I hope you enjoy the images throughout this month's Tips Message. Each was captured on my recent trip to Bogota, Colombia. What an interesting and beautiful city, high in the Andes!

The World Sets Sail and Hackers Can't Wait

Summer getaways, although still considered a luxury for many, are much more common today than they once were. In the U.S. alone, 41 million people are expected to hit the road for the 4th of July weekend.

During America's colonial times, taking a break from work was frowned upon. Today, however, vacation time has become something of an expectation among several generations of workers.

The view of Bogota from Mount Monserrate, in the center of the city

As stretched professionals the world over plan their travels, it's important for them to remain diligent about their security. What will they leave behind that may be extra vulnerable? Will their journeys take them to places inhabited by experienced con artists? Can they trust the security measures they have - or believe they have - in place?

To truly unwind, it's essential to feel safe. Read on for some tips on staying safe and protecting your privacy both while vacationing and at home.

He who travels more, sees more...

Dropbox and other file-storage and sharing applications like it are incredibly helpful to business travelers. Not having to lug along a laptop or risk misplacing a thumb drive certainly add to the enjoyment of time away from the office.

However, these applications do come with some risks. This is especially true when users generate links to share information with others. Several basic flaws within Box and Dropbox specifically allow the shared documents to be viewed by third parties.

It comes down to this: Many people do not take basic security steps, even when communicating highly sensitive information. Worse, they may even mix their personal communications and information with confidential workplace data.

For its part, Dropbox disabled all access to public links and created a patch to keep shared links from becoming public. However, this is the third security breach for Dropbox in as many years, so diligence on the site and others like it has to be considered among users.

When considering a file-sharing service site, follow these rules of thumb:
1) Use a strong password.
2) Encrypt files in storage ("files at rest").
3) Encrypt files sent to and obtained from the site ("files in motion").
4) Look for a third-party security and privacy audit or some other validation that the site truly is secure.
5) Do an online search to see if the service has been breached in the past year or two.
6) Make sure that you can completely remove all files from the site when you stop using it.

The Catholic church and religious sanctuary on Mount Monserrate was built in 1640. Most of the population of Bogota is Catholic, which is reflected in their many statues and other artworks.

Travel is good for the soul, the spirit and the body...

I work with a lot of healthcare covered entities (also called CEs, which include doctors, hospitals, clinics and other healthcare providers, in addition to health insurers and healthcare clearinghouses). I also consult with the organizations that do work for them (also called BAs or business associates) to help them better protect health information, as well as meet the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the HITECH Act.

The Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights (HHS OCR), which is the regulatory oversight agency for HIPAA and HITECH, recently released some reports to the U.S. Congress about health and information privacy breaches and security and privacy compliance between 2009 and 2012.

I advise everyone to review these reports to see the ways in which CEs and BAs need to improve in their protection of patients' health information. In addition, the reports contain a wealth of information on the different types of breaches that have occurred and their associated penalties.

While the reports do contain a good amount of information, there is more that should have been included. I recently spoke with Theresa Defino, editor of the Report on Patient Privacy about the necessary improvements. Check out her site for more information, and to see the upcoming article she writes on this.

"Travel is the only thing that makes you richer..."

 ...unless, of course, you are the victim of an ATM skimming attack. The criminals who affix nefarious devices, such as skimmers and video cameras, to ATM machines typically do so in off-the-beaten-path areas. Adventurous travelers who also like to explore the world's nooks and crannies may find themselves in just such an area.

I recently posted photos, from my friend Lisa, on Facebook of what an ATM skimmer may look like. Interestingly, Frank, one of my Facebook friends brought up an important point as he commented on the post. His call was for card companies to begin to roll out "smart cards." Sometimes referred to as "chip cards" or "EMV cards," these pieces of plastic are much harder for criminals to duplicate because there is no magnetic stripe from which to pilfer the data they need to create counterfeits.

Many banks and credit unions across the U.S. are right now migrating their cards to the EMV chip standard. Retailers and ATM operators, too, are preparing for this eventual switch. You may want to ask about it at your financial institution to see when you can expect your old mag-stripe card to carry a chip.  Be aware, though, that with this security improvement, you must still protect your credit card information and watch out for other credit card fraud that doesn't require the physical card.

Return home as happy as you left...

Securing the old homestead before an extended time away is important. With the "over sharing" of travel plans and destinations on Facebook and other social networks, criminals looking for a safe-bet break-in have a real advantage.

One of the latest scams is tailor-made for a traveling victim. Imagine if you got a message like the one below while out of town. Would you click the link? (I've removed it for the purposes of this email, but it was originally in the top section with a second near the bottom.)

I have received several of these fake emails myself in the last few weeks. What's interesting is that they tend come multiple times to the same recipient within a short period of time (e.g. 1 hour to 1 day). If you get unexpected messages similar to this, DON'T CLICK ANY LINKS!