TELL PA DEMS, "STOP FRACKING NOW!"
PA STATE DEMOCRATIC COMMITTEE MEETING
Lancaster Convention Center, June 14th & 15th
PLANNING MEETING/POTLUCK, MAY 30TH AT 6:00 P.M.
361 East Main Street, Kutztown (across from town park)
PLEASE ATTEND THIS VERY IMPORTANT MEETING!
The Pennsylvania Democratic Party officially supports taxing and regulating fracking. Many members disagree. In fact, one member introduced resolution calling for the party to support a moratorium on fracking in February. The party leadership didn't let the resolution out of the Rules Committee where the agenda is set for the afternoon general meeting. They questioned the "legality" of the language of the resolution even though it was written by a member who happens to be an attorney. They called the DEP's attorneys to ask if fracking was being done safely. Guess what the DEP attorneys told them!
A slightly revised version of the resolution will be offered again at the June meeting. It comes at a time when 100,000 petition signatures calling for a moratorium have been delivered to Corbett, Senator Jim Ferlo is introducing a moratorium bill that already has more co-sponsors than his last moratorium bill had, and polling results indicate that nearly two-thirds of Pennsylvanians support a
It's clearly time, actually way past time, for a moratorium at minimum, so why do the PA Dems hang onto the severance tax/regulation stance that is as outmoded as fossil fuels?
It's time for the PA Dems to stop being out of step with the majority of Pennsylvanians and out of touch with the damage fracking is doing to our communities, natural resources, health, safety and climate!
Read the resolution by Susan Lyons of Monroe County that will be considered.
Here's one of the signs I'll have with me!
HELP US TELL THE PA DEMS TO STOP FRACKING NOW!
HERE ARE SOME OF THE MANY WAYS TO GET INVOLVED!!
1) ATTEND the Saturday meetings if you're registered Dem! Register here!
2) PROTEST outside the Convention Center! Register here!
3) VOTE & SPEAK FROM THE FLOOR as a proxy for an absent member! Contact your county Democratic committee to see if proxies are available.
4) LOBBY State Committee members from your county! Call your county Democratic committee for contacts. Find contacts for Regional Caucus members to lobby here.
5) HELP us gather support at Friday sessions! Register here!
6) RECRUIT people to attend Friday and/or Saturday! Ask them to Register here!
7) SPONSOR the action! Email us to sponsor! Include name, title, organization.
8) SIGN the petition we'll have in hand!
9) HELP organize the action! Email us to volunteer!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS ON SATURDAY, JUNE 15th
8:00 am to 9:00 am - Constituency Caucuses
- Labor Caucus
- LGBT Caucus
- Black Caucus
- Women's Caucus
- Veteran's Caucus
- Progressive Caucus
9:00 am to 10:00 am - Standing Committees and Senior Caucus
- Voter Outreach & Registration Committee
- Rules and Order of Business Committee - this is the meeting where committee members vote on which resolutions be considered in the afternoon meeting.
- Credentials Committee
- By-Laws Committee
- Senior Caucus
10:00 am to 10:30 am - Executive Board Meeting - this committee has final say on what is to be considered. It is a closed meeting.
10:30 am to 11:30 am - County Chairs Meeting
11:30 am to 12:30 pm - Regional Caucuses
- South East
- South West
- North Central
- North East
- North West
- South Central
1:00 pm - STATE COMMITTEE MEETING - this is the meeting where the resolution will be put to a vote.