As you replace your dull winter wardrobe with bright and bold colors, you may also be inspired to say goodbye to your lackluster winter skin. Self-tanners can give you a beautiful bronzed glow without exposing you to the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays. But they don't necessarily protect you from the sun when you are out and about. Whether you will want to show off show off your sandal-ready toes in your new Jimmy Choo's or bare your legs in shorts and gym shoes, here's what you need to know when getting ready for Spring:
Glow In-The-Know With These 3 Facts About Sunless Tanners:
1. Most self-tanning products do not contain sunscreen, so don't forget your protection when going outdoors. Dr. Yagoda recommends using self-tanner at night before bedtime. This not only saves time in the morning, but also allows you to apply proper sun protection after your morning shower before heading out.
2. Self-tanners with sunscreen typically provide inadequate UVA protection. The sun protection factor (SPF) rates shielding from UVB (sun's tanning) rays. It does not relate to protection from the sun's cancer-causing, UVA rays. Therefore, if you apply a product containing an SPF of 30, you can stay in the sun 30x as long as a person with no sun protection, to get the same damage from UVB rays. But unless you apply a product with broad spectrum UVA coverage, you will likely have inadequate UVA protection.
3. Makeup with sunscreen generally provides inadequate protection against both UVA and UVB rays. This is sun protection added to makeup as an afterthought. To maintain the makeup's consistency, the UVB protection is often reduced (SPF is typically only 15) and UVA protection is minimal. But, don't despair, here are two combination products that will give you a boost of color and still provide maximal protection in an elegant formulation! These are Dr. Yagoda's favorite tinted moisturizers/concealers with broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection:
Revision Intellishade SPF 45: This tinted moisturizer blends naturally with every skin tone, and provides maximum broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection. Intellishade also contains a unique blend of antioxidants and wrinkle-reducing peptides, which minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This product, in a matte or gently glowing formula, is perfect for women on-the-go. Fast and simple to apply, it is a moisturizer, sunscreen and tinted makeup that gives you skin sheer coverage and a healthy touch of color.
Sale price: $44
Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41: This tinted sunblock provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB coverage in an anti-oxidant enhanced, chemical-free and natural mineral formulation. It is ideal for sensitive skin and for children. Its non-comedogenic, paraben-free and fragrance-free formula absorbs quickly, can be used on the face and body, and is water resistant.
Sale price: $29
3 Tips to Follow To Look "Toe"tally Awesome in Spring Peep-Toes and Sandals
1. Search for your "Sole" Mate - Select the right size shoe, and limit heel height to make sure that your shoes aren't too small. Piggies need wiggle room! If the end of the toenail touches your shoe because it is too small, or because a high heel forces your foot forward, your toenail will get repeatedly traumatized and become deformed.
2. New Day, New (SH)You - Change your shoes daily so that they have time to dry out completely between wearings. Moisture breeds fungus and fungal infections cause toe nails to thicken and turn yellow.
3. Keep It "Just Right" - When cutting toenails, be sure not to cut them too short or with rounded corners as both increase the risk of ingrown toenails.
And, whether you drink your beauty or rub it on, here's how you can make every ounce of you look better. Check out the BeautyScoop winning recipe-of-the-month below: BeautyScoop Citrus Infused Spring Green Tea, by Takako Nakamura of Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, and get prettier with every sip! And don't forget to submit your own favorite BeautyScoop recipe to email@example.com for the chance to be next month's contest winner and receive a free canister of BeautyScoop.