זכור את יום השבת לקדשו
CANDLE LIGHTING - 7:45 PM
HAVDALAH - 8:50 PM
SHABBAT PARSHAT EMOR - Leviticus 21:1 - 24:23
Summary of Parshat Emor
- The Kohanim, whose service in the Temple requires an elevated spiritual regimen, are given guidelines concerning acceptable marriage partners, limited participation in mourning and care to remain ritually pure.
- Certain physical conditions either temporarily or permanently limit a Kohen's participation in the Temple service.
- The laws concerning the suitability of an animal to be a Temple Offering are detailed.
- Many calendar related laws are related including those of the holidays, and their offerings. Specially detailed here are the agricultural offerings of barley and wheat which occur on Pesach and Shevuot, respectively, and the laws of the holiday of Succot.
- The Torah emphasizes the many aspects of purity in connection with the Menorah, and the Showbread.
- The parsha closes with an incident of spiritual violence (blasphemy), relates it to social violence (murder and battery), and sets penalties for each.
SHABBAT SHALOM שבת שלום -
Rabbi Joseph Gewirtz
CLICK HERE FOR LAST WEEK'S PARSHA