DPSAC News Header

November 27, 2013 issue of the DPSAC NEWS

In This Issue
NED Training Schedule for December, 2013 through March, 2014
DPSAC to Require Re-issuance of All Lost or Stolen HHS ID Badges
New Access Card Utility (ACU) Software Now Available
Helpful Tips
News Briefs



Contact Us


Division of Personnel Security and Access Control (DPSAC),  

Office of Research Services  


Personnel Security 

Helpdesk: 301-402-9755

e-QIP: 301-402-9735

Appointment Line: 301-496-0051

E-mail: orspersonnelsecurity@ 



Access Control

Helpdesk: 301-451-4766

E-mail: facilityaccesscontrol@ 




        HHS logo small Logo Mark NIH Logo Mark    

NED Training Schedule for December, 2013 through March, 2014


The HSPD-12 Program Office is pleased to announce its NED training schedule for December, 2013 through March, 2014. These classes are designed to help beginners and advanced users quickly master NED in a hands-on computer lab environment. All classes are FREE!  



How to Enroll

The NED courses are posted on the CIT Training site where visitors can view availability for any class and receive a confirmation immediately after registering. The catalog of NED classes is posted at http://training.cit.nih. gov/coursecatalog.aspx under "General Seminars." You still have time to register for the December 4 classes.   


When you see a course you want to take, just click on the course name (listed in the right column of the table). You'll be taken to the HHS Learning Management System (LMS) where you can register for the course online.


To log onto the HHS Learning Management System you can use either your PIV card and PIN or your NIH credentials. If you experience any difficulties accessing the LMS, please contact the CIT Training Program at 301-594-6248 or send an e-mail to: cittraining@mail.nih.gov


Also, the HSPD-12 Program Office will continue to post the NED training schedule in DPSAC News and on the DPSAC website at: http://www.ors. od.nih.gov/ser/dpsac/Training/Pages/nedweb.aspx. 

DPSAC to Require Re-issuance of All Lost or Stolen HHS ID Badges


As part of security system upgrades, a new DPSAC policy will take effect soon in which AOs will no longer be able to cancel HHS ID Badge re-issuance processes after reporting badges as lost or stolen in NED.   


In the past, when an individual reported a lost or stolen badge to his or her AO, the AO would enter this information into NED and have a seven-day grace period during which they could "restore" the functionality of the ID badge.


New Policy Begins December 16, 2013

Beginning December 16, 2013, once an applicant reports his or her HHS ID Badge lost or stolen and the AO records this in NED, the AO will no longer have the ability run a NED task that cancels the re-issuance task and restores the operation of the badge. The applicant will need to go through the full re-issuance process to receive a new HHS ID badge.     


New Access Card Utility (ACU) Software Now ACU icon Available  

The Access Card Utility (ACU) software provides an easy alternative for individuals to renew their certificates from a local Windows computer.  


The newest version of the ACU (v1.4.2) is now available, but installation requires system administrator privileges. 


Those Institutes, Centers and Offices that have deployed the ACU (or plan to do so) are encouraged to upgrade their ACU software to this latest version, along with ActivClient (v6.2.0.179) and the latest 'hotfix' to support the upcoming round of certificate renewals.  


OCIO Web Page Explains Where to Locate, How to Use ACUs 

Learn about the prerequisites for using the ACU, how to access the ACU within your IC, and how to use the ACU to renew your digital certificates on the OCIO Access Card Utility webpage:https://ocio.nih.gov/Smartcard/Pages/acuinfo.aspx
Helpful Tips

Tips for NED Users (compiled from recent NED training classes):  

-- before "pushing" a transfer, contact the AO listed as the
  servicing AO to let them know you're pushing someone

  Search -- to avoid 'fat fingering' the keyboard, it's often helpful to enter
  the first two letters of the individual's first and last name
  Inbox  --  when looking for a task you expect to see in your task list,
  click on the "Received By" column header twice to order the inbox with
  the most recent on top; clicking the column once orders the inbox oldest
  to newest. 
Updating Your Computer to Use Your New Certificates -- once you renew your digital certificates (see DPSAC News, September 4, 2013), or replace your HHS ID Badge (PIV Card), you will need to update your computer to use the new certificates. Instructions for this process can be found on the OCIO website at:


ICs that want to add LWS operators to the approved roster -- send a written request to Richie Taffet at: taffetr@mail.nih.gov. Your request should include the new operator's name, their IC, their NED number, as well as the operator's e-mail address, building/room and phone number.  


Once Mr. Taffet has approved the request, he will forward the name(s) to HHSIdentityAdmins@deloitte.com to complete the approval process, add the name to the LWS operator roster and inform the IC that the individual is now approved to operate the LWS.


Need to make changes to the LWS operator directories? -- drop an e-mail to Lanny Newman, newmanl@mail.nih.gov, and let him know what needs changing (e.g., adding new operators or LWS locations, removing operators, etc.). Remember, before a new operator can be added to the LWS directory, s/he must first be approved by Richie Taffet (see preceding Helpful Tip).  


