Singer Island Civic Association

Singer Island Voice | Update #16 | July 18, 2014

 (Now reaching over 1407 neighbors each week)

 Together We Are Making a Difference:

Please Join Us, Click here to become a member of
your Singer Island Civic Association Today!

   Please share this message with your neighbors and

 let's keep building unity ...in our commUNITY!

Sign up for the Singer Island Voice
...Free weekly eNewsmail at: SingerIslandCivic.org

City Of Riviera Beach & CRA Receive Award From Northern Palm Beach Chamber:  They've done it again, another GREAT video produced by the Good News Riviera Beach Team (Thank you GNRB!).  Let's all work together and keep moving our community forward ...as neighbors, city residents and citizens!

In The News This Week:

Voter registration deadline for the Primary Election,

August 26, 2014, is July 28, 2014! - Click here to REGISTER

you can read more about the elections coming up in

2014 by (clicking here) and visiting the SICA website.

[ Editor's Note: Every single vote matters in our local elections! ]

Beach construction ban considered - WPEC -SINGER ISLAND, Fla. - The county-wide construction boom could soon hit an outright building ban. Riviera Beach leaders want to temporarily bring ...

[Editor's note: Our city council voted in favor of a 6 month building moratorium, you can view the July 16th city council meeting video by clicking: Play.]

Controversy over recent suspension of Riviera Beach city clerk - WPEC - Pastors and various citizens spoke out at the Riviera Beach city council meeting Wednesday evening, saying they were not happy that city manager ...

[Editor's note:  you can view the July 16th city council meeting video by clicking: Play.]

Council approves $17.6 million plan for Midtown, South End beaches  - Palm Beach Daily News - Public Works Director Paul Brazil said the contractor will use sand from the barrow area off shore from Singer Island that will have a 0.28 mm ...

Camp gives kids a chance to learn marine biology  - Palm Beach Post - Park Ranger Scott Duncan, left, of North Palm Beach, holds up an instrument to measure the salinity of water while Director of Education Veronica ..

What's a shark bite like? Attack survivors recall amazing tales - WSLS - Sebastian Cozzan's wound after he was bitten by a shark on March 21 in North Palm Beach, Fla. He received 80 stitches (source: David Cozzan via ...

Riviera Beach's Tiki Bar goes on the auction block - WPEC - Get ready for the biggest celebration of nursing that Palm Beach County has ever seen! We have partnered with Palm Healthcare Foundation, Sunny ...

West Palm Beach brothers start 'Samples for Soldiers' program
WPTV - A student at Suncoast High School in Riviera Beach, Jacob volunteered at the nearby VA hospital. After seeing how the samples were appreciated ...

Check the SICA website later this weekend for news on the proposed PGA Waterfront Development...

CommUNITY Voice:

Please send in your comments, ideas and input to be shared here next week!

From: Vincent C.

Subject: benches and trash recepticles on N Ocean dr.

I enjoy receiving and reading the weekly SICA Newsletter, however I have noticed several emails that you publish providing suggestions and concerns of our members, but I do not recall any answers. It would add a lot to the content if these were answered. I myself sent in a suggestion several weeks ago, (and have not had a response) that SICA get involved to obtain benches and trash receptacles for the 6/10 mile south of 1 Singer Island condo ( even though there are three  in the 3/10 mile north of 1 Singer Island). These will be greatly appreciated by the people who walk, jog, and exercise their dogs along A 1 A during the season. Ms Pardo indicated that they are working on obtaining landowners' approval. But how and why were they there before the beautification of A 1 A and not after?

Thank you for your help.
Vince

[ Editor's Note: Thank you Vince! We sent your message on to Dawn Pardo for comment.  We strive to respond to as many messages as we can. This newsletter is new and along with pushing it out weekly, the (all volunteer) SICA team has been working several issues this summer.  We encourage everyone to make use of the email contacts that we include below. Letters and emails to appropriate officials ARE effective ...and though we live on a small little island, there is a lot going on.  With a beautiful new ocean blvd and an improving economy, change IS upon us here in paradise! SICA is listening and our city is listening; there are some wonderful people working very hard to help our Island and community. We'd love to have more neighbors, businesses, and area leaders: JOIN SICA and volunteer their time and/or donate funds to help us in this important mission! ]

From: Lori E. @ Via Delfino
Subject: beach clean-up
I'm writing in response to the newsletter piece on Beach Clean-Up in the News. I think it's great that various groups hold "beach clean-up days" but what is most effective is if people clean up on an ongoing basis. I take bags out with me whenever I walk the beach and pick up a lot of trash. Sometimes people will say "thank you for doing that" when they see me. My response is usually "You can do this too." It doesn't have to be an EVENT. Make it an everyday occurrence.

[ Editor's Note: Thank you Lori! How about all of the above.  Personal responsibility and neighbors + businesses, getting out, getting some exercise ...and picking up some garbage along the way!  Please read below for the next Beach Cleanup hosted by the Marriott Singer Island Resort Team on July 26th, and we hope to see you out there! ]

From: Fred G @ Chair Tiara Safety and Security Committee
Subject: Police sub station

What has happened to the promised Sub Station? Perhaps we would have more movement at the Mall if it ever came to fruition!

[ Editor's Note: Thank you for your service Fred!  We will run this by the Chief (and his team) and share any info/updates here as soon as we get it! ]

Below are some public letters that were sent to the City Council on the 6 Month Building Moratorium that was passed this past week.  As development picks back up it's important that we get it right.  Let's stay informed and work together to help ensure that happens!

