LOCAL FOOD GUIDE LATE FALL / WINTER 2009
doesn't mean the end of eating local! Take a look through the many
farms, food producers, and markets that have extended their LOCAL
offerings into the Holiday Season.
Check back for additions, all winter long!
LOCAL FRUIT - From Fresh Apples & Cider, to Fresh or Dried Cranberries - local fruit is available throughout the Holiday Season!
- C.N. Smith Farm, E. Bridgewater, Ma. - apples and fresh pressed cider.
- Carver Farmers Market - fresh cranberries every Sunday!
- D. Fernandes Cranberries, Carver, Ma. - cert. organic cranberries & cranberry sauce!
- Dartmouth Orchards, Dartmouth, Ma. - variety of apples and fresh apple cider.
- Eldredge Farm, Brewster, Ma. - Fresh cranberries.
- Noquochoke Orchards, Inc., Westport, Ma. - several heirloom apple varieties; fresh cider.
- Tihonet Village Market, Wareham, Ma. - fresh & sweet & dried cranberries.
LOCAL VEGETABLES & HERBS - Keeping your Winter Soups, Stews, Salads & Sides BURSTING with local Vegetable & Herb Flavor...
LOCAL AQUALCULTURE & SEAFOOD - From the farms, ocean, and shores surrounding Southeastern MA comes a WIDE variety of fresh seafood products like lobsters, clams, oysters, scallops and finfish!
- Beaver Brook Farm, E. Bridgewater, MA - butternut Squash Excellent Taste!
- Billingsgate Farm, Plympton MA - herbs, potatoes, pumpkins, squash.
- Cape Abilities Farm, Dennis Ma. - salad greens, tomatoes, cukes; potted plants & herbs.
- Cape Cod Organic Farm, Barnstable MA - greens, hot peppers, potatoes, squash, and more.
- Coonamessett Farm, E. Falmouth MA - yr-round salad greens, potatoes, squash.
- E&T Farms, W. Barnstable MA - mixed salad greens available yr-round!
- Eva's Garden, Dartmouth MA - sunchokes, pea greens, & a wide variety of specialty herbs.
- Four Town Farm, Seekonk, Ma. - carrots, cabbage, seasonal greens, squash, turnips
- J.H. Beaulieu Farm, Fairhaven, Ma. - pumpkins/gourds available at farmstand.
- Lanzoni's, Acushent MA - cabbage, kale, pumpkins & squash; variety of potted plants.
- Lucky Field Organics, Rochester, MA - celeriac, onions, potatoes, mixed greens Winter CSA!
- Maplewood Farm, Portsmouth RI - fresh and delicious potatoes!
- Noquochoke Orchards, Inc., Westport, Ma. - acorn, butternut & hubbard squash, turnips!
- Oakdale Farm, Rehoboth, MA - delicata, butternut & hubbard squash, herbs, and more!
- Sampson Farm, Westport MA - all purpose white, and red potatoes! Creamy & delicious!
- Quansett Gardens, Dartmouth MA - fresh garlic by the pound - call for availability!
MEAT - Protein
is easy to find in Southeastern MA, whether your enjoying a local
steak, roasting local duck, or slow cooking some local pork...
- Barnstable Seafarms, Barnstable, Ma. - clams and oysters; raw bars available!
- Cape Coastal Farm Products, Orleans - shellfish available at Orleans farmers market.
- Chatham Shellfish Co., E. Falmouth, Ma. - premium oysters from Oyster Pond Estuary.
- Cuttyhunk Shellfish, Inc., Cuttyhunk, Ma. - fresh oysters straight from Cuttyhunk Island!
- Dave's Cape Cod Smokehouse, Harwich - fresh & smoked locally caught fish & seafood.
- E&T Farms, W. Barnstable, Ma. - aquaponic large mouth bass & tilapia Delivery available!
- Fishwife, Plymouth, Ma. - fresh lobsters available in many sizes, yr-round!
- Mac's Seafood, Wellfleet, Ma. - fresh off the boat local fish, scallops, lobsters and more!
- Revolution Lobster, Westport, Ma. - fresh Westport lobsters Delivery available!
- Salty Lou's, Sandwich Ma. - fresh lobsters - visit their retail outlet!
- Scorton Creek Oysters, W. Barnstable, Ma. - fresh oysters from Barnstable!
TURKEY TIME - This year, find a delicious local turkey for Thanksgiving!
- Border Bay Junction Farm, Barnstable MA - fresh lamb available in Nov., check website for details!
