|PLEASE NOTE: Our retail stores are now closed for the season. We will re-open in Yarmouth during March. Our office in Yarmouth will remain open during this period from 9am to 5pm Monday thru Friday (weather permitting) to provide customer service.|
Improving Your Winter Landscape
|Even the most beautiful spring gardens can look bare in the winter. Fortunately, with a little planning you can make sure your garden remains interesting year-round.|
Take a peak out the window - does your winter garden picture lack a little something? Do you see anything (or anybody) you don't want to see? Winter garden structure, whether provided by ornamental trees, shrubs, or structural perennials can both attractively block unsightly views or create new ones.
Now is the perfect time to look at your garden through "new eyes" and plan for the coming season before your spring activities take over. Use the following tips to identify those areas of your garden that are less than inspiring and then talk with one of our knowledgeable staff members. We'll help with your vision!
By jotting down notes now, you'll be able to hit the ground running when the snow is gone and enjoy your garden even through these long Maine winters.
- Make a list of the most offensive views at different vantage points around the inside and outside of your home.
- Take a good look at your landscape; is there a favorite plant you would like to draw attention to?
- Are the entrances and exits to the house clearly defined by plants? An ornamental planting next to a main entrance says welcome, whereas a utility entrance can be down-played by a subdued planting.
- Are there great voids in your perennial garden that were once filled by foliage in the growing season? The introduction of a more structural plant that will combine well with perennials may be the answer.
- Is there any garden ornamentation or more importantly, too much of a good thing? Garden ornamentation can create a sense of movement, timelessness, or whimsy. In most cases, less is more.
- The addition of stone walls, patios, a dry stream bed, or even well placed edging can hugely impact the flow of a garden.
Give the gift of gardening! Estabrook's Gift Cards make a perfect winter gift. Order online and we'll mail them to you or the recipient free of charge.