STILL TIME TO
to our annual dinner on
Honoring 2015 ALearn Dream Makers Awardees,
Dan and Charmaine Warmenhoven
Dear ALearn Friends, Supporters, and Partners:
We have just finished our 8th summer of ALearn programs in math, "growth mindset" and college readiness for under-served students in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. We have served nearly 8,000 students in 15 districts during those 8 years!
Thank you for your help and support in getting these great results:
Students came, learned, enjoyed, explored and stayed: our programs had an average retention rate of 94%.
Parents got involved, learned about college and celebrated their students' success: over 100
people turned out at each of the 14 ALearn-sponsored parent events
70% of Teachers were returning teachers in our middle school MAP program
50 Teaching Assistants from many different colleges were actively tutoring, mentoring,
supporting students--and 60% of our college TAs are planning on a teaching career, so ALearn
is a pipeline for teachers, including many math teachers.
One story of a teaching assistant is typical of the first generation students who become our teaching assistants: Nick grew up on the East Side of San Jose, was raised by a Mom with a 5th grade education who had been a migrant worker and could not send him to college but encouraged him to do his best. He worked hard at school and with an extra job, got a 3.5 GPA in high school and played
band and baseball. He will get a BS in math from San Jose State and wants to become a math teacher. He was inspired to help others at his alma mater, Andrew Hill, get solidly on the path to college. He's a star!
Thanks for your support of our students, TAs, teachers and ALearn!
Learning, Not Learning Loss
Summer Programs Boost Skills, Motivation
Thanks to you,
- 1,213 low-income middle school and high school students filled
- 49 summer Math & College Readiness classes at
- 20 school sites in
- 10 districts
- Student retention averaged 94%
- 92% of 9th grade Algebra 1 students passed
- 83% of 9th grade Common Core Math 1 students passed
- 6th Grade students posted 30% growth
in their Geometry scores & 33% growth in Fractions
- 7th Grade students grew their Positive Rational Numbers scores by 30% and their Percents scores by 34%
- Over 90% of students "feel more motivated to go to college as a result of [the] program"
Students appreciate the opportunity to attend ALearn classes. Some sample quotes:
"The best thing is the motivation. They give you tons of "you cans" and no "you can'ts," which is the best."
--Middle School Student
"ALearn helped everyone have a vision for college no matter how much our parents make, or how far away it is."
--High School Student
Teachers see results: "
All of the students showed remarkable improvement over the summer. I was impressed at how their levels of grit and determination had increased and how proud they were of their achievements."
Teaching Assistants weigh in:
"I think having the TAs there to talk about college really made the students excited and motivated to go to college. In addition, the College Inspiration Night helped get parents more involved in their child's path to college. Finally, the College Field Trip really made the students excited for college."
Our students are
Math Strong, College Ready!
Did you know?
All of our programs build the skills, knowledge, and confidence students need to be prepared for the college-preparatory curriculum in high school, while changing their attitudes about themselves, their ability to learn, and their ability to go to and succeed in college. Summer programs feature:
- Common Core Math
- College-Readiness curriculum
- Instruction & practice in "Growth Mindset," the idea that intelligence is not fixed but that it can be developed through hard work and perseverance
- Hands-on, project-based learning
- Credentialed teachers, specially trained in Common Core math
- College-student Teaching Assistants as role models, most of whom are 1st in their families to go to college
- A College Field Trip
- A College Inspiration Night for students and parents
- An End-of-Program Celebration for families
ALearn's Wish List
Thanks for the tips on Graphic Designers and Printers! Here is this month's list:
- Brand marketing services
- Staples gift cards for classroom supplies
- General gift cards for student and teacher rewards