Call for Abstracts, Panel Proposals, Sessions
Symposium on Science and Stewardship to Protect and Sustain Wilderness Values
4-10 October, 2013 - Salamanca, Spain
We now invite specific abstracts for science or stewardship presentations, proposals for panels to be convened, or interest in sponsoring or coordinating meetings on specific topics.
The symposium will be structured to enhance international and intercultural communication and will promote and facilitate poster presentations to increase one-on-one dialogue. Presentations on Science and Management relevant to wilderness stewardship - papers grounded in data or theory, field experience and/or case studies of policy approaches and ideas - are particularly encouraged under the following program areas:
- advancing our knowledge related to freshwater contributions of wildland protection
- transboundary connectivity benefits and challenges
- cultural landscape protection
- traditional knowledge and evolving relationships between indigenous people and nature
- protecting wild values on private lands
- trends in wilderness use and values to society
- land and seascape protection and restoration
- the role of environmental well-being in human well-being
- economics of wilderness conservation
- the role of wilderness education and training in stewardship
- spatial science applications to wilderness protection
All abstracts and presentations are expected to be in English. Along with your abstract, please provide name and e-mail contact information, indicate the preferred format (e.g., poster, oral presentation, panel, roundtable discussion, etc.), and whether you intend to submit one or more papers for consideration for publication in the compiled proceedings.
Organized by The WILD Foundation (USA), and hosted by many European and international organizations, the theme for the 2013 Congress is: Make the World a Wilder Place. Visit the official Congress website (www.WILD10.org) for information regarding the exceptional variety of Congress program offerings (scientific, stewardship, artistic & cultural), as well as general information (registration, accommodations, pre/post trips) as it becomes available. This Symposium is organized, and proceedings are published by, the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute, The Wildland Research Institute of The University of Leeds, the Global Change Research Center of the Czech Academy of Sciences and the WILD Foundation.
Before December 31, 2012: Please submit abstracts (500 words or less) by email (preferred) or fax:
Co-Chairs, Symposium on Science and Stewardship to Protect and Sustain Wilderness Values
We hope to see you in Salamanca!
Alan Watson, Zdenka Krenova and Steve Carver, Symposium Co-Chairs