Reaching consumers directly
It was great to get together with more
than 300 consumers, at the American
College of Physicians Patient Empowerment Expo in San Francisco
on April 13. We spent the whole
morning together, listening to terrific advice from Dr. John Whyte of the Discovery Channel,
Dr. Daisy Smith and Dr. Doug Paauw. They told us all
about the best, and worst, things to do if you want to
prevent problems, stay healthy and live to 100 (and enjoy it).
Here's what impressed me most about how well the presenters and the audience connected with each other:
1) I estimate that 95% of the crowd stayed the whole time.
2) Questions were thoughtful, to the point, quick, so lots of them were asked and answered.
3) Lots of folks seemed to love having Consumer Reports there in person.
4) The American College of Physicians were terrific hosts and doctors.
5) Savvy consumers want to know what works ... and what doesn't.
And I learned, or was reminded of:
1) How important it is to be screened for high blood pressure yearly and, if it's elevated, to be treated until normal.
2) How important family support is. We need each other.
3) Exercise -- any kind, any time.
John Santa, M.D
Director, Consumer Reports Health Ratings Center