If an LWS is not available in your IC or your immediate area, and you work in the greater Bethesda or Rockville area -- please call 301-451-4766 or 301-402-9755 to schedule an appointment with the Division of Personnel Security and Access Control located in Building 31, Room B1A26 or in Building 10, South Lobby, Room 1C52.    


If you work outside the Bethesda/Rockville area, contact your local badge issuance office.  


News Briefs

ITB's Disaster Recovery Solution Is Complete  

(Excerpted from 'ITB's Tech Talk,' November, 2013) 


The Network Services Group (NSG) within the Information Technology Branch (ITB), ORS, recently finalized a Disaster Recovery (DR) plan that allows for the recovery of all critical applications hosted within Building 12 on the NIH main campus in the event of any failure, such as a major power outage, a fire, or water damage to the data center.


The need for a disaster recovery solution was recognized because the server infrastructure in the Building 12 data center did not have a failover site. Critical applications, such as the Physical Access Control System (PACS), Building Automation System (BAS), Visitor Badging System (VBS) and many more will benefit from this new capability.*   


In the event of a system failure, NSG has created a failover contingency site in Building 10. This solution will minimize downtime for critical systems and help to ensure high availability for critical applications.


This disaster recovery plan will benefit the entire NIH community by ensuring that these vital systems and applications are protected from any potential threats or catastrophes.

Note: the term 'failover' describes the automatic switching of an information system to a redundant or standby computer server. 


OPM No Longer Accepting 'Hard Copy' Requests for Investigations as of October 1, 2013  

Effective October 1, 2013, the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is no longer accepting Standard Form (SF) hard copy investigative submissions.


All Standard Form (SF) investigative requests to OPM must be submitted through e-QIP. Any hard copies that are received will be returned to the submitting office. 


The following questions and answers were compiled from recent NED training classes sponsored by the HSPD-12 Program Office. 


Q. If someone is "deactivated" in NED, how do I go back into the system and re-activate them?


A. You must complete a new Register/Activate task in NED. It is just like entering a new person into NED.



Q. If you're updating someone's position and it results in a bump up in security level, does the individual get "credit" for the five years OPM has already gone back in your history - i.e., does that 5-year check required for a Non-Sensitive position count toward the 7-year check required in the Public Trust position?


A. No. Each investigation must be started from the beginning and all forms will need to be completed.



Q. What is the difference between "View Badge History" and "Track Badge Status?"

A. The "View Badge History" displays a longer chronology of activity associated with the individual and the badge. The "Track Badge Status" shows only the most recent activity. Both features are very useful for both reviewing activity for you and your customer.



Q. In general, when does a person need a new badge?


A. A new badge is needed when a person is reclassified from an NIH FTE to any other classification or vice versa. Put another way, anyone going from a white badge (no stripe) to a badge with a green stripe needs to have his/her HHS ID Badge reissued. The same goes for someone going from a badge with a green stripe to a white badge (no stripe).


Someone will also need a new badge if his/her legal name changes or they lose their current ID badge. Broken badges will also be replaced once Access Control determines the badge needs reprinting.


A new badge is NOT needed for changes within the "Affiliate" categories (i.e. other than FTE). New badges are also not required due to changes in personal information (other than name), work information, or position information. Transfers between ICs will also not require a new ID badge. 



Q. What happens when I "revoke" a badge?


A. When you "revoke" an individual's badge in NED, that person will not be able to use their badge to access any perimeter gates or restricted building entrances; however, they will still be able to enter the campus as a daily visitor.


Note: revoking the PIV Card (HHS ID Badge) in NED also suspends the person's logical (computer) access. To reinstate that person's privileges, you must request a new HHS ID Badge in NED. The individual will then need to go to DPSAC to complete the enrollment and issuance process again.



Q. What happens if I leave my HHS ID Badge at home?    


A. You will need to go through the NIH Gateway Center (or its equivalent on other NIH campuses) to gain access to NIH facilities. You will also need to call the NIH IT Service Desk at 301-496-4357 to be granted temporary access to the NIH network.



Q. If I deactivate someone's badge, is the person's record totally removed from NED?


A. No. An individual can have an active NED record and no HHS ID Badge.
If someone who previously had an HHS ID Badge at NIH left and then returned, the old NED record can be reactivated.  This is accomplished when the Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is entered, thereby ensuring that the person can use the same HHS ID number as before. 

Note: when an AO/AT deactivates someone's HHS ID Badge, s/he is required to collect the badge or instruct the badge holder to return it to DPSAC.


The training section of the NED Sandbox offers two scenarios that cover NED deactivation for someone (1) leaving today; (2) someone leaving a week from now. To access the Sandbox click on the following link: http://www.ors.od.nih.gov/ser/dpsac/Training/Pages/nedweb.aspx).  

A biweekly e-newsletter from the Office of Research Services, Division of Personnel Security and Access Control (ORS/DPSAC) to keep you informed as NIH rolls out "Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12" (HSPD-12) establishing a common identification standard to better safeguard NIH and its workforce.