Dear Cienega Families,
Last week, we successfully finished class schedule registration for the 2016/2017 school year. Current 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students selected their choices for next year's class schedule. If your student did not get a chance to register, please have them see his or her counselor as soon as possible.
Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, February 11th from 1:30 - 6:30 p.m. in the Student Union. I encourage all of you to join us and meet with your student's teachers to discuss his or her academic progress. If you need more than a few minutes to discuss concerns, please contact the teachers to schedule a time to meet during their office hours.
Also, consider joining us for Vail Pride Day on Saturday, February 20th at the Pima County Fair Grounds. Student work will be displayed, awards will be given out, and it is a great opportunity for the community to come together.
We look forward to seeing you at conferences and Vail Pride Day. Your involvement in your child's education is an important part of keeping our Cienega community strong.
Are you looking for a way to bring up your students third quarter grade? Then check out Intersession! The first session begins Monday March 14th and runs through March 17th. The second session runs from Monday, March 21st through March 24th. The cost is $75 per class. Classes are capped at 25 students with a 15 student minimum. First Session offers the following courses: English 9-12, Biology and Freshman Physics. The second Session offers: Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, World History, US History and Government. CLASSES ARE FILLED ON FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.
Click below for registration form and bus route information.
Hello Cienega parents,
On Thursday, February 11th, Student Council's Junior Class will be selling prom tickets during Parent/Teacher conferences. The tickets will be $70 and can be paid in check or cash. If you pay with a check, please make it out to Cienega High School.
Please note that in order to buy your student's ticket you will need your student's fourth period teacher and their matric number, or student ID.
Prom will be April 9th at Westward Look Resort from 8pm - 12am.
SPRING BREAK CAMPS
These are some opportunities for our students that Community Programs is offering over Spring Break. The Babysitter Training Camp is offered to students ages 12 years and up.
Download flier here
On Thursday, 21 January our NJROTC unit was given their Annual Military Inspection. The annual inspection is an assessment required by the Navy, that tests the cadets on basic NJROTC knowledge and skills and also evaluates the overall NJROTC program. Our NJROTC Area 11 Manager CDR Ken Liles, USN (Ret) conducted the inspection on behalf of Commander, Naval Service Training Command. Our unit received "Outstanding" in all areas, the highest grade possible.
NJROTC supported the Sunny-Vail Student Leadership Conference with the presentation of the Colors on 28 January 2016. The conference is hosted by the Sunny-Vail Community Transition Team and it gives students the opportunity to attend a professional conference in a meeting venue.
On 30 January, the NJROTC Orienteering (Land Navigation) Team won the 2015/2016 Naval Area 11 Arizona Orienteering Championship. Our cadet teams came in 1st and 2nd place in the Naval Area 11 AZ Championship, 1st place in the Coed category, and 4th and 5th in the Southwest JROTC Championship (all services open event). 290 teams from 32 JROTC Arizona high schools competed in the event.
If you have not yet downloaded the SchoolWay app, I highly encourage you to do so. The senior counselor sends push alerts to your Smart phone, or texts or emails if you don't have a SmartPhone. Go to http://www.myschoolway.com/vail to download the App. Join Cienega High School and then the GROUP: Class of 2016, or just enter the WayCode: 25fdhd
- All caps and gowns must be ordered by March 11th from jostens.com or 1-800-JOSTENS.
- Ceremony is Thursday May 26th
- Graduation Rehearsal is Wednesday May 25th
- Honors Night is Wednesday May 18th
There are only a couple more opportunities to take the SAT or ACT this year!
- If your student is taking any courses through correspondence or Dual Enrollment through Pima, it is their responsibility to bring the transcript from that school to the registrar in order to get credit for the class and to be able to participate in graduation ceremonies. This deadline is MAY 1st unless taking a Pima class. That deadline will be two days after the class has been completed.
- If nine absences are accumulated in any class regardless of the reason, unless it is a school related activity, THE STUDENT WILL NOT PASS THE CLASS AND WILL NOT GRADUATE IF THE CLASS IS A REQUIREMENT FOR GRADUATION! Refer to the student agenda for exceptions to this policy.
- Seniors planning on attending a four-year college should have applied to their schools by now. You may lose valuable scholarship opportunities by procrastinating any longer.
- Be sure to check the CHS Website for updated scholarship opportunities. The link can be found by entering the website at http://chs.vail.k12.az.us click on the "Counselor" link, from there click on "Scholarships". This page is updated regularly, so check back often.
- The FAFSA (free application for financial student aid) should be completed by February 14th if you are expecting to be awarded some type of grant. College Goal Saturday and Sunday is on 2/13 and 2/14 for help. Go to: https://collegegoal.az.gov/college-goal-fafsa for more information.
- Senioritis can sometimes creep up on students. Please be aware of this and monitor your students attendance and grades carefully so that there will be no unhappy surprises in May when it is time to celebrate the graduation of your son or daughter from Cienega.
- Please utilize PowerSchool on a regular basis and stay informed of the progress your son or daughter is making in his or her classes (https://ps.vail.k12.az.us/public/)
U OF A LECTURE SERIES
The students pictured below attended the U of A Science Lecture on February 1st on Climate Change and Global Food Security which was presented by Dr. Joaquin Ruiz, Dean of the College of Science.
(A.J. Aguilar, Dr. Ruiz, Lucas Wick, and Amy Quintana). These and several other Cienega students have been attending the weekly lecture series.
Thank you to my FANTASTIC and FUN parent volunteers for donating delicious food/drinks/desserts for our CatFRAT staff soup luncheon in December, our College/Career Fair volunteers, our 8th grade Open House volunteer and our Science Fair judges! Wow! Thank YOU again! Thank YOU CatFRAT Board!
Our next CatFRAT meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 16th at 6:30pm in the CHS Library and Education Center. Please join us, all are welcome.
Mark your calendars now! SEP is coming and we need YOU! MAY 4th
, 5th and 6th, times to be announced later. To sign-up now, call or email me at 879-2811 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (NEW Email!)
Happy Valentine's Day, President's Day, Vail Pride Day and Rodeo. We hope you have a blessed Lenten season!
ACT/SAT TEST PREP SCHEDULE
Cienega is offering ACT prep courses to any student planning to take the ACT test this spring. These courses will go a long way in helping you to increase your composite scores. The cost is $35 for a set of three classes. Please contact Mr. Tatham at 879-2864 if you would like more information or need help deciding which prep classes are the best fit for you.
SPRING BREAK 2017 - GALAPAGOS ISLAND
Cienega has a spring break 2017 trip planned to the Galapagos Islands!
We have arranged through EF tours to extend a $100 discount to students that enroll by February 28th.
SCHOOL WAY APP
If you haven't already downloaded our School Way APP click on the link below... it's that simple!
PHAT CAT DRAWING WINNERS
Congratulations to Sydney Kratzert for being the Phat Cat drawing winner on Friday, February 5th. Sydney won a $100 gift card to Best Buy. Congrats Sydney!!!
Congratulations to Jeremy Meeker-Hackett for being our Phat Cat Drawing winner on January 15, 2016. Jeremy won a Men's Fossil watch Congratulations Jeremy!
Thank you, parents, for your support of Cienega. We truly appreciate your involvement!
Cienega High School
CHS Online Store
Spirit Wear & More!
|Cienega High School|