Dear Cienega Families,
It is amazing that we are now in our final weeks of the school year. It's the time of year to encourage all of our students to have a laser focus on academics, attendance, and behavior. After working so hard for the last seven months, we all must "finish the race" with success. You can support your child by looking at their progress on power school and by contacting teachers to help with this process. Tutoring and reteach are still going on almost everyday, classroom instruction is going strong, and finals are just around the corner. We don't slowdown until the very last day of school.
In the month of April we have AzMerit testing and ACT testing. The AzMERIT may factor into your student's second semester English and/or math grade this year. As an incentive for students to perform to the best of their ability, students who receive a Proficient on the AzMERIT will earn a 3% increase to their final semester grade in the class corresponding to the test. Students who receive a Highly Proficient will earn a 5% increase in the final semester grade.
I am so excited for our seniors and their future endeavors as they prepare to graduate from Cienega. It will be very busy in the final months of the school year. SEP presentations are scheduled on May 4-6, 2016. This can be a very stressful time for our seniors as they are checking off the final boxes and thinking about what comes next.
Please assist your senior in their final weeks as a Cienega student.
I appreciate the hard work and dedication of our teachers, staff, students, and our parents.
SUMMER SCHOOL INFORMATION
1st semester: May 31-June 3, June 6-9, June 13-14
2nd semester: June 16-17, June 20-23 and June 27-30
Includes two 15 minute snack breaks and a 30 minute lunch
$175.00 per semester. Checks payable to Vail School District.
What content areas:
Freshmen Physics, English, Algebra, Biology, World History, US History, Geometry, Government
All classes are held at Cienega High School.
Summer School registration forms can be picked up at the front office or download below.
TEEN DEPRESSION AND SUICIDE PREVENTION WORKSHOP AT CHS
Contact Rebecca Carrier at 879-1825 for additional information
IMPORTANT GRADUATION INFO
Senior Parents: In order for your senior to participate in the graduation ceremony, all fines in the Library, Bookstore and Cafeteria must be taken care of. Their name cannot be added to the seating chart if they owe fines.
Avoid the stress at the end of the semester and do it now. Contact the library, bookstore, and cafeteria at the numbers below:
SECTION FORMEMAN HOUSE AT ESMOND
We invite you to come help us celebrate the completion of the 1915 Section Foreman House Kitchen Friday, April 29, 2016 from 4:00 - 5:00 PM at Esmond Station K8, 9400 S. Atterbury Wash Way. Tour the house with the students who have done the work. Learn how the rehabbed kitchen will be the hub for the Heritage Truck Garden program. For more information call 510-419-4418.
- Ceremony is Thursday May 26th
- Graduation Rehearsal is Wednesday May 25th
- Honors Night for Seniors is May 18th. In order to be recognized, the counseling department needs to know what honors or awards your son or daughter has earned. Forms are available outside of Mr. Tritz's office and available on the counselor link of the CHS website. http://chsstaff.vail.k12.az.us/~tritzj/
- Have your senior bring in their acceptance letters or enlistment papers to be added to the Wall of the Future. Every time a student's name is on the wall, they are entered in the drawing for a free iPad to be given away at Honors night. Student must be present to win.
- National Signing Day celebration: On April 29th during PAWS there will be a national signing day celebration in the student union. Any senior who is on the wall of the future is invited to attend an ice cream social to celebrate their Commitment to their future. We encourage all students to wear college or military attire to where they will be going after graduation.
- Senior Parade: On May 6th at 9:00 AM we will have 3 busses available for students to celebrate their graduation by going back to the middle schools and elementary schools in a parade style fashion. Seniors will wear their cap and gown and students from the elementary and middle schools will line the sidewalks of their schools as our seniors parade around the campus while the band plays Pomp and Circumstance. Students can sign up at the front desk.
If your student is taking any courses through correspondence or Dual Enrollment through Pima, it is their responsibility to bring the transcript from that school to the registrar in order to get credit for the class and to be able to participate in graduation ceremonies. This deadline is MAY 1st unless taking a Pima class. That deadline will be two days after the class has been completed.
- If nine absences are accumulated in any class regardless of the reason, unless it is a school related activity, the student will not pass the class and if the class is a required class for graduation, the student will not graduate.
- Attendance appeals can be scheduled beginning April 29th with Molly Koenig (located in the library).
- Seniors planning on attending a four year college should have applied to their schools by now. You may lose valuable scholarship opportunities by procrastinating any longer.
- Be sure to check the CHS Website for updated scholarship opportunities. The link can be found by entering the website at http://chs.vail.k12.az.us click on the "Counselor"link, from there click on "Scholarships". This page is updated regularly, so check back often.
- Senioritis can sometimes creep up on students. Please be aware of this and monitor your students attendance and grades carefully so that there will be no unhappy surprises in May when it is time to celebrate the graduation of your son or daughter from Cienega.
Upcoming Volunteer opportunities at CHS
SEP Dates - Senior Exit Project Volunteers Needed
May 4th - 4:00pm - 7:00pm (Wednesday)
May 5th - 4:00pm - 7:00pm (Thursday)
May 6th - 1:00pm - 4:30pm (Friday, 1/2 day)
Sign-up NOW to volunteer for (1) day or multiple days. Call or email Amy Burton at 879-2811 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SPRING BREAK 2017 - GALAPAGOS ISLAND
Explore the Galapagos Islands over spring break 2017!
Mr. Joshua Farr, Mr. Jason Thomas and Dr. Robin Rathman will be leading this epic trip through EF tours. All students are welcome. If you are interested and motivated, we can work together to make it happen
! Come find out how! Attend a student sign-up meeting on Wednesday, April 13th at 6 pm
at Cienega HS in room 520 (Mr. Farr's room). With moderate effort, students and parents can
overcome financial hurdles through tax credits and fund raising.
Please email questions to:
Check out the tour itinerary and details here:
PHAT CAT DRAWING WINNERS
Congratulations to Brayden Tanner and Diego Olivo for being our Phat Cat drawing winners on Friday, March 11th! Brayden won the Truly Nolan Limo Ride for Prom and Diego won a free tux rental from Men's Wearhouse. Congrats guys!
Congratulations to Colton Lyman. Colton was the Phat Cat Drawing winner on Friday, April 1st
and won a remote control helicopter. Congrats Colton!
Thank you, parents, for your support of Cienega. We truly appreciate your involvement!
Cienega High School
CHS Online Store
Spirit Wear & More!
|Cienega High School|