December at Waukegan Public Library
Here a Chick, There a Chick...
Starting December 9th, children can visit the redesigned Early Learning Center and have fun on the farm through interactive learning games, activities, and toys. This year promises to be our best yet as children learn about healthy foods, gardening, and farm animals!
- Art Studio: Use markers, feathers, and a variety of other materials to create farm life art projects.
- Theater and Stage: Pretend to be a farm animal with a horse, duck, or pig costume or put on your own farm puppet show on our stage.
- Music Hall: Hear real animal sounds when you press a button on our "Sounds of the Farm" display.
- Nature Center: Pick apples off felt apple trees and collect them in baskets.
- Fishing Pond: Fish for fruit, vegetables, or fish in our magnetic fishing pond.
- Math and Science Lab: Plant vegetables in the garden and then weigh and sell them at the farm stand.
- Barn: Braid a horse's tail, climb hay bales, and slide down the hay loft slide.
- Milking Room: Learn about dairy products and then milk a life-size cow.
- Chicken Coop: Watch live chicks hatch in an incubator and learn how to hold them.
All in all, the ELC is a fun, educational place to visit frequently. Please visit the kids section of our website for more information about all our programs for children of all ages.
Children's Librarian and Early Learning Center Specialist
Waukegan Public Library
|December Holiday Program Spotlight
December 3, 6:30 pmFamily Film: The Polar Express
In this Early Learning Center Camp, take part in a variety of wintertime games such as "Cold Snowflake" and create a glittery snowflake craft. For children up to age seven.
December 8, 2 pm
Bring the whole family to watch a holiday film during Waukegan's HolidayWauk. "The Polar Express" takes place on Christmas Eve, when a doubting boy boards a magical train that's headed to the North Pole and Santa Claus's home. Free popcorn will be served.
Holiday Crafts from Around the World
December 17, 5 pm
Students in 3rd through 5th grade will learn about the various cultural holidays celebrated around the world and complete a craft from each culture presented. Registration required.
December 27, 1:30 pm
Come in during your holiday break and become a pawn in our life size game of Candyland. For students in 6th through 8th grade.