produce.
- Greenleaf Farm, E. Bridgewater, Ma. - our own honey, call ahead or stop by.
- Hana's Honey Westport Ma. - delicious local honey from hives throughout Westport.
- Mad Hectic Oatmeal, Dartmouth, Ma. - protein rich oatmeal in a variety of flavors!
- Merrylegs Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - lavender sachets & aromatheraphy products. Open on weekends, or call to check.
- Oakdale Farms, Rehoboth, MA. - variety of homemade pickles, relish and baked goods! Open year-round!
- Olio di Melli, LLC, Westport, Ma. - directly sourced olive oil & balsamic vinaigrettes Delicious gift!
- Roots Remedies, Mattapoisett, Ma. - medicinal tonics using local honey and herbs.
- Silverbrook Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - homemade jams & jellies using local fruit! Sold at area markets and farmstand, check website for details.
- Tangerini's Spring Street Farm, Millis, Ma. - Christmas Shop open until Dec. 23rd.
- Village Farm, Dennisport, Ma. - alpaca products and fiber; homemade hand balms & Cape Cod honey!
LOCAL BEER & WINE - After a nice local meal, enjoy a freshly brewed local beer, or perfectly vintage local wine. Vineyards are harvesting now - be sure to visit one near you!
- Eldredge Farm, Brewster-Harwich, Ma. - LOTS of local potted perennials - call today!
- Lanzoni's, Acushnet, Ma. - holiday hardy mums!
- Merrylegs Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - handmade christmas wreaths and holiday decorations.
- North Star Farm, Westport, Ma. - wholesale potted perennials; radish & kale varieties!
- Quansett Nurseries, Dartmouth Ma. - wholesale potted herbs, plants, groundcovers and more!
- Village Farm, Dennisport, Ma. - fresh chicken manure; alpaca and goat manure.
- Buzzards Bay Brewing, Westport Ma. - new brand called 'Just Beer'. Try the new John Beere, Moby D., and C.I.A. Visit Thursdays & Fridays (4-7pm) for $5.99 growler re-fills! Events this weekend!
- Cape Cod Beer, Hyannis, Ma. - great seasonal brews, free tours and more! Check their website for upcoming events and times.
- Cape Cod Winery, Falmouth, Ma. - open weekend through Dec. for wine tasting & tours.
- Coastal Vineyards, Dartmouth, Ma. - small batches of fine creative wines,
produced from their own estate grown grapes. Order online!
- Running Brook Vineyards, Dartmouth, Ma. - Premium wines made with estate grown grapes. Open week days 12-5 for tastings!
- Truro Vineyards, Truro, Ma. - 5 acre farm growing Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc and Merlot.
- Westport Rivers Vineyard & Winery, Westport, Ma. - famous sparkling, white and rosé wines. Events this weekend!
For complete information on all these farms (and MANY others), plus MORE produce in season, check out our Online Farm Guide at www.semaponline.org
Winter CSAs, Markets, & Holiday Markets:WINTER CSA's:
LUCKY FIELD ORGANICS WINTER CSA - Rochester, Ma.(508) 763-8104 / www.luckyfieldorganics.com / [email protected]Call or email the farm to sign up for their Winter CSA shares. Your winter share will include fall vegetables,
root crops, fall fruits and seasonal greens grown under row cover
and in the green-houses. Also, included are vacuum sealed treasures and preserved
foods from the summer such as simple fresh tomato sauce and other
inspired foods from the farm. (Read more...)SILVER BROOK FARM WINTER CSA - Dartmouth, Ma.
- New!www.silverbrookdartmouth.com / (508) 991-5185Place: Silverbrook Farm, 592 Chase Road, Dartmouth, Ma.Time: Wednesday pickup from 1 to 6 PMCost: $200.00 for 9 weeks commencing on the 4th of November.CAPE COD SMOKEHOUSES CSS - Community Supported Smokehouse
- New!Dave Reese at Dave's Cape Cod Smokehouse in Harwich has created a CSS (that's Community Supported Smokehouse) based on the CSA model, where customers buy a "share" and pick up product weekly over a set period of time. The Cape Cod Smokehouse CSS is offering a choice of 45 items, including smoked meats, poultry, and fish. Shares are $250.00 and pickup is on Thursdays, 8am-8pm, for nine weeks until January 1st. Shares are available hot or cold, and delivery is possible. Free tasting begins October 24th at the Harwich Smokehouse, by appointment only. The smokehouse has FDA wholesale and processing, local food service and catering permits. Dave is very excited about this project, and welcomes tasters, questions, and suggestions! Contact Dave at 508-432-1401, or [email protected], www.davesribs.com---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BRAINTREE Thanksgiving Farmers Market! Saturday, November 21st! 9am - 1:00pm @ the Braintree Town Hall Auditorium, Braintree MA 02184
WINTER MARKETS & EXTENDED DATES:
. Pick up fresh greens, breads, root crops, and delicious value added items perfect for your holiday meals!FALMOUTH Farmers' Market - Two holiday markets!