- Cape Cod Organic Farm, Barnstable MA - lots of certified organic eggs!
- Clover Path Garden, Acushnet MA - cert. organic ducks - order yours today!
- Dufort Farm, Rehoboth, Ma. - pasture raised pork & grass-fed beef; and turkeys!
- Greenleaf Farm, E. Bridgewater MA - free-range chicken, eggs; and hormone-free piglets.
- J.H. Beaulieu Farm, Fairhaven, Ma. - grass-fed beef, pork sausage; all USDA certified.
- Quittacas Farm, E. Freetown, Ma. - freezer chicken available!
DAIRY - Packed with calcium and lots of flavor, local milk and cheese products make any fall focused meal complete!
- Asack Turkey Farm, W. Bridgewater, Ma. - local turkeys available, order soon!
- Belwing Acres, Seekonk, Ma. - (508) 336-9142 - orders your turkey in time for Thanksgiving.
Bongi Turkey Roost, Duxbury Ma. - fresh Thanksgiving turkeys, call for availability.
- Dufort Farm, Rehoboth, Ma. - fresh free-range turkeys (order soon!)
- How on Earth: The Store, Mattapoisett, Ma. - order your fresh turkeys from Helger's Turkery Ranch, RI today! Order by Nov. 17th - cost is $4.50 / lb, weights are approx. 13# up to 30#!
BAKERY ITEMS - Who doesn't love fresh baked goodies? How about local cookies, breads oatmeal or pies? They are all available locally!
VALUE-ADDED, SPECIALTY ITEMS - Adding a touch of local to meals and holiday gifts can be as easy as...
- The Artisan Kitchen, Rochester, Ma. - wide variety of freshly baked breads, cakes, muffins, cookies & more!
- Artisan Swirls Bakery, Kingston, Ma. - specialty muffins & baked goods using local produce!
- Ever So Humble Pies, E. Walpole Ma. - frozen homemade, old fashioned pies and crisps.
- Flour Girls Baking Co., Dartmouth Ma. - fresh preservative-free cookies, bars, cakes, etc.
- Garnish Events - Newport, RI - specialty savory breads
- Gray's Grist Mill, Westport, Ma. - freshly ground corn meal, perfect for Johnny cakes!
- Pie In the Sky Bakery, Woods Hole, Ma. - fresh baked breads, muffins, soups & sandwiches!
- Quansett Gardens, Dartmouth, Ma. - cookies, fruit breads, muffins and more! New restaurant!
FLOWERS & NURSERY - Decorate your home for you the Holidays, or get a head start next seasons' blooms!
- Alderbrook Farm, Dartmouth, Ma. - our own honey; plus wide variety of local produce.
- E. & T. Farms, W. Barnstable, Ma. - our own honey, and honey sticks available yr-round!
- Great Cape Herbs, Brewster, Ma. - wide variety of teas, tonics, medicinal herbs.
- Great Island Trading Co., S. Dennis, Ma. - variety of sauces and spreads using local produce.
- Hana's Honey, Westport Ma. - delicious local honey from all over Westport.
- Mad Hectic Oatmeal, Dartmouth, Ma. - protein rich oatmeal in a variety of flavors!
- Olio di Melli, LLC, Westport, Ma. - directly sourced olive oil & balsamic vinaigrettes Delicious gift!
- Roots Remedies, Mattapoisett, Ma. - medicinal tonics using local honey and herbs.
LOCAL BEER & WINE - After a nice local meal, enjoy a freshly brewed local beer, or perfectly vintage local wine. Vineyards are harvesting now - be sure to visit one near you!
- Eldredge Farm, Brewster-Harwich, Ma. - LOTS of local potted perennials - call today!
- Lanzoni's, Acushnet, Ma. - holiday hardy mums!
- North Star Farm, Westport, Ma. - wholesale potted perennials; radish & kale varieties!
- Quansett Nurseries, Dartmouth Ma. - wholesale potted herbs, plants, groundcovers and more!
- Buzzards Bay Brewing, Westport Ma. - new brand called 'Just Beer'. Try the new John Beere, Moby D., and C.I.A. Visit Thursdays & Fridays (4-7pm) for $5.99 growler re-fills!
- Cape Cod Beer, Hyannis, Ma. - great seasonal brews, free tours and more! Check their website for upcoming events and times.
- Cape Cod Winery, Falmouth, Ma. - open weekend through Dec. for wine tasting & tours.
