From PTA President Debra Million
Well, it's November and that means cooler weather, finally, and the national holiday celebrating gratitude for what we have. Yes, Thanksgiving was last week but thankfulness continues.
Of course I'm thankful for the health of my family. I'm grateful for a husband who answers the phone, "PTA Hotline!" I'm grateful for friends who listen to me and provide excellent frank advice and support. I'd like to offer my own Top Ten Purple-Tinted things for which we can all be thankful:
- The Advanced Academics Office. If you have never been by this office, go by and see some of the people responsible for Paschal's stellar academic reputation.
- The Fine Arts Faculty. From Band, to Orchestra, to Choir, to Theater, to Mariachi Panteras, to the Visual Arts, these teachers enrich the cultural life of our school in ways that cannot be measured.
- Tutoring Hours. Have you seen the little signs by classrooms that list tutoring hours? Our teachers give so many hours before school, at lunch and after school to make sure every student has the chance to be successful.
- Students who are dressed up on competition days. I saw a Sophomore I have known since Kindergarten in the hall one day and I asked him why he was so dressed up and his reply, "We have a Cross Country Meet today." Thank you, coaches, for encouraging this standard of dressing for success.
- The World Language Department. Do you know of any other school in Fort Worth that offers Spanish, French, Latin, German, Japanese, Italian and Chinese?
- The World History Department. Thanks for giving your students an opportunity to incorporate visiting our local art museums with your classroom instruction.
- AVID or Advancement via Individual Placement. This is a great program that provides an extra academic push for first-generation college students. AVID helps students with organizational skills, study habitsand applying for scholarships and completing college applications.
- The Whiz Quiz Team. If you have never been to the Whiz Quiz finals, you need to go. You will wonder if you've ever learned anything after hearing these teenagers rattle off answers to some incredibly difficult questions.
- Students in their ROTC uniforms. They look so polished. And who else gets to wear a purple beret?
- Paschal Alumni. We have so many former students who give back to Paschal in ways that benefit our current students on a daily basis.
That's only ten things. I could list so many more. Compile your own ten. I know Thanksgiving is past but there is always time to be thankful.
Save the Date for the Paschal Auction Feb. 9, 2013
The 13th Annual Paschal PTA Dinner and Auction will be held at Cendera Center on Benbrook Hwy. Don't miss the food, fun and entertainment as we raise funds to support the best high school in Tarrant County!
This is the school's main fundraiser supporting the academic, arts, music and athletic programs enhancing the educational experience for ALL PHS students.
There will be lots of great items at the auction, including original trips, super-sized silent auction packages, creative parent parties and so much more!
If you are interested in underwriting or willing to donate a special item or service please contact the co-chairs Cammie Nowell at 817-874-8199 or Tisha Phillips at 214-546-0647.
Your Vote Counts; Help PHS Win $50,000!
Please help Paschal win $50,000 from Clorox with your votes. Simply vote every day - from website and text - now through Dec 19! Please spread the word to all friends and groups; you can vote each day twice! We NEED YOUR HELP EVERY DAY to help build Paschal's Student Activity Center!
Three ways to vote (everyone can vote once/day from each mechanism):
1. Vote online www.PowerABrightFuture.com
2. Text to 95248 (simply type in Paschal's key Code 1546pbf in message box; keep the code in your phone and repeat every day!)
Please Shop at Climate by CD Ski and Sports for All Your Gift Needs!
Climate by CD Ski and Sports, located at 2972 Crockett, is generously donating 20 percent of all PHS sales from Nov. 29-Dec. 2. All you have to do is mention you are with Paschal, and they will keep track and generously donate back 20 percent! The shop carries all the popular brands: NorthFace, Patagonia, Rayban, Ugg, etc., as well as ski and outdoor clothes and equipment.