Councilwoman Pardo

SICA supports economic development that preserves the character of our island as well as our priceless natural assets.  In keeping with this principle, we would support a 6-month moratorium allowing the city to put in place building codes that preserve the fragile ecosystem and unique character of our surrounding beaches and waters. Such codes should take into account development on both the ocean and intracoastal sides of Singer Island. City codes should also be appropriately aligned with current state and federal requirements as well as the approved comprehensive land use plan. SICA would encourage the city council and staff to move swiftly in approving the moratorium and updating codes so that responsible development is not unduly delayed.

Respectfully yours,

Singer Island Civic Association

Dear Mayor  and Councilpersons ,

On behalf of myself and as president of the Citizens for Responsible Growth of Riviera Beach I urge each of you to  vote for the moratorium on beach development for up to six months. This ordinance  will allow the  City has time to  develop and implement a reasonable and thoughtful plan for further growth on our sensitive beach lands.

We only need in to look to the recent past to see how  development of  larger and larger buildings closer to the beach  has cost all of us dearly in tax expenditures to save these properties.

We have an obligation to ourselves and our children to insure that future beach  development will be an asset to our community and not as tax liability because of a lack of planning.

Thank you for your support of this ordinance.
Sincerely ,

William L. Contole
President
Citizens for Responsible Growth of Riviera Beach

Please keep sending in your input to be shared here next week with over 1407 of your neighbors, and your Singer Island Civic Association WILL stay on these issues.

...Here are a few links, PLEASE send in your concerns: Ms Ruth Jones - Our City Manager, Dawn Pardo - and - Riviera Beach City Directory - Riviera Beach CRA.
.

..and Together We Will Make a Positive Difference!

Beach and Lagoon Clean-Ups in the News:
We asked ...and the Marriott Singer Island Resort stepped up!:

From: Nais Lopez  (nais.lopez@marriottpb.com)

Each year, thousands of Marriott hosts show their commitment to the environment by participating in community cleanup activities.

As part of our involvement to our community, we are planning our Monthly Beach Cleanup on Saturday, July 26 at 8:00 am at the front beach (by the Reef Bar). If you would like to participate please JOIN US next Saturday Morning!

* Snacks and beverages will be provided
* Cleanup lasts 45-Minutes and is open to EVERYONE including the kids

If you need further information. Please let us know. Thank you!

 [ Editor's note: Thank you Nais and entire SI Resort Team!  Please count my wife, our 2 kids, and myself IN! Question of the week:  Is anyone else up for some early morning fun? ...Hope to see you there next Saturday @ 7:55am sharp!! ]

Upcoming Island, City and Area Events:
Please send us your upcoming event notices and press releases, so we can get the word out!

Karaoke Saturday Was a BLAST ...stay tuned for more FUN!
From left to right: Mike Sloser, Jonathan Knaus, Susan Bennett, Joan Sloser, Heather Larson and Draga Linblom belting out "American Pie"

Lobster Social Night with Pura Vida Divers - pbpulse.com - Friday July 18th: Lobster Social Night with Pura Vida Divers. Those delicious lobster dinner meals you have been waiting anxiously for are almost here!  Join Pura Vida Divers on July 18th, 2014 for our July Social Night: Lobster Education Presentation.  Plus Cod and Capers is sponsoring our Social Night... That means fresh FREE seafood for everyone!  http://www.puravidadivers.com/

Lake Park Exhibit Raises Awareness of the Benefits of Bees -
New Times Broward-Palm Beach - On display through August 11 at Art on Park, 800 Park Ave., in Lake Park. ... at Art on Park, located a block west of Brewhouse Gallery in Lake Park. ... the bee population keeps going down; even in South Florida, we need to do more ...

City of Riviera Beach Event Calendar

View City Council Meetings:

Name ▼ Date ItemsDurationVideo
Regular MeetingJul 16, 20143102h37mPlay
Regular MeetingJul 02, 20143403h00mPlay
Special MeetingJun 25, 20141519m55sPlay
Regular MeetingJun 18, 20143702h00mPlay
Regular MeetingJun 04, 20143503h00mPlay
Special MeetingJun 02, 20141803h30mPlay
Regular MeetingMay 21, 20143201h16mPlay
      (view archived city meetings - click here)

Upcoming City Meetings:

City News & Events:

Regular Commission meeting

Date: July 21, 2014 7:00 PM
Location: Town Hall meeting room

Planning and Zoning Board meeting

Date: July 22, 2014 7:00 PM

Location: Town Hall meeting room

MacArthur Beach State Park Event Calendar

Cool Link(s) of The Week:

Kayaking in Paradise | A Guide to Paddling in Palm Beach - One of the best ways to enjoy this watery world is with paddle in hand, kayaking through the Intracoastal Waterway, Lake Worth Lagoon, Loxahatchee Estuary ...

Dearborn residents plan to take part in Concours d'Elegance on July ... - Dearborn Press and Guide - It remained in Singer Island, Fla. until 1976, when it was willed to the family's chauffeur who eventually sold it to a collector. Anderson's car is ...

 We Love Singer Island:  Check out the current beach/ocean conditions on the Live Beach Cam ...and GET OUT THERE!

Of Interest / Stay Tuned:

More news as we get it on:

Ocean Mall | CRA District & Marina Development | Lake Worth inlet widening project | Digital License Plate Readers | Proposed development projects: Lozman's Cove, Amrit, PGA waterfront | Pending sober house legislation |  ...and more as we get it.

Let's all work together to stay informed and aware of events taking place on and around Singer Island!

Send in your Island News, Events & Tips Today!

We ARE: The Singer Island Civic Association
(founded in May of 1967) |  www.SingerIslandCivic.org

SICA is your eyes and ears, and "the" voice for Singer Island
...whether you are here or away.

Together ...We Are Making a Positive Difference in this Community!

   "Your" Membership HELPS ...Please Join With Us Today

Please help Singer Island, by forwarding this email to your neighbors and asking them to sign-up for this free weekly news and event alert service.