- Coastal Vineyards, Dartmouth, Ma. - small batches of fine creative wines,
produced from their own estate grown grapes.
- Running Brook Vineyards, Dartmouth, Ma. - Premium wines made with estate grown grapes. Open week days 12-5 for tastings!
- Truro Vineyards, Truro, Ma. - 5 acre farm growing Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc and Merlot.
- Westport Rivers Vineyard & Winery, Westport, Ma. - famous sparkling, white and rosé wines.
For complete information on all these farms (and MANY others), plus MORE produce in season, check out our Online Farm Guide at www.semaponline.org
Winter CSAs, Markets, & Holiday Markets:Winter CSA's:
LUCKY FIELD ORGANICS WINTER CSA - Rochester, Ma.(508) 763-8104 / www.luckyfieldorganics.com / [email protected]Call or email the farm to sign up for their Winter CSA shares. Your winter share will include fall vegetables,
root crops, fall fruits and seasonal greens grown under row cover
and in the green-houses. Also, included are vacuum sealed treasures and preserved
foods from the summer such as simple fresh tomato sauce and other
inspired foods from the farm. (Read more...)SILVER BROOK FARM WINTER CSA - Dartmouth, Ma.
- New!www.silverbrookdartmouth.com / (508) 991-5185Place: Silverbrook Farm, 592 Chase Road, Dartmouth, Ma.Time: Wednesday pickup from 1 to 6 PMCost: $200.00 for 9 weeks commencing on the 4th of November.CAPE COD SMOKEHOUSES CSS - Community Supported Smokehouse
- New!Dave Reese at Dave's Cape Cod Smokehouse in Harwich has created a CSS (that's Community Supported Smokehouse) based on the CSA model, where customers buy a "share" and pick up product weekly over a set period of time. The Cape Cod Smokehouse CSS is offering a choice of 45 items, including smoked meats, poultry, and fish. Shares are $250.00 and pickup is on Thursdays, 8am-8pm, for nine weeks until January 1st. Shares are available hot or cold, and delivery is possible. Free tasting begins October 24th at the Harwich Smokehouse, by appointment only. The smokehouse has FDA wholesale and processing, local food service and catering permits. Dave is very excited about this project, and welcomes tasters, questions, and suggestions! Contact Dave at 508-432-1401, or [email protected], www.davesribs.com
Winter Markets: (and Markets still open!)FALMOUTH Farmers' Market - Two holiday markets! Tuesday, November 24, from 11-3 Saturday, December 12, from noon-3Both under the (heated) tent at Peg Noonan Park, Main Street (next to the library)MIDDLEBORO Farmers' Market - Open til' Oct. 31st.
S Main St & Nickerson Ave, Middleboro. Saturdays, 9am - 1pm.
NORTH ATTLEBORO Winter Market - New!Sundays starting November 8th, through May @ 46 South Washington St., N. Attleboro. Visit the market's blog for further information: nafarmersmarket.blogspot.comPLYMOUTH Farmers Market - Special Market Events & Winter Market @ Plimoth Plantation!
PROVINCETOWN Farmers' Market - December 5 - Ryder Street, next to the town hall in the center of town; Saturdays, 11-4.ORLEANS Farmers' Market - Extended to November 28!!! Old Colony Way, Orleans; Saturdays, 9-1
- Spooktacular Halloween Market - Courthouse Green, October 31 9:30-3pm
- Harvest Market on the Waterfront, Sunday, November 22, 11-3
- Plymouth Local Food Monthy Market @ Plimoth Plantation - New!
Third Thursday of each month December thru May. Gathering time will be 3-6:30 with music and a film. Pre-orders may be made through Plymouth Local Foods (www.shop.plymouthfarmersmarket.org) to reserve foods ahead and will be available for pick up till after the 7pm film. Please see www.Plymouthfarmersmarket.org for more info.
UMASS DARTMOUTH Farmers Market - Every Friday @ UMD, 10am - 2pm. Located at the entrance of campus (near the traffic circle).
Where Else Can I Enjoy Local?
As a part of SEMAP's Buy Fresh Buy Local Campaign, these markets, restaurants, farmstands, and more have made a commitment to supporting local growers and food producers. Be sure to visit them, and try their fantastic fair! Membership is growing every week, so be sure to check back!
New website! Quicks Hole - Woods Hole - www.quicksholewickedfresh.com
And of course, be sure to check out our good friends at:
Also, be sure to scan our Online Farm Guide to look for more ideas on local specialties and events.
