Dear Las Lomitas Family,
Wow! I cannot believe we have been in school for 17 days already! Not only have we been in school for 17 days, but it is my 17th day as being a part of your community. However, it feels like I have been part of the community much longer than that, due to the fact that I was so warmly and openly welcomed by everyone. My first 17 days here at Las Lomitas have truly been such a pleasure. Mr. Camou and staff have all played a huge role in gently transitioning me into my new position.
I am greeted by smiles on a daily basis from staff, parents and students. In my short time here, I have witnessed some excellent teaching and learning happening in classrooms. I have seen some involved and dedicated parent volunteers. I have seen caring and nurturing gestures by all staff members, hardworking custodial staff and fun, happy children! I have given students a task of coming up to me when they see me, to quiz me on whether or not I know their name. This has connected me with many students, but I still have many more names to learn! I have also appreciated the parents who have come up to me to say hello and introduce themselves. Please do not hesitate to do so, if you have not already.
I very much look forward to the rest of the year, and many more years here at Las Lomitas. I am very excited for the work that is going on here, including, but not limited to the expansion of the campus as well as our new musical garden (thank you PTA!) Now when I walk the campus, I will not only be serenaded by laughter, but also beautiful music.
I also invite you to attend our upcoming Board Meeting which will take place at our District Office this coming Wednesday, September 16th at 7pm. It is a great opportunity to see the faces behind the great work happening in our district, as well as a great opportunity to share your thoughts and ideas. Hope to see you there!
support their children's teachers directly. All the teachers and specialists at Las Lomitas have been invited to create a "wish list" of items that would help to further enrich their classrooms. Wishes may include art supplies, gift cards, books, or donations toward a special activity or field trip.
To view the lists, please visit our website.
Once at the site, select the list you want to view. Teachers' lists are divided into two sections, so you can choose to bring an item directly to the classroom or you can choose to make a donation via PayPal.
Thank you for supporting our teachers and enriching your children's experience at Las Lomitas.
Annual Las Lomitas Pancake Breakfast!
Please join us for one of the biggest PTA fundraisers and an excellent way to see old friends and make lots of new ones. The event isSaturday, September 19
from 8:30 - 10:30am
and will be featuring live entertainment...Tracy the Animal Guy!! Tickets are $6/person in advance or $8/person at the door. Outreach is available for this event. Please contact Christy Chalfant at 650.854.5900 X 269.
Sign-up here: Pancake Breakfast
Contact Tissha Brumm firstname.lastname@example.org
or 219.508.6188 with any additional questions. Don't miss this delicious and fun community event.
ATTENTION PARENTS: WE HAVE MANY VOLUNTEER GAPS FOR THE MEMORY BOOK!
This PTA-sponsored project is a perennial favorite of the children. We cannot make this project happen without the parent volunteers who support it every year, in the classroom, around school or as an organizer. There are many roles in which you can help, based on the amount of time you are able to contribute. No fancy cameras are required.
Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to help capture memories for your child at school!
- Classrooms: Classroom pages consist of less then 20 photographs and can be gathered over six months, when you are in the classroom volunteering already, chaperoning field trips or just simply by spending a free morning in the class or on the playground, taking pictures of the kids.
-School photographers and editors -- get front row seats at all the school events! Take pictures for school events, on the playground and help showcase our wonderful specials and PTA events. Simply upload your photos and you are done! This will all be done via sign-up so only sign up for what you can commit to based on your schedule.
- General editors and organizers - The production aspect of the project is more efficient then ever. All of the editing work is done online using pre-set templates and the software is drag and drop so it's very easy to use. Or sign up to help manage a specific aspect of book content such as cover contest, etc.
Please help make this beloved end-of-school event a reality for our children, parents and teachers...keep the memory book running and volunteer by sending an email to
Hula over to the annual Sweetheart Dance
Friday, Oct. 16th 7-9 pm at Jensen Hall at La Entrada
Aloha Dads, Grandpas, Uncles and friends!
Don your Hawaiian shirts, leis and grass skirts. Grab your favorite little wahine and hula on over to La Entrada for the much antipicated Sweetheart Dance.
Share a special evening with your beautiful daughters at this beloved annual event held in Jensen Hall at La Entrada. Both Las Lomitas and La Entrada families are welcome.
