|From the Foundation|
We are so grateful for the support of a majority of our District Families. Thank you to all who have contributed! If you have not yet given, the time to give is NOW.
Our schools and our students need your support. Please make your impact, show your commitment, and do your part - every gift of any size matters.
Now every gift can help us earn an additional $50,000 through a generous family-funded Participation Grant. Can YOU help us?
The parent volunteers of the Las Lomitas Education Foundation
have been working for more than five months this year to raise the crucial funds that comprise the second largest source of revenue for our District.
Please take a few minutes and make your contribution TODAY.
It is important to know that the Las Lomitas School Board meets in early February to determine next year's budget.
The Foundation must commit to an annual gift amount that the Board can count on, and that we can deliver.
NOW is the time we determine the number of teachers and extracurricular classes that we can support next year.
What could be more important than investing in your child's education?
We need your help today. Please click here to
The Parent Volunteers of LLEF
Join or Update eScrip - It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!
2. Register or renew your Safeway Club Card and credit cards at the eScrip website and then designate Las Lomitas Education Foundation (Group ID# 125673324)
|From the Principal|
Dear Las Lomitas Families,
Our Read-A-Thon is at the half-way point! I encourage you to keep your reader reading! Be sure to help your child log his/her minutes and post them online. Mrs. Moran and Ms. Abal were our celebrity readers last Wednesday. This week PE teacher Carol Hedges and Reading teacher Janet Holbrook will be in the library Wednesday morning to read some great books to the children. I encourage you to come a little early on Wednesdays to enjoy this event. You might even spot Roary the Lion on campus!
Kindergarten registration started on January 6th. If you or someone in the neighborhood has an incoming kindergartner, please register as soon as possible. This helps us plan for staffing next year's classes. Remember, Ladera kindergartners are placed in first session and then in second session for first grade. All others must submit a request to be placed in first session in kindergarten. Session requests for kindergarten students (and new 1st-3rd) will be accepted starting at 10:00pm on February 1, 2015. Send your request by email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. All registration forms must be complete and turned into the office by January 31st in order to make a session request. Please check with the office if you have any questions.
Following this article is information about arrival