Spring semester is in full swing and a lot of great things are happening at LMC and beyond -- the annual Academic Competition, the Latina Leadership Conference at Ohlone College, the 4th Annual AB-540 Conference at DVC and new group counseling sessions by major at Brentwood Center, to name a few. Important registration and graduation dates are coming up - check them out now so you're prepared. And don't forget Spring Break is right around the corner!
Please read on for details about all this and more.
| Important Dates
- March 17-22 -- Spring Break, no classes
- April 7 -- Begin Summer 2014 priority registration for EOPS, DSPS, qualified veterans and qualified foster youth.
- April 8 -- Special Summer 2014 registration for DSPS notetakers, early graduation applicants, qualified athletes
- April 9 -- Begin Summer 2014 registration for continuing students by appointment
- April 15 -- Last day to submit early Fall 2014 graduation application for early registration appointment for Fall 2014
More important dates
| Spring Break Hours|
Spring Break this year will be March 17 through 22. Services will be limited and the college will close at 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The college will be closed all day Friday, March 21 and Saturday, March 22.
If you are uncertain whether an office you want to visit will be open, you may call the switchboard at (925) 439-2181 for information.
| 2014 Graduation News|
Notification of graduation status
If you applied to graduate in Spring 2014, you will receive notification of your status no later than May 1 to your InSite email account. If your status is "approved" or "pending", you will receive an invitation to participate in the Commencement Ceremony on or about May 1. More information
Missed the Spring 2014 graduation deadline?
If you missed the March 3 Spring 2014 graduation application deadline or are completing your classes in Summer 2014 and wish to participate in the 2014 Commencement Ceremony, you may file an Application for Graduation and an Application to Walk in Ceremony with Coursework Remaining. The coursework remaining form will be available online the beginning of April. Your degree will be posted in the summer.
The 2014 Commencement Ceremony will be held on Wednesday, May 21. Detailed information about the ceremony will appear on the website shortly. You will be invited to participate in the ceremony if:
- You completed your degrees and certificates in Summer 2013 or Fall 2013, or
- Your graduation application status is "approved" or "pending" for Spring 2014, or
- You have submitted an Application to Walk in Ceremony with Coursework Remaining for Summer 2014. This application will become available online during the first part of April. You must be registered for summer classes before submitting the Summer 2014 application.
| Scholarship News|
LMC Foster Youth Scholarship now open!!
The LMC community is committed to helping former foster youth achieve their educational dreams. If you are a former foster youth, you may be eligible to receive additional financial assistance to help with the cost of college. LMC is offering $500 scholarships to students who are former foster youths. To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be a current or former foster youth (college will verify)
- Be 30 years-old or younger
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Be a continuing student at LMC for the Fall 2014 semester or planning to transfer to a four-year college/university in Fall 2014
- Have completed a 2014 FAFSA application
Scholarship winners will participate in a financial literacy workshop designed to provide them with the tips and tools needed to financially manage their educational and career goals. Deadline to apply: April 14, 2014 Information and application
| Student Life Events & Reminders
Latina Leadership Network Conference
The 27th Annual Latina Leadership Network Conference (LLN) is geared towards Latinas in the California Community College system, including students, educators, staff, administrators, and trustees. Their dedication brings together diverse individuals to promote higher education and the professional development of women. This year the conference will be held at the Newark site of Ohlone College on March 28 and 29. Student Life and the HSI Exito Grant will be sponsoring students to attend. See the Student Life Activities & Events page for more information.
9th Annual LMC Academic Competition
The Academic Competition is a one-day event designed to motivate students to achieve scholarly excellence at LMC. It is also a fun and interactive way for students to compete for scholarships. The competition consists of four rounds of multiple-choice test questions provided by LMC professors. The winners of the competition will be announced at the end of the event.
This year, the Academic Competition will be held on Saturday, April 12, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Library Community Room, L-109. Applications may be picked up at the Student Life Office or downloaded on the LMCAS Activities webpage. The deadline to apply is Wednesday April 2, 2014.
LMC Student Government Meetings
Los Medanos College Associated Students (LMCAS) is the official student government at LMC. Its primary purpose is to advance the welfare of all students. Weekly meetings are held on Mondays from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. in L-105.
Inter-Club Council Meetings
ICC is the coordinating body for all clubs and organizations on campus. All clubs can be represented on ICC, which promotes engagement in community and college activities. Weekly meetings are held on Mondays from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. in L-106.
| Brentwood Center News|
Assessment testing in Brentwood will begin in late March. Watch the Brentwood Assessment Center webpage for more information.
CTE Group Counseling Sessions
Special 2-hour Career & Technical Education (CTE) group counseling sessions will be held at the Brentwood Center through March, April & May on the following subjects:
- Counselor Lydia Macy - Business, Computer Science, Management/Supervision, Biology, Chemistry, Math, Engineering
- Counselor Phil Gottlieb - Administration of Justice, Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, Art, Speech, Child Development, Journalism, Liberal Arts, Music, Sign Language, Spanish, Undecided Majors
- Counselor Lavora Mathis - Appliance, Automotive, Welding, Emergency Medical Services, Fire, Nursing, Electrical Instrumentation, Process Technology
Stop by the Brentwood Center Office or call (925) 513-1625 for more information and to schedule an appointment.
Probation & Reinstatement Workshops
Probation and reinstatement workshops are held at the Brentwood Center. Schedule an appointment on the Counseling Workshops webpage.
General content tutoring and Reading/Writing Consultants are provided at the Brentwood Center by the Center for Academic Support. Call the Brentwood Center at (925) 513-1625 for the tutoring schedule and/or to make an appointment with a Reading/Writing Consultant.
The Brentwood Center Math Tutoring Lab is open daily to assist you with your math assignments. Math Lab hours
|"More Than a DREAM" AB-540 Conference|
Los Medanos, Diablo Valley, and Contra Costa Colleges, along with United Latino Voices of Contra Costa County, will present the 4th annual district-wide AB-540 conference to support undocumented students on Saturday, April 5th from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Diablo Valley College. This year's conference theme is, "More than a DREAM: Get the Facts!" Topics covered will include applying to college, financial aid, deferred action, community resources, and personal motivation and advocacy.
"More than a DREAM: Get the Facts" is a free conference for undocumented students, their parents and allies in the Contra Costa Community College District area. Register by March 3. More information
The Bookstore will be closed during Spring Break, March 17-21.