Small businesses are defined as an independent business having fewer than 500 employees.
For generations, Americans have pursued the dream of owning their own small business. During National Small Business Week, we recognize the critical role that these small businesses play in America's economic growth and global competitiveness.
We have been very privileged to help these small and midsize businesses grow and prosper over the last 30 years through services like strategic planning, succession planning, coaching and management training.
Join us in celebrating the successes of small businesses:
- Over 28 million small businesses
- Make up 99.7 % of U.S. employer firms
- Employ roughly 130 million U.S. workers
- Account for more than 60% of net new jobs each year
- 64% of net new private-sector jobs
- 7.8 million small businesses are women-owned firms
- About half (49.2 percent) of private sector employment
- 42.9 percent of private sector payroll
- 46 percent of private sector output
- 43 percent of high-tech employment
- 98 percent of goods exporting firms
- One-third (33%) of exporting value
- Produce 16 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms
- 52% of Boston small business owners feel their personal health has improved as a result of running their own small business
- 4 in 10 (43%) Boston small business owners anticipate their revenue to increase over the next year
- The majority of Boston small business owners are planning on sustaining or growing their business over the next 12 months
- More than 2 in 10 (22%) plan on hiring more emplyees
- 66% say they have enough capital to effectively run their business
Here are some interesting local events to help celebrate Entrepreneurship and Small Businesses:
Celebrate Small Business Week at Microsoft
June 17-21, 2013, Microsoft Locations
Middlesex Small Business Week
June 19, 2013.
Spark and Hustle - Small Business Success for Women
June 24, 2013, Boston, MA
June 27, 2013, Online.
2013 Brand Camp: Branding, Entrepreneurship & Technology Conference
Thursday, September 26, 2013, Boston, MA
Small Business Expo
Thursday, October 17, 2013, Boston, MA