TIHONET MARKET / AD MAKE PEACE - Last Bog Tour & Halloween Events!
Join us for the Last Bog Tour of Saturday, October 31, 2009
Enjoy the cranberry harvest on this special tour offered by the world's largest cranberry grower, the A.D. Makepeace Company. Guides will take you on a tour of the cranberry bogs,
discuss all aspects of cranberry growing and answer your questions.
When: Tour departs from Tihonet Village Market.@ 10 a.m. $10 per person, children under 7 are free. Tour length:1 - 1 1/2 hours. Attendees will be transported by bus to the bog.
Call to Sign Up: 508.295.5437
TRICK OR TREAT AT THE TIHONET MARKET - HALLOWEEN 2009 - Bring the kids by in costume and we'll give them a treat! ...Maybe a trick too!! We'll have a special prize for the most creative costume of the day! Open Halloween: 9:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
SOULE HOMESTEAD UNSCARY HALLOWEEN - Saturday, October 24th
Soule Homestead Education Center will hold our annual Children's Unscary Halloween Party this Saturday, October 24th from 3-5pm.
We'll have a costume parade, a scavengerhunt in the hay, games, story time in the barn, and a hay ride. Popcorn and cider included.
$5 per person, Members $7 per person Non-members
Members Group Rate: 5 people for $20
Rain date, Sunday October 25th
Please call to register, 508 947 674
OCTOBERFEST 2009 @ M & C's Cafe, New Bedford Ma.
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 / www.mandccafe.com / 508 993-2219
Chef Mike Mello's "Octoberfest Dinner" menu will be paired with various seasonal beers from various brewers.
~MENU~ to include:
LENTIL AND SAUSAGE SOUP
STUFFED MUSHROOMS WITH SPINACH
LOIN OF PORK WITH PRUNE STUFFING
HIMMEL UND ERDE
KOHLRABI BAKED WITH HAM
BEE STING CAKE - Call to make your reservation!
And don't forget to reserve your table for: "A Tribute to Julia Child", December 1st, 2009.
MAKE IT BETTER WITH CRANBERRIES - Cooking Contest!
The A.D. Makepeace Company, in conjunction with the Cape Cod Cranberry Growers' Association, Trucchi's Supermarkets, and edible South Shore magazine, invite you to participate in our 2009 Cranberry Cooking Contest.
Items are submitted for judging on Saturday, November 21, and must
be dropped off at one of these locations:
Trucchi's Supermarket - 534 County St. (Rt. 140 near Rt. 24), Taunton / 508-824-8941
Tihonet Village Market - 146 Tihonet Road, Wareham / 508-295-5437
First, second, and third place winners will be selected in each of four categories:
Professional, home chef, student, and youth.
First place winners in each category receive a $200 "shopping spree" at Trucchi's
Second place winners receive a gift certificate to the Tihonet Village Market
Third place winners receive a one-year subscription to edible South Shore
Click here for more information, and an entry form!
ROOTS DOWN NEW BEDFORD - 1st Tues. of Every Month!
Next meeting: November 3rd, 2009 - 4PM @ Lawler Branch Public Library, 745 Rockdale Ave.
Topic: Wintertime Tasks for a Terrific 2010 Vegetable Garden!
A free monthly series focusing on sustainable gardening techniques. These
monthly meetings help new and experienced gardeners gain a deeper
understanding of methods used in healthy food production, to help build
a local food security for our community.
November's meeting topics will cover Mulching, Reviewing the Season and an Organic Garden Reading List. Visit the Brix Bounty Farm blog for more information!
COONAMESSET BOG CHRISTMAS FARM - Opening after Thanksgiving!
The Coonamessett Bog Christmas Tree Farm will be open for cut-your-own Christmas Tree sales from November 27th through Sunday, December 20th on weekends and the Friday after Thanksgiving, from dawn to dusk. Price is $8 per foot, and the trees are Fraser Fir. 392 Boxberry Hill Road, East Falmouth. Call 508-563-3523 for more information.
HAYRIDES @ HICKORY KNOLL FARM - September through New Years!
23 Leonard Street, Lakeville MA /
(508) 946-5504 / [email protected]
Hickory Knoll Farm is a 4th generation family farm, growing cranberries and seasonal vegetables. Hayrides available during harvest season (Sept. - New Years), that show
beautiful views of the bogs and pasture animals on this 60 acre farm.
Please call for more information and reservations.