I hope a restful Thanksgiving Break was had by all. December is always a busy a month, don't miss out as there are any way to get engaged with our school community.
Academic Calendar Update/Changes
: Notice that our school will be closed March 12-13 for Staff Professional Development and the last day of school has been adjusted to June 5th accommodate our closure in March. Click here
for the updated calendar.
Thank you to those have already turned in your Parent Survey
; if you have not done so, it isn't too late. Your input is valuable to us and we take your input seriously. Please CLICK HERE
to fill out your survey today.
- Dec. 2nd, Tuesday-PTO Meets 3:45pm-4:45pm, Beech St. Campus, FREE child care provided.
- Dec. 3rd, Wednesday-Equal Exchange Fundraising orders are due.
- Dec. 6th, Saturday-Festival of Trees at the Cultural Center following Board of Realtor's Annual Parade of Lights.
- Dec. 8th, Monday-Children's House Board of Directors meet-5:30 pm, Children's House (1204 E. Empire) Campus
- Dec. 17th, Wednesday-Enrollment Meeting for families entering the 15-16 & 16-17 Lottery. If you have previously entered the lottery and have placement, you DO NOT need to attend. This meeting is only for new entries. For more info. see Enrollment & Lottery below.
- Dec. 17th, Wednesday-Health & Wellness Committee meets, 4:30 pm, Beech St. Campus
- Dec. 17th, Wednesday, 5:00pm-7:00pm, Beech St. Campus-Winter Social for ALL Montessori families, winter program followed by Chili Supper, please bring a dessert to share. Children's House students will begin the evening with caroling. Please join this joint campus event!
- Dec. 19th, Friday-No School, District PD Day for all staff
- Dec. 22nd-Jan. 2nd-No School-Winter Break
"Works" Spotlight -Science & Biology
Each month we will highlight an area of the classroom to further parental understanding of Montessori Principles & Practices. This month's area of the classroom is "Science" Read More
Montessori at home connections. This month's theme: Seasonal Lessons in Thankfulness and Generosity Read More
Montessori verbiage have you completely confounded? Read these two great articles and start throwing around terms like, "three period lesson" before you know.
Charter Lottery & Enrollment for K-8th:
The Lottery for Charter Placement is nearing. Please be aware of the following information:
Who should apply?
- If your child has not previously been offered placement for Children's Kiva Montessori School's Charter K-8; the previous Lottery was held in February of 2014.
- If your child is on a "waitlist" for Charter placement for the 14-15 school year, you must reapply for placement in this next lottery.
- If your child will be Kindergarten age in the fall of 15-16, 16-17 or 17-18, NOW is the time to enter the Lottery if you would like your child to attend Kindergarten at Children's House. If your child has already been offered and confirmed for Charter placement, you do not need to reapply.
Please note that preschool enrollment or Charter waitlist placement for 14-15 does not guarantee Kindergarten Charter placement nor does sibling Charter placement; you must apply in this next Lottery cycle. Conversely, if your child was awarded Kindergarten placement for 15-16 or 16-17, preschool placement is not automatic, you must enroll your child for preschool. If you are unsure please see Alexia in the office right away.
Anyone who is not already a current or a confirmed future Charter student and is interested in Charter Enrollment (K-8) must do so via Lottery. Interested parties must attend a MANDATORY Enrollment Meeting as part of the application process; you need only attend one of these meetings. More information including Lottery Application Deadlines & Timelines will be available at these enrollment meetings.
- December 17th, Wednesday at 4pm, Beech St. Campus
- January 20, 2015, Tuesday at 7pm, Beech St. Campus
If your child has previously been awarded Charter placement, you will be receiving an intent to re-enroll form within the next two weeks. Enrollment for Children's House (preschool aged children only)-FALL (15-16) will open to in-house families in January.
Traditions, Old and New.......
Festival on the Plaza, a new event sponsored by PTO happens this weekend immediately following the Board of Realtor's Parade of Lights. Please support PTO and the Cortez Cultural Center, stop by after the parade and check it out! Check out their website for more in depth look at what you can look forward to.
Winter Gift Exchange
A long standing tradition at Children's House is the Winter Gift Exchange. Families are encouraged to re-gift a gently used item from home. Items can include books, gently used toys or games or even a hand made item. Wrap the item, include a tag indicating "girl", "boy" or "unisex" and drop it off between Dec. 15-17. All gift items will be swapped and ready to go home with your child on Wed. Dec. 17th. If you wish not to participate please let your child's teacher know.
A twist on the familiar "Caroling Night". This year, Children's House will join our Elementary Friends/Family Wed. Dec. 17th at 5pm for an evening featuring performances by Children's House & Elementary Students. A chili dinner follows courtesy of both campus' staff. Families are asked to bring a dessert or side to share. Performances begin at 5pm and dinner is served at 6pm. Please join us for this new joint event. This is sure to become a lasting and treasured tradition.
Thank you to all the families who were able to attend our first Health & Wellness Night; what a treat. As always, your questions, concerns and ideas are important me; please come see me.