Tickets are $75 per father/daughter couple, $25 for additional children
We need your help putting on this event! If you are interested in volunteering please contact Maggie Oren at email@example.com
*we welcome all Las Lomitas and La Entrada girls and their adults, but sadly we can not accommodate boys at this event. For a special "boys only" event, please join us for the mother/son bowling event held November 7th by clicking here
Box Tops for Education
Please continue to clip, collect, and submit box top coupons found on many favorite brands such as Betty Crocker, Nature Valley, Kleenex, Huggies, Ziploc, and so many more. Las Lomitas earns 10 cents for each box top submitted, and these really add up! Box tops can be turned in any time to the cereal box in the Las Lomitas office. Write your student's name and room number on the bag containing the box tops to be eligible for our prize drawing which will be held October 15. Thank you for supporting our school!
Fridays are Spirit Days at Las Lomitas!
Get your Spirit Wear online by clicking the Spirit Wear link at laslomitaspta.org or bring cash/check and stop by our table at the Pancake Breakfast to pick up an awesome tie dye. Contact the Spirit Wear coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
School directories are coming in October
The school directory will be released in early October. It was held up this year due to some technical difficulties but we are working as quickly as we can to get it out to you.
Volunteers & Newspapers Needed
Our first through third grade classes will be attending a Lawrence Hall of Science Build It! Festival at Las Lomitas on Wednesday, October 7. We are looking for parent volunteers to help run the stations for this fun event. We are looking for parents who are available from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. Go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4fa9aa2dabfb6-volunteer for more information and to sign up.
We need newspapers...Even if you cannot volunteer, if you get a printed newspaper, please bring it to the Las Lomitas office. We need quite a lot of it for the Build It! Festival. A collection bag will be at the front counter. Thank you for your help!!
|Las Lomitas League
Registration for Fall, 2015 Las Lomitas League before/after-school classes closed on September 4th, and all Las Lomitas League classes start the week of September 14th.
For parents who have registered for a Las Lomitas League class, here is some important information to take note of:
- It is mandatory that parents submit the dismissal instruction form, which you received in your welcome e-mail, before your first class session. The link to this form can be found here: Dismissal Instruction Form
If you have not done so, please submit the form as soon as possible. We thank you for your cooperation.
- Please provide your Las Lomitas classroom teacher with your child's dismissal plan so she knows your child needs to go to the Las Lomitas League class or sport on a given day. Without written instructions stating otherwise, your child will be sent to the flagpole, bus or Champions as usual.
- Please report your child's absence from a Las Lomitas League class or sport by contacting the Las Lomitas League instructor directly. The school office is not involved in absence reporting for Las Lomitas League classes
- Please be punctual to pick up your child after a Las Lomitas League class or sport at the designated class location, and not at the flagpole. If you are going to be late, please let the Las Lomitas League instructor know in advance and with written notice with the name and contact number of the adult authorized to pick up your child.. The Las Lomitas League instructors cannot stay late to supervise your child. If parents are repeatedly late, the student may not be able to continue in the class.
- For parents who have registered on a wait list, you will only be notified via email IF a space becomes available. we appreciate your understanding that admittance is not guaranteed.
- Our Cancellation Policy: Our system requires we pay a fee for every registration up front, therefore any cancellations are refunded at 90% of the class or sport fee. Cancellations will be processed up to 24 hours prior to the second meeting of the class. There will be no refunds after the second meeting. If you need to withdraw your child, please contact the LLL Registrar at email@example.com
- Late registrations: In the rare case we accept a late registration, there will be a $25 late fee.
Cub Scout 2015-16 Registration
Want to know about Cub Scouting at Las Lomitas? All interested families with boys entering grades 1 through 4 are invited to join us at Menlo Park's Pack 222 Ice Cream Social, Sunday September 20
at Oak Knoll Elementary School. We'll have a fun, activity filled kickoff event! See how far you can shoot the Water Balloon Catapult! If you have further questions, please email Robert Freeman at firstname.lastname@example.org
(a proud parent of two Cub Scouts), and you can visit the Pack 222 website at http://pack222.weebly.com
|The Lion's Roar is distributed via email every Monday. Printed copies are available in the school office, or the newsletter archives may be viewed online. If you have trouble receiving the Lion's Roar, please ensure your email reader or service is not blocking the Lion's Roar because it is a group distribution. To change your email address, please click 'Update Profile/Email Address' below. Thank you!
To submit an item, email Carol Clark (email@example.com) by 12 noon on the Wednesday prior to the Monday publication date.