Singer Island Civic Association

Singer Island Voice | Update #13 | June 20th, 2014

 (now reaching over 1180 neighbors each week)

 Together We Are Making a Difference:

Please Join Us, Click here to become a member of
"your" Singer Island Civic Association Today!

   Please share this message with your neighbors and

 let's keep building unity ...in our commUNITY!

Sign up for the Singer Island Voice - free weekly eNews at: SingerIslandCivic.org

In The News This Week:

Riviera Beach Marina breaks ground - South Florida Business Journal - Three months after securing city approval, the $375 million Riviera Beach marina redevelopment project has broken ground.

Northern Palm Beach Chamber honors business leaders - Palm Beach Post - Board of Directors Special Recognition

City of Riviera Beach and Riviera Beach CRA...

Corps yanks inlet permit request to address environmental concerns - Palm Beach Daily News - Plans to deepen and widen the Lake Worth Inlet took a step backward this week . The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced Tuesday that it is ...

Everglades and beach funds moving in Congress - The House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday unanimously passed a spending bill for the fiscal year that begins in October, including $65.5 million for Everglades restoration projects and $41 million to be divided nationwide for beach re-nourishment.

Riviera Beach Maritime Academy students take rugby to next level

Palm Beach Post - Several members of the Riviera Beach Maritime Academy rugby team have been selected to compete for the Florida team, against 13 other states, ...

Neighborhood festival will call attention to violence - The South Florida Times - Riviera Beach - I'Zarion Colin became Palm Beach County's youngest crime victim on May 28. He was only 18 months old...

Project Seahorse - Inspiring the Youth of Riviera Beach, Florida - Online Press Release - A major event is coming to Riviera Beach Florida in June a long needed Youth Outreach program to entice local kids into snorkeling and diving all at ...

Marine biologist knows lagoon well - Palm Beach Daily News - Beach County governments as a marine biologist who focused on water quality in the Lake Worth Lagoon and elsewhere in Palm Beach County.

Inlet expansion cost includes sea grass beds, reef, experts say - Palm Beach Daily News - Enlarging the Lake Worth Inlet, shown above with the Blue Heron Bridge in the distance, will destroy a thriving and popular reef that has developed ...

City of Riviera Beach Update

FromDawn S. Pardo

District 4 | Council Chairwoman Pro-Tem

Tomorrow, June 21 from 7:00am to 1:00pm Riviera Beach will host a Triathlon/Duathlon. The Ocean Mall will be closed until 1:00pm. Cones will be set up along the bike path on A1A for the runners and our Police Officers will be stationed along A1A to assure residents can safely leave the Island.

On Wednesday evening, the City Council unanimously approved a 6 month coastal construction moratorium on for the entire Singer Island oceanfront. Though the city is not against construction on the Island, we need to assure it is done responsibly and not cause additional erosion problems. Over the next few months, Staff will look at our coastal construction codes and make recommendations to Council to possibly update them. Most of Singer Island's coastal codes were updated in the 1980s. Please consider this short period moratorium as a first step to a permanent solution for our coastal erosion problem.

Recently I met with the Mayor of The Town of Palm Beach and other concerned citizens and listened to concerns about a scrap metal facility that is being operated out of the Port of Palm Beach. I brought matter to the attention of our Council and we unanimously instructed Staff to look into the matter. The last thing we need is a hurricane or tornado blowing through and having the scrap metal act as shrapnel to adjacent properties or neighborhoods. Today, our City Manager wrote a cease and desist letter to the operator. According to our code, Scrap Metal is not allowed in the City

Lastly, our State delegation, Senator Jeff Clemens, Rep. Bill Hager, and Rep. Bobby Powell presented the Council with a check for $1,300,000. Gov. Scott appropriated the funds to the

City for storm water projects. Congratulations for our State representatives and my Council colleagues. We all spent a lot of time lobbying for the funds and once again hard work paid off!!

CommUNITY Voice:

Please keep sending in your input to be shared here next week (with over 1180 of your neighbors) ...and your Singer Island Civic Association WILL stay on these issues!!

From: JB

Subject: Noisy outdoor music from Marriott Vacation Club between Ocean Tree and Tiara

Have you had any other complaints about this?  We have tried calling with limited success.  The police have been called multiple times.  These are outdoor, amped up loudspeakers.  Isn't there a noise ordinance?  Why isn't it being enforced?

