Recipe of the Month: Special Heart Healthy Meal
All Recipes are from The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Dummies by Meri Rafetto, RD and Wendy Jo Peterson, MS, RD.Appetizer: Tomato and Mozzarella Bites
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup pomegranate juice
4 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
Sea salt to taste
16 fresh basil leaves
1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup olive oil
1. In a small saucepan, cook the vinegar and pomegranate juice over medium heat until it reduces by half, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, layer the sliced tomatoes on a serving platter and sprinkle each with sea salt. Layer a basil leaf over each tomato and top with a mozzarella slice. Drizzle the olive oil and the balsamic pomegranate reduction over the tomato and mozzarella bites.
3. Pierce each mozzarella bite with a toothpick and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 133 Calories; 10 g Fat (4g Sat); 22 mg Cholesterol; 182 mg Sodium; 4 g Carbohydrates; 7 g ProteinEntree: Baked Salmon with Fresh Vegetables
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 35 min
1 lemon, cut into 1/4 inch slices
11/2 pounds skin on salmon fillets
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 Roma or plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion, 1/4 inch slices
1/2 pound mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. Place a large piece of foil onto a baking sheet. Lay half of the lemon slices in the center of the foil and center of the salmon (skin side down) on top. Sprinkle the surface of the salmon with sea salt.
3. Layer the tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, parsley, and remaining lemon slices on top of the fish. Drizzle with the wine and fold over the edges of the foil to seal the salmon in the packet.
4. Bake the salmon for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, discard the top layers of lemons and serve, watching out for steam as you open the packet.
Nutrition per serving: 271 Calories; 6 g Fat (1 g Sat); 88 mg Cholesterol; 422 mg Sodium; 11 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Dietary Fiber; Protein 37 g.Side Dish: Wild Rice Pilaf
Prep Time: 12 minutes Yield: 8 servings
2 cups wild rice, cooked
2 cups orzo, cooked
2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
Salt and pepper to taste
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1. In a large bowl combine the rice, orzo, spinach, olives, dill, and olive oil. Toss to coat.
2. Add the lemon juice and gently stir in the tomatoes and parsley Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 186 Calories; 9 g Fat (2 g Sat); 6 mg Cholesterol; 211 mg Sodium; 21 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Dietary Fiber; 5 g ProteinDessert: Date and Walnut Drops
Prep time: 10 minutes
24 almonds or walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar
Zest of 1 orange
1. Cut each date lengthwise and remove and discard the seed. Stuff each date with 1 almond or walnut.
2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and orange zest. Gently roll the stuffed dates in the sugar and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 109 Calories; 3 g Fat; 0mg Cholesterol; 0 mg Sodium; 23 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Dietary Fiber; 1 g Protein.. Avoid eating while standing up or multi-tasking.