From the Principal
Dear Las Lomitas Families,
The Read-a-thon is over! Thank you to everyone that participated and supported this event, especially Cheryl Cho-Phan and Janet Jennings who were the PTA Coordinators. We are anxiously awaiting the final count of minutes read, so be sure to turn in your form or submit your minutes on line as soon as possible. We will have our popcorn party celebration on February 26th!
Las Lomitas League extra-curricular winter session classes began last week. In an earlier Roar article, I outlined some guidelines we'd like you to follow. Here's a reprint with a bit more detail:
- Please provide your Las Lomitas classroom teacher with your child's dismissal plan so she knows your child needs to go to the LLL class or sport on a given day. Without written instructions stating otherwise, your child will be sent to the flagpole, bus or Champions as usual.
- Please report your child's absence from an LLL class or sport by contacting the LLL instructor or parent coordinator directly. The school office is not involved in absence reporting for LLL classes.
- Be sure the LLL teacher knows who will pick up your child at the end of class.
- Please note that teachers and office staff are not usually informed when a class is canceled. The LLL instructor notifies you directly. If a class is canceled, you need to notify the office of any dismissal change.
- Teachers and office staff are not regularly notified when there are make-up classes. Please be sure to notify the teacher if your child is attending a make-up class.
If you have questions about the classes, times, dates or procedures, please contact Jill Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org . Thank you for your cooperation.
Until next time,
Las Lomitas League News
For parents who have registered for an Las Lomitas League class, here is some important information to take note of:
It is mandatory that parents email the dismissal instructions for your child directly to the Las Lomitas League instructor before class starts.
Instructors will be emailing you shortly in regards to this.
Please provide your Las Lomitas classroom teacher with your child's dismissal plan so she knows your child needs to go to the Las Lomitas League class or sport on a given day. Without written instructions stating otherwise, your child will be sent to the flagpole, bus or Champions as usual.
Please report your child's absence from a Las Lomitas League class or sport by contacting the Las Lomitas League instructor directly. The school office is not involved in absence reporting for Las Lomitas League classes.
Please be punctual to pick up your child after a Las Lomitas League class or sport at the designated class location, and not at the flagpole. If you are going to be late, please let the Las Lomitas League instructor know in advance and with written notice with the name and contact number of the adult authorized to pick up your child.. The Las Lomitas League instructors cannot stay late to supervise your child. If parents are repeatedly late, the student may not be able to continue in the class.
For parents who have registered on a wait list, you will only be notified via email IF a space becomes available. we appreciate your understanding that admittance is not guaranteed.
Our Cancellation Policy: Our system requires we pay a fee for every registration up front, therefore any cancellations are refunded at 90% of the class or sport fee. Cancellations will be processed up to 24 hours prior to the second meeting of the class. There will be no refunds after the second meeting. If you need to withdraw your child, please contact the LLL Registrar at email@example.com.
Late registrations: If we are able to accommodate a late registration, there will be a $25 late fee.
Dear fellow parents,
We wanted to take a moment to remind you all of the rules regarding the use of the directory.
The directory is provided by the PTA as a service to the families of the Las Lomitas School District. This directory is for the exclusive use of parents, students and teachers for school-related needs and District approved use only. It may not be used or distributed for any other purpose including business or political activities. All use of the directory must comply with Board Policy 5125.1.
We ask that you respect and protect the privacy of the family information contained within.
|Las Lomitas Education Foundation|
THANK YOU to all recent donors.
Of course, our ultimate participation goal is 100% of all District Families. So if you haven't yet made your donation, there is still time to make a difference for your child next year.
Thank you for investing in your children's education.
The Parent Volunteers of the Las Lomitas Education Foundation
Inquire about your employer's matching gifts program to increase your donation to the District.
Join or Update eScrip - It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Visit http://www.eScrip.com
- Register or renew your Safeway Club Card and credit cards at the eScrip website and then designate Las Lomitas Education Foundation (Group ID# 125673324)
- Start Shopping!
Please Join us At the Goose for a PTA General Meeting
Come join our community to hear the latest about the PTA's efforts, meet new friends and hang with old.
You read that right! Bring your kids, feed them dinner, AND participate in the PTA General Meeting. Who knew our PTA was so cool?!?
Special guests (in addition to the amazing PTA executive board) will include Principal Alain Camou, as well as District Director of Bond Projects Eric Holm who will have posters with all the latest and greatest info regarding the proposed construction at Las Lomitas.
This is a No Host Event however PTA will provide some light bites for the adults.
Mark your calendar - you don't want to miss it!
February 24th 6 p.m.
Meet in the downstairs room adjacent to outside eating area.
Congratulations to all of our readers! The Read-A-Thon has ended!
Report your Read-A-Thon minutes today!
Please report your minutes. There are two ways:
- online at www.laslomitaspta.org/readathon,
- return your brochure with completed reading calendar.
Submit sponsorship money, there are two ways to submit:
- via PayPal at www.laslomitaspta.org/readathon
- send in checks and complete the sponsor pledge sheet in the Read-A-Thon brochure. Please make checks payable to Las Lomitas PTA.
