for NAIFA-West Virginia's 2013-2014 Officers, Regional Directors and Committee Chairs
By Terry S. Mathias
2013-2014 NAIFA-West Virginia President
As we embark on a new year, I am honored with the privilege of serving you as your President. I am planning to work together with your state leadership team to serve the needs of all of our members and to strive to provide value to all of our locals as well as our state organization. My plans are to travel the state meeting locally with as many of you as I can. I want to listen, learn and take your ideas and insights so that we can utilize that input to strengthen our state association. Our industry is facing unprecedented challenges, and we need all of our members to be fully engaged in order to protect our livelihood and the financial future of our clients.
Keeping these things in mind, I would like to share with you the goals that I would like to see each local chapter strive toward this year. During our Area Leaders' Conference this past Friday, I challenged each local to strive to accomplish the following three goals:
1. Conduct at least quarterly meetings to include a program that provides value to the members. Several locals are already doing more than this, but this is the minimum standard to which I would challenge each local to accomplish. One of those quarterly meetings is the state convention, so the local would need to conduct at least three other meetings. If your local is currently not doing this, I would encourage you to step up and get involved. Contact your local leadership or feel free to contact me so that we can make your local a valuable resource to its members.
2. Increase the number of members in each local. Some of you have already added new members during the last two months. I really appreciate that effort. There is strength in numbers, and we all need to pull together to grow our membership and let our voice be heard in Charleston and Washington, DC. I have asked each member of the state leadership team to recruit at least one new member (including me), and I would like to challenge each of you to do the same. You all know someone who has been enjoying a free ride, taking advantage of our advocacy efforts without paying for it, and now is the time to change that.
3. Increase giving to IFAPAC. Less than 25% of our members contribute to IFAPAC. That is not a misprint. That is embarrassing. With everything going on in Washington, DC, and the upcoming election cycle next year, it is crucial that we increase our giving to IFAPAC. I currently give $35.00 a month to IFAPAC, and I am planning to increase that amount at the National Convention in September.
THANK YOU TO
For more information about sponsorship opportunities with NAIFA-West Virginia, please contact John Pauley at (304) 345-4343.
If you are currently contributing to IFAPAC, I want to thank you for your contribution and encourage you to increase it. If you are not currently giving, I would challenge you to give at the Century Level (bank draft of $8.50 a month). You will not miss the money, and it will put toward saving your future along with the financial future of your clients.
As I have mentioned already, we are facing some serious challenges in our industry, but when we join forces and work together we can accomplish great things. Join with me this year and let's make it a great one.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS!
We would like to thank the following companies for their continued support of NAIFA-West Virginia and our dedication to the industry. The Brokers Source, Ltd.Raymond S. Phillips, CLU, LTCP
412-847-0770 Hildebrand Insurance ServiecesEd Hildebrand, CLU, ChFC, RHU, REBC
304-422-5500 Ameritas DIJoe Noca
August is 100% Back to the PAC Month!
NAIFA CEO Dr. Susan Waters, CAE and NAIFA Secretary Juli McNeely, LUTCF, CFP, CLU have generously agreed to match the first $3,500 in contributions from new contributors during this campaign!
Don't Miss Out on a Chance for More IFAPAC Dollars!!
August is National Back the PAC month and all across the Federation, IFAPAC volunteers will contact NAIFA members to thank and encourage them to join, increase and renew their participation in IFAPAC - their Career Protection Insurance!
In order to receive the McNeely-Waters Match, contributions must be received by IFAPAC headquarters no later than 2:00 pm Friday, August 30, 2013. Contributions can be made by online credit card at www.naifa.org/advocacy/ifapac
or they can be faxed to 703.770.8438
or emailed to email@example.com
. (Click HERE
for PDF print contribution form). Contributions not reported to IFAPAC headquarters will not qualify for a matching contribution. The matching program is based on first come, first served.
To qualify for a matching contribution:
- The contribution must be from a first time or lapsed contributor who has not given since 12/31/2009.
- The individual contribution must be at least $100, but $100 will be matched for higher dollar contributions. For instance, $100 of a $500 contribution will be matched.
For more information about IFAPAC and to contribute securely online, please click HERE
Executive Director's Report
John E. Pauley, CLU, ChFC, CLTC
Photo Highlights from NAIFA-West Virginia's
2013 Area Leaders Conference Now Online!
FOR PHOTO HIGHLIGHTS!
NAIFA-West Virginia held its Area Leaders Conference (ALC) on Friday, August 9, 2013 at the Edgewood Country Club, Charleston, WV. This was a very important meeting that provided all the local officers and committee chairman the opportunity to share ideas and plan a successful year.
