Welcome back family and friends, can you believe that we are half way though the school year? Whew! Time flies.
Six new friends have joined Children's House: Chloe and Mackenzie in Canyon Room and Isabella, Reece, Arrow and Kyrie in Mesa. Please help us to make our new families feel welcome!
Reminder! We play outdoors everyday, please guide your child to dress accordingly. You may choose to leave an extra change of clothing in your child's cubby for those days when the puddles are irresistible! Your child and teacher will thank you for it.
Later this month we will celebrate National School of Choice Week! Children's House is participating this year and have a few activities in store for you including give-a-ways, a cooperative evening with other area Charter Schools, food, tours and more. Further details coming soon. A special thank you to PTO's Cari Spoonemore and friends for spearheading this inaugural event. In the mean time you and your family can learn the "Schools of Choice Official Dance" which we will be performing! Have FUN!!!
|NSCW 2015 Official Dance|
- Tuesday, January 7th-PTO meets 3:45-4:30 pm at the Beech Street Campus.
- Wednesday, January 8th-Finance Committee Meets 5:30 at the Beech Street Campus.
- Monday, January 12th-Board of Directors Meet at the Beech Street Campus. Please note NEW meeting times: Children's House 4:30-6:00pm, El/M Charter 6:15-7:45pm
- Thursday, January 15th-Children's Kiva Annual Peace Walk commemorating the life work of Dr. Martin Luther King and other peacemakers at Parque Da Vida, 10am. Meet at the pavilion
- Monday, January 19th-NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, January 20th-Charter Enrollment Meeting 7pm at the Beech Street Campus
- Wednesday, January 21st-Joint (Children's House & El/M Charter) Meetings at Beech Campus: Health & Wellness Committee, 4pm and School Accountability Committee (SAC) 5pm
- Wednesday, January 28th-Schools of Choice Progressive Evening, more details coming soon.
What is Peace Education?
Each month we highlight an area of the classroom to further parental understanding of Montessori Principles & Practices.
This month's theme is "Peace Education"; it may not be what you think. Montessori's Peace Education is about character development, promoting social justice, fostering cooperation, diversity, respect and responsibility through awareness of self, community, culture and the environment.
|Educating for Peace: The Essence of Montessori|
BONUS! What Children Teach us about Peace.
|What Children Teach Us About Peace|
REMINDER! Charter Lottery & Enrollment for K-8th: The Lottery for Charter Placement is nearing. Please be aware of the following information:
Who should apply?
- If your child has not previously been offered placement for Children's Kiva Montessori School's Charter K-8; the previous Lottery was held in February of 2014.
- If your child is on a "waitlist" for Charter placement for the 14-15 school year, you must reapply for placement in this next lottery.
- If your child will be Kindergarten age in the fall of 15-16, 16-17 or 17-18, NOW is the time to enter the Lottery if you would like your child to attend Kindergarten at Children's House. If your child has already been offered and confirmed for Charter placement, you do not need to reapply.
Please note preschool enrollment or Charter waitlist placement for 14-15 does not guarantee Kindergarten Charter placement nor does sibling Charter placement; you must apply in this next Lottery cycle. Conversely, if your child was awarded Kindergarten placement for 15-16 or 16-17, preschool placement is not automatic, you must enroll your child for preschool. If you are unsure please see Alexia in the office right away.
Anyone who is not already a current or a confirmed future Charter student and is interested in Charter Enrollment (K-8) must do so via Lottery. Interested parties must attend a MANDATORY Enrollment Meeting as part of the application process; you need only attend one of these meetings. More information including Lottery Application Deadlines & Timelines will be available at this enrollment meeting.
- January 20, 2015, Tuesday at 7pm, Beech St. Campus
If your child has previously been awarded Charter placement, you will be receiving an intent to re-enroll form within the next two weeks. Enrollment for Children's House (preschool aged children only)-FALL (15-16) will open to in-house families on January 31st.
|From our Board of Directors.....
Happy new year from the Children's House Board of Directors! As an independent, non-profit school, our Children's House volunteer board of directors meets monthly, the second Monday of each month at 4:30 pm. Keep an eye on your newsletter for upcoming events.
Our board's job is to oversee the financial and long-term health of our school through policy-making and support of staff and programs. We work closely with the board of our partner elementary school, Children's Kiva Montessori School. Currently, our six-member board is preparing for our annual retreat, supporting our administration with the 2015-2016 budget and working on a number of committees including: school facilities, fundraising, mission/vision, board development and finance.
For more information about the Board of Directors, contact president Matt Clark at email@example.com.
As always, your questions, concerns and ideas are important me; please come see me.