Welcome New Members!
Blue Hills Country Club
Contact: Richard Fairman, General Manager
777 W Burning Tree Drive
Kansas City, MO 64145
Contact: Adam Rector, Account Executive
11184 Antioch Road, #157
Overland Park, KS 66210
Contact: Laura Buffington, Managing Director
1401 East 104th Street, Suite 102
Kansas City, MO 64131
What Does Health Care Reform Mean For Me?
No matter what you may have heard, the Affordable Care Act (sometimes called healthcare reform, Obamacare or the ACA) is here.
Healthcare reform changes a lot of things about health insurance but the three biggest changes are:
- People who have been turned down for health insurance because of serious health conditions will be able to buy health insurance.
- People who may not have been able to afford health insurance in the past may get financial assistance to help pay for it.
- People who don't have health insurance in 2014 will have to pay a penalty.
Starting on October 1, individuals and families can apply for health insurance and financial assistance to help pay for health insurance.
What do I get? Read more..
Chamber Seeks Businesses to Participate in Center Career Fair
Once again the South Kansas City Chamber of Commerce will be hosting a Career Fair in conjunction with the annual College fair being held at Center High School. We are currently looking for business to come and set up a table at the event.
The Career Fair is designed to help provide high school students with information about careers they are interested in. It is an opportunity for businesses to promote careers in their profession and provide students with a better understanding about the education and skills needed for those careers, as well as share information about job shadow and intern possibilities. Read more...
St. Joseph Medical Center Offers Free Family Health Celebration
St. Joseph Medical Center will host a free Family Health Celebration on Saturday, October 5, from 9:00 A.M.-Noon, in the Community Center for Health & Education on the Medical Center Campus at I-435 and State Line Road.
There is fun and education for the whole family! Children can enjoy a free petting zoo and pony rides, as well as trick-or-treating and a Halloween costume contest (judging at 11 A.M.). Adults can learn how to live a healthier life and receive a variety of free health screenings including: cholesterol level, blood pressure, blood glucose, bone density, skin cancer and more! Read more...
Click to view flyer
Hickman Mills School District Superintendent Provides Update
At the conclusion of every two months, Dr. Dennis Carpenter, Hickman Mills School Superintendent will produce the Superintendent's BiMonthly Notes. These notes will be produced with the following aims in mind:
Read the August Edition of BiMonthly Notes
- To celebrate successes across the district and bring attention to promising practices being employed in the district.
- To address what Jim Collins calls the "Brutal Facts" as it relates to challenges in the areas of curriculum and instruction and/or operations.
- To reflect on "the work" taking place across the school district. Via these notes, our community will be afforded a look into the Hickman Mills C-1 School District. In addition to posting these notes on our website, I will disseminate these notes electronically to all staff, community members (who have provided their email addresses) and media contacts.
- To spark conversation across the community about our Public schools, regardless of one's position or level of agreement. It is that high level conversation about education that oftentimes finds its way to the forefront in great communities that recognize the simple truth that no community is greater than its public schools.
Blue Ribbon Commission Seeks Input on KCPD Governance
In March, Mayor James appointed a group of citizens to study the Kansas City Police Department and how it is governed. The Mayor's Commission on Governance of the Kansas City Police Department has been meeting since then to examine the Department's structure, how it functions, and whether there should be a change in the way the Department is governed from the current system of a Governor-appointed Board of Police Commissioners. The Commission has heard from experts and others about the way the City and Department function and work together, fiscal issues, and how governance affects safety.
October 2, 2013
11:30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
at EBT Restaurant
Join us for this great networking event and bring lots of business cards! There will be a continental breakfast and great door prizes!
October 17, 2013
11:30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
at Strayer University
Topic: "Cerner: Plans for Development at the Former Bannister Mall Site"
October 30, 2013
4:30 - 7:30 P.M.
at Hillcrest Country Club
Join members of eleven area Chambers for the ultimate "spooktacular" networking event of the year. You can have a table in the expo to promote your business or simply attend and enjoy food and great networking.
November 7, 2013
8:00 - 9:00 A.M.
at Southeast Enterprises
Join us for this great networking event and bring lots of business cards! There will be continental breakfast and great door prizes!