Membership, Political Involvement, IFAPAC and YAT were the key focus as NAIFA-WV President Terry Mathias
provided attendees with detailed information and guides to help locals revitalize and provide value to their members.
In addition, we reviewed a variety of resources available via the NAIFA website regarding CE and advocacy as well as the online virtual library that provides every agent free resources to use in their practice.
The meeting provided a forum for an active discussion of topics, concerns, and ideas which served as the basis for our 2013-2014 Association year. All local representatives were encouraged to have at least quarterly meetings, increase membership, and grow IFAPAC contributions.
We wish to thank the following attendees for their time and commitment to NAIFA-WV: Rebecca Bays
, CharlestonStephen Biron
, CharlestonKathy Chesley
, CharlestonDale Goff
, CharlestonBob Hurley
, CharlestonCliff Marstiller
, Tygarts ValleyTerry Mathias
, CharlestonJonathan Matuszkiewicz
, CharlestonWilliam McCloe
, CharlestonJohn Pauley
, CharlestonJim Peterson
, CharlestonLennie Roe
, HuntingtonCurtis Shinn
, North CentralDon Spurlock
, HuntingtonGeorge Webb
, CharlestonEric Weimer
, HuntingtonJim Peterson
, CharlestonLennie Roe
, HuntingtonCurtis Shinn
, North CentralAnthony Spurlock
, HuntingtonDoug Turley
, CharlestonAllen Wagner
September is Life Insurance Awareness Month!
The LIFE Foundation's annual public awareness campaign to let Americans know the importance of life insurance is once again set for next month. There's a growing crisis of too many Americans not having adequate life insurance protection. According to the industry research group LIMRA, 30 percent of US households have no life insurance whatsoever.
Today there are 11 million fewer American households covered by life insurance compared with six years ago. A majority of families either have no life insurance or not enough, leaving them one accident or terminal illness away from a financial catastrophe for their loved ones.
Serving as LIAM spokesperson this year is former NFL MVP quarterback Boomer Esiason
, who will be sharing his story as part of Life Insurance Awareness Month this September. Boomer lost his mother when he was just seven years old, an experience that shaped who he is today, both personally and professionally.
For more information about Life Insurance Awareness Month including Campaign Resources including a Producer's Toolkit
to help you include LIAM in your marketing plan, check out LIFE's website by clicking HERE
HEALTH CARE HIGHLIGHTS
Hi, I'm Thom Stevens
, NAIFA - West Virginia Lobbyist and Editor of Health Care Highlights.
FOR OUR CURRENT ISSUE AND ARCHIVE.
We are celebrating the 25th anniversary of our unique health care publication and this year we welcome communications expert Andy Wessels
to our team. Our newsletter reaches more than 5,000 health professionals and health policy makers. Health Care Highlights is your best source for West Virginia Legislative and Governmental health information!
Let's Go to San Antonio!
NAIFA 2013 Career Conference & Annual Meeting
September 28 - October 1, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
for complete details and registration!
NAIFA Member Benefit of the Month:
Connect with Your Clients with the Card2You App!
Card2You is a smartphone app that enables users to send an actual postal mail 5" x 7" printed, folded photo or Greeting Card in an envelope via 1st class mail, directly from your mobile device (iPhone, Android or Blackberry) for $1.99.
Highlights of Card2You:
- Quickly and easily send "Snail Mail" (Greeting Cards) from recent models of iPhone, iPad, Android or Blackberry (BB10) smart devices.
- Highest quality Photo output from a smartphone Camera or Library
- Ease of use /Interface - just a few taps
- Ability to send invitations for meetings, events and parties
- Low Cost
- Clever Auto-personalization
- Ability to add contact/company information, prints on the back of the card
- Ability to mail to several contacts at once quickly and easily (ala mail/merge)
- Ability for individual user to save their own personal message libraries
- Ability to create mail lists
- Any unique business graphics that can be "saved" to a mobile library can be utilized with Card2You
Connecting with your clients is easy, effective and cost efficient with Card2You - it's like having a greeting store in your pocket. Download this free app today at www.card2you.com
and enter promo code "NAIFA"
to send your first card for free.
For a complete and comprehensive list of all the exclusive benefits of NAIFA membership, please visit www.naifa.org/benefits
NAIFA is the largest financial services membership association in the United States, comprised of more than 700 state and local associations representing the interests of 200,000 members and their associates nationwide. NAIFA's goal is to protect your livelihood and your clients' financial security.
To join or renew securely online, please visit www.naifa.org
For more information about the National Association of Insurance and
Financial Advisors - West Virginia, contact John Pauley, CLU, ChFC, CLTC
IT PAYS TO BELONG!