Happy New Year from ALearn!
We are very excited to begin another year at Alearn, and believe we are starting with renewed energy and a great team, a solid financial picture and refined programs. Here's how we see the highlights of 2012:
● Served 826 seventh grade students from 12 districts in the MAP and MAP Plus programs, with almost 90% retention rate and substantial post test score improvements on both math skills and attitudinal change.
● Served 456 students in our Catalyst program for entering 9th graders, with 75% of our Algebra students starting their freshman year in geometry, a year ahead of where they would have been. Catalyst Program expanded to three additional high schools: Mt. Pleasant and Oak Grove in East Side Union District, and Sequoia High in Sequoia Union District.
● Built new/improved Focus Strategy approved by Board: focus deeply on fewer districts, and "follow the student" over at least several years; add 6th grade to 7th grade MAP program, and add MAP Plus, the before/after-school programs in certain districts, eventually expanding to all our key districts.
● Piloted the MAP Plus Program in two districts, Alum Rock and Franklin McKinley in spring, 2012 and then continued as an after school program in the fall at Sylvandale in Franklin McKinley.
● Increased our Outreach to the community, with Alearn represented at many community and education events.
● Added to our Board Allyn Taylor, Lino Gonzales and Chuck House.
● Developed our Staff: Hired VP Programs, and an Encore Fellow for 2013; built system for TA Recruitment, and for cultivating teachers
● Grew in sophistication and success in Development with new VP and better system support.
● Held two successful fundraising events, a cultivation event in May at Stonebridge Manor, and an Alearn Breakfast in October
● Improved our Infrastructure: implemented Box solution for in-cloud storage; refined usage of our eTapestry donor database; and received donations of more computers, printers, etc.
Thank you all for your support, and we look forward to 2013!
Founder and CEO