If not submitting via the website, please return brochure and pledge funds in the red Read-A-Thon envelope (sent home at the beginning of the Read-A-Thon) to your child's teacher. Additional envelopes are available in the school office. If submission of minutes and all pledge funds is done online, there is no need to return the brochure.
Please complete submission by Monday, Feb 8.
All grades that have met their goal will participate in the Popcorn Celebration!
Thank you to the students, their family and friends that have made this a success!
Examples of how your pledge funds are used:
Boxtops for Education Please continue to clip, collect, and submit box top coupons found on many favorite brands such as Betty Crocker, Nature Valley, Kleenex, Huggies, Ziploc, and so many more. Las Lomitas earns 10 cents for each box top submitted, and these really add up!
Box tops can be turned in any time to the cereal box in the Las Lomitas office. Write your student's name and room number on the bag containing the box tops to be eligible for our prize drawing which will be held February 28.
Arrival and Dismissal Safety
LAS LOMITAS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROTOCOL
Safety comes first at Las Lomitas. The streets in our neighborhood, including Camino al Lago, are very congested during arrival and dismissal times, especially on Wednesdays and minimum days. Please take a few minutes to review these safety tips. With everyone's cooperation, we can be sure that our students are safe and help traffic move smoothly.
We have also witnessed parents with small children darting between the buses during dismissal time. This is a very dangerous habit to get into. Please be safe and use the flagpole area for pickup and avoid using staff parking in the lot near Alameda de las Pulgas.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please share this information with others who will bring or pick up your child from school. We appreciate everyone's courtesy and patience in the parking area, on Camino al Lago and surrounding streets at arrival and dismissal times.
Alain Camou, Principal
AT ALL TIMES
- PLEASE BE PATIENT and RESPECTFUL; everyone is working hard to get students in and out of school safely.
- TURN OFF YOUR CELLPHONE!
- PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY and PAY ATTENTION, even on neighboring streets. Our students are young and not easily seen.
- PARK IN DESIGNATED PARKING SPACES; please honor the no parking signs and only use the handicapped parking spaces if you have a placard. Do not block neighbors' driveways ~ please model courteous behavior. Do not park in staff spaces before 9:00 a.m. Avoid parking in the bus lane even if it is for "a quick minute".
- LEAVE PETS AT HOME. Even the cutest puppy can cause more congestion and possibly frighten a student.
- WRITTEN PERMISSION IS REQUIRED FOR A CHANGE IN DISMISSAL; emails are not always read in time. Be sure the note arrives to school and is given to the teacher first thing in the morning.
ARRIVING BY CAR
- BE READY TO UNLOAD; have backpacks ready so the line doesn't back up.
- ALWAYS UNLOAD CURBSIDE; please do not ever unload from drive-through lane.
- APPROACH THE CROSSWALK AREA SLOWLY! Be especially cautious if you are in the drive-through lane.
- CHECK TO SEE IF THE CROSSWALK IS CLEAR of students and parents before driving forward.
ARRIVING on FOOT or BICYCLE
- ALWAYS USE THE CROSSWALK! Be a role model for the children, even when tempted to cut across the drive-through or loading lanes. Remember, even when you are alone, other children may be watching your example.
- LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing! Cars may not see you - watch for them.
- WALK BICYCLES on the sidewalk; LOCK them at designated bike racks.
PICKING UP by CAR at DISMISSAL TIME
- STAY IN THE PICK-UP LANE! Do not leave your car. Do not send someone to the flagpole to pick up your child and bring to the car.
- PUT THE NAME CARD WHERE IT CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN from a distance. Hold it up or put it on the visor. If you do not have a name card, you will be given another one and may be asked to circle around again.
- DRIVE SLOWLY through the drive-through lane if you are ready to go before others in front of you.
PICKING UP in PERSON at DISMISSAL TIME
- KEEP THE HALLWAYS CLEAR; do not wait in the hall to meet your child.
- KEEP THE GATE AREA CLEAR
- USE THE CROSSWALK! Watch for teachers to help cross through traffic.
- ONLY PICK UP AT THE FRONT GATE OF THE SCHOOL; do not park in the Champions lot or behind the school and ask students to meet you there.
- ON WEDNESDAYS, do not come inside the gate once dismissal is in progress. Tell the teacher assigned at the gate area your child's name and she will call your child to come meet you. Students will be grouped by grade level in the flagpole courtyard every Wednesday and on minimum days.
Session Requests for 2016-2017 ~
If you have a current kindergarten or first grade student and wish to move to first session next year, you must put that request in writing to Mr. Camou. He will begin taking requests by Google Forms on 5:00 p.m., January 11, 2016. The link to the form will go live on our website at 5:00 on January 11, 2016. No requests will be honored prior to this date and time. Your requests will be placed on a wait list in order received.
New family requests are not accepted until February 1, 2016
, allowing our returning families to have priority on the wait list. If you are on this year's wait list, you must make a new request for next year.
We do not "roll over" the list from year to year. Please call Mr. Camou if you have any questions about the session request process.
Please click here
to view the session request form.
A Musical Request
Does your child take private music lessons? Are you happy with the teacher? Would you recommend him/her to other parents?