Both markets under the (heated) tent at Peg Noonan Park, Main Street (next to the library).FALL RIVER Farmers Market - Running until Saturday November 21st, 2009! Kennedy Park (Broadway & Bradford Ave.), 7:00 AM to 12:30 PM.PLYMOUTH Farmers Market:
- Tuesday, November 24, from 11-3 &
- Saturday, December 12, from noon-3
- Harvest Market on the Waterfront, Sunday, November 22, 11-3 Plenty of organic local produce, meats, sweets, baked specialties, and prepared goods!
PROVINCETOWN Farmers' Market - Running until December 5, 2009 - Ryder Street, next to the town hall in the center of town; Saturdays, 11-4.ORLEANS Farmers' Market - Extended to November 28!!! Old Colony Way, Orleans; Saturdays, 9-1
- Plymouth Local Food Monthy Market @ Plimoth Plantation - New!
Third Thursday of each month December thru May. Gathering time will be 3-6:30 with music and a film. Pre-orders may be made through Plymouth Local Foods (www.shop.plymouthfarmersmarket.org) to reserve foods ahead and will be available for pick up till after the 7pm film. Please see www.Plymouthfarmersmarket.org for more info.
UMASS DARTMOUTH Farmers Market - Last Market Day: Friday November 20th!
Every Friday @ UMD, 10am - 2pm. Located at the entrance of campus (near the traffic circle). Pick up some Local Lobster, Granola, Root Crops and more!RHODE ISLAND:
PAWTUCKET Wintertime Farmers Market - November 7 to May 29, 2010; Saturdays 11am - 2:00pm at the Hope Artiste Village (1005 Main St.Pawtucket, RI) A
collection of farmers from RI and Southeastern MA offering their wide
variety of produce, seafood and prepared goods all winter long! Click here to read more...BOSTON AREA:COPLEY SQUARE - Tuesdays & Fridays, 11am - 5:00pm until November 24th!
You can still find plenty of kale, lettuce, cabbage, potatoes, greenhouse tomatoes, carrots, winter squash, pumpkins, apples, garlic, onions, and pears at the market.CITY HALL - Mondays & Wednesdays, 11am - 5:00pm until November 25th!CAMBRIDGE CENTRAL SQUARE - Mondays, 11:30am - 5:00pm til Thanksgiving. Fresh-picked produce and other products for the Turkey Day meal.SOMERVILLE DAVIS SQUARE - Wednesdays, 12 - 5:00pm until November 25th!The farmers and vendors continue to offer an astonishing array of produce and products - greens, lettuce, radishes, Brussels sprouts, parsnips, carrots, squash, apples, chocolate, maple syrup, lamb, beef,bread, homemade pasta and pastries.[NOTE: The North Attleboro Winter Farmers Market and Dedham Winter Market, both noted in the last Buy Local Email, have been canceled. More information to come on the developments on both these sites.]
Where Else Can I Enjoy Local?
As a part of SEMAP's Buy Fresh Buy Local Campaign, these markets, restaurants, farmstands, and more have made a commitment to supporting local growers and food producers. Be sure to visit them, and try their fantastic fair! Membership is growing every week, so be sure to check back!
New website! Quicks Hole - Woods Hole - www.quicksholewickedfresh.com
And of course, be sure to check out our good friends at:
Also, be sure to scan our Online Farm Guide to look for more ideas on local specialties and events.
MAKE IT BETTER WITH CRANBERRIES - Cooking Contest!
The A.D. Makepeace Company, in conjunction with the Cape Cod Cranberry Growers' Association, Trucchi's Supermarkets, and edible South Shore magazine, invite you to participate in our 2009 Cranberry Cooking Contest.