From: Roseann G in Palm Beach Shores

Dear Singer Island Civic Association:

Being that my husband Tim is a Realtor with Illustrated Properties on Singer Island he forwarded me his email on SICA.  We live in Palm Beach Shores and just love it and the area.  I work for Village Maintenance a Property Management company in North Palm Beach that is owned by Illustrated Properties.

I am very impressed with your Newsletter and all the exciting projects that are taking place.

We certainly appreciate all that you are doing to clean up the Island especially all the empty buildings that have nothing but junk inside of them.  It has been quite an embarrassment giving company the tour and seeing all the trash everywhere.

We have a concern regarding the tennis courts, kids are riding bikes and rollerblading on the courts.  Also, we have seen them jumping and sitting on the nets and pulling at them so now the middle springs are broken to keep the nets at the right heights.  We also find used prophylactics on the weekend when we arrive.  Of course we all know there's nothing one can do about the stupidity of people - right!

I am going to forward your Newsletter to my neighbors and friends and get them on the List. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of meeting somewhere along the way.

Have a great weekend!!

All My Best,

Roseann G.

Editors note (THANK YOU Roseann!):  People are listening to our collective voice and action is taking place.  SICA will stay on these issues; neighbors ...please join with us in helping move our our community forward in a positive direction!

  ...Let's all work together, here are a few links. PLEASE send in "your" concerns, input and positive ideas for our City:  email Ms Ruth Jones - Our City Manager, Dawn Pardo -or- Riviera Beach City Directory - Riviera Beach CRA. - SICA Board of Directors - COASI Contacts - Protect Our Beaches

...and Together We Will Make a Positive Difference!

Upcoming Island/Area Events:

Please send us your upcoming event notices, tips on events an press releases so we can get the word out!

Riviera Beach City Event Calendar

  (view archived city meetings - click here)

Regular MeetingJun 18, 20143702h00mPlay
Regular MeetingJun 04, 20143503h00mPlay

6/26/2014 - Planning and Zoning Board

7/10/2014 - Planning and Zoning Board

Palm Beach Shores Event Calendar

Planning and Zoning Board meeting

Date: June 24, 2014 7:00 PM
Location: Town Hall meeting room

  MacArthur Beach State Park Event Calendar

Saturday June 21 - Riviera Beach Triathlon - Multirace.com and the City of Riviera Beach are pleased to announce the 2nd annual Riviera Beach/Singer Island Triathlon.

Save the Date: July 12th, 2014 from 4:00 until 8:00 pm

We Love Singer Island "Karaoke Saturday"

Join the Singer Island Civic Association Board of Directors while we relax and (some of us) sing karaoke at the Seaspray Inn Beach Resort. It will be an excellent opportunity to meet and greet with fellow Islanders who love Singer Island.

Please come out for some fun around the pool while we dazzle you with completely unprepared amateur singing performances and support a local hotelier.

July 12th, 2014 from 4:00 until 8:00 pm

Location: Seaspray Inn Beach Resort, 123 South Ocean Avenue, Palm Beach Shores

Attire: Beach casual

Cash bar and food (Karaoke is free!)

 For more info: Jonathan Knaus

Email: jknaus@sicasingerisland.com

Cool Link(s) of The Week:

Riviera Beach Octopus gets handsey!  - WiLD 95.5 - The Palm Beaches - Riviera Beach - Octopus gets handsey! A group of divers took a Go Pro camera...

Girl makes FriendlyBands to send to troops - WPEC - RIVIERA BEACH (CBS 12) -- What started as a local girl's attempt to help a family friend battle with cancer has now grown to an annual event.

[ Thank you Jessica ...and to all whom worked on this project! ]

Of Interest / Stay Tuned:

More news as we get it on:

Ocean Mall | CRA District & Marina Development | Lake Worth inlet widening project | Digital License Plate Readers | Proposed development projects: Lozman's Cove, Amrit, PGA waterfront | Pending sober house legislation |  ...and more as we get it.

Let's all work together to stay informed and aware of events taking place on and around Singer Island!

Send in your Island News, Events & Tips Today!

Please help us by spreading the word - forward this email to your
neighbors and ask them to sign up for this free weekly news and event alert service.

We Love Singer Island - Visit: www.SingerIslandCivic.org

Together We Can Make a Difference in this CommUNITY

Help us: Please join your Singer Island Civic Association today!