As the Las Lomitas music teacher, I get asked for private teacher recommendations all the time, and I would like to update my list. So, if you have a private music teacher you would like to recommend, please e-mail me with the teacher's name, contact information, and, if you have it, a little bit of information about him/her, such as educational and performance background, teaching style, teaching methods.
Did you recently upgrade the model of your iPad?
Our K-5 classrooms would love more iPads for creating learning centers! If you have some old iPads around the house that you are not using, please consider donating them tot he district? Simply drop them off at either school, with your name attached, and we'll have a donation letter sent to you. Thank you.
Menlo-Atherton High School Presents "Into the Woods"
Opening at the Menlo-Atherton Performing Arts Center on February 26-27 and March 3-5, Into the Woods takes the audience on a musical adventure featuring favorite familiar characters in a lyrically rich re-telling of classic Brothers Grimm fables. Curses, quests, romance, and surprises abound in these woods. Music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by James Lapine.
Come see alumni of Las Lomitas perform on-stage! Tickets are available at the door or on-line at www.thecenteratma.org
$14 for adults, $10 for students/seniors.
Show time is 7:30pm
Jeff Arons Spring Tennis Program at Sacred Heart Schools
BEGINNING FEBRUARY 1ST
Classes for Adults and Juniors
Jeff Arons is the director of tennis for Sacred Heart Schools. His coaching experiences include founding/directing the East Palo Alto Tennis and Tutoring Program and coaching a Wimbledon
Calling all Baseball and Softball players! Alpine/West Menlo Little League and Softball is open for registration for ballplayers aged 4 to 13. We're looking to teach young players, give parents opportunities to hone their coaching skills and provide (paying) jobs for kids interested in youth umpiring. Little League Baseball and Softball offers a combination of fun and competitive play in a community-centric environment unparalleled in youth sports. Come join the fun. Registration closes on January 21st for players ages 8-13, so sign up at www.alpinelittleleague.com
as soon as possible!!
is hosting free lacrosse clinics April 10 and May 15 from 2-3 pm in Atherton. For more information, go to ENCORELACROSSE.COM
Camp Menlo at Burgess Pool will be offering a President Day/Ski Week Camp 2/15-2/19 from 9:00am-2:00pm for kids ages 5-9. Also mark your calendars for February 1st, our summer camp registration will be available with discounted prices the first two weeks!
Registration forms for the Las Lomitas Summer Program will be available on Monday, February 1, 2016. They will also be sent home to our current students in our Monday envelope that day. The theme this year will be AUSTRALIA and the dates are June 20 to July 15. Register early to avoid disappointment!
I hope all of you enjoyed a fantastic year in 2015 and are off to a great start for 2016. Panthers
"All Sports" Camp is back for another exciting 2016 summer. For more information regarding camp as well as registering, the link to the Panthers Camp website is www.pantherscamppv.com.
In order to register, please click on the following link: https://thriva.activenetwork.com/
- Session 1: June 13-16
- Session 2: June 20-23
- Session 3: June 27-30
- Session 4: July 5-8
If you register before 3/1/16, you will get the early bird special. Please let me know if you have any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If your child has outgrown camp and will be entering 8th grade, they have an opportunity to build leadership skills as a Junior Counselor in Training (JCIT). I will be sending out more information regarding this soon.
I look forward to another great summer with your kids at Panthers Camp.
Join Parker Kelly, the tech teacher for 16 years, for an exciting, educational experience at La Entrada's Mac lab this summer! In each 1-week session, students will learn programming, 3D design/printing and other multimedia skills in a fun, self-paced environment. Participants will learn from an experienced teacher (23 years) who has an MA in Instructional Technology. Each class will start with fun activities that cover essential computer science concepts using a mixture of visual block programming and coding, all while making fun animations, video games and Kamigami Robots
3rd Annual Kelly Coding and Creation Camps, Summer 2016
(that they get to keep!).
In addition, students will get hands-on experience designing 3D models and then print their creation with a 3D printer. As a culminating activity, the class will record a video in a broadcast studio environment that will show off their week at camp.
Participants can enroll in 1, 2, 3 or ALL 4 sessions if they want! Choose from one or more of the following sessions: June 13-17, June 20-24, June 27-July 1 and July 11-15.
Each day starts at 8:30 am and ends at 3:30pm. The camps are open to students entering 4th, 5th and 6th grade in the fall.
Click here for more details and to register.
Coach Tim's Sports Camp
will again take place at Las Lomitas this summer. There are 4 one week sessions beginning the week of June 13. Some of the activities are softball, soccer, broomball, ultimate frisbee and arts and crafts. We have flyers in the school office or go to email@example.com
for more information.
To submit an item, email Carol Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 12 noon on the Wednesday prior to the Monday publication date.
|The Lion's Roar is distributed via email every Monday. Printed copies are available in the school office, or the newsletter archives may be viewed online. If you have trouble receiving the Lion's Roar, please ensure your email reader or service is not blocking the Lion's Roar because it is a group distribution. To change your email address, please click 'Update Profile/Email Address' below. Thank you!