Items are submitted for judging on Saturday, November 21, and must
be dropped off at one of these locations:
Trucchi's Supermarket - 534 County St. (Rt. 140 near Rt. 24), Taunton / 508-824-8941
Tihonet Village Market - 146 Tihonet Road, Wareham / 508-295-5437
First, second, and third place winners will be selected in each of four categories:
Professional, home chef, student, and youth.
First place winners in each category receive a $200 "shopping spree" at Trucchi's
Second place winners receive a gift certificate to the Tihonet Village Market
Third place winners receive a one-year subscription to edible South Shore
Visit Tihonet Village Market's website for more information and entry form.
CRAFTY CRITTERS HOLIDAY FAIR @ THE BUTTONWOOD PARK ZOO
Saturday, November 21st from 10am - 3pm. / http://bpzoo.org
Looking for that perfect holiday gift? Join us at the Zoo for an afternoon of holiday shopping featuring local artisans, crafters, and vendors. A special craft will be available for the children and all attendees to the event will receive free zoo admission.
BRIX BOUNTY FARM hosts a series of Winter Studies 2009/2010
Mondays at 7 PM (with an option to join us at 6PM for a simple Soup, Salad, and Bread Potluck Supper) @ 858 Tucker Road Dartmouth MA / http://brixbounty.blogspot.com / 508.992.1868
We were originally planning to wait to begin our study groups until January, but instead will start on Monday Nov 23rd. with E.F. Schumacher, Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered.
second selection, which will start in mid-January will take us to a
more traditional selection focusing on sustainable agriculture - as
we'll read Francis Chaboussou's Healthy Crops: A New Agricultural Revolution.
Please check Brix Bounty Farm's blog for more details.
WESTPORT WINERY ANNUAL OPEN HOUSE & BUZZARDS BAY BREWERY PUB NIGHT - Sat. November 28th, 2009
WINERY EVENT HOURS: 11:00am - 5:00pm - FREE ADMISSION
Come Home for the Holidays with Westport Rivers Vineyard & Winery! The Winery will feature: Discounted Wine Tastings, Live Entertainment, Hayrides, Christmas
Caroling, Hot Cocoa and Coffee, Kettle Fires, Walking Vineyard Tours,
Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony, Story Telling and Ornament Decorating
for the kids, and more...
BREWERY EVENT HOURS: 4:00 to 8:00pm - FREE ADMISSION
Enjoy the new 'Just Beer' line of brews including Moby D. and John Beere (Farmer's Pride). Local music will set the mood along with fresh raw bar and chowder from Cuttyhunk Shellfish Farms, Inc.
GINGERBREAD HOUSE DECORATING CLASSES - Nov. 28th & Dec. 13th
The Artisan Kitchen 265 Walnut Plain Road, Rochester, MA / 508-763-4905
Bring your kids for festive fun & leave the mess here!
Join our inspired staff of certified teachers & baking professionals for an afternoon of gingerbread house fun for children 6 years or older.
Your reserved appointment includes: (1) handmade pre-assembled gingerbread house, all the candy you can use, icing & and a take-home box to carry your sweet gingerbread house in.
Please Call To Reserve Your Spot @ 508-763-4905.
$35 per child. 6 Children Maximum Per Time Slot, Please Call Early.
Saturday, November 28 ....... 10:00am or 11:30am or 1:00pm or 2:30pm
Sunday, December 13 .......... 10:00am or 11:30am or 1:00pm
Bring a pair of gloves or mittens to decorate our mitten tree and receive $5.00 off per child.
P.S. We also provide cookies & hot cocoa
Please call to reserve your one hour block of time, booking on the hour.
*Children must be at least 6 years old & accompanied by an adult*
COONAMESSET BOG CHRISTMAS FARM - Opening after Thanksgiving!
The Coonamessett Bog Christmas Tree Farm will be open for cut-your-own Christmas Tree sales from November 27th through Sunday, December 20th on weekends and the Friday after Thanksgiving, from dawn to dusk. Price is $8 per foot, and the trees are Fraser Fir. 392 Boxberry Hill Road, East Falmouth. Call 508-563-3523 for more information.
HAYRIDES @ HICKORY KNOLL FARM - September through New Years!
23 Leonard Street, Lakeville MA /
(508) 946-5504 / [email protected]
Hickory Knoll Farm is a 4th generation family farm, growing cranberries and seasonal vegetables. Hayrides available during harvest season (Sept. - New Years), that show
beautiful views of the bogs and pasture animals on this 60 acre farm.
Please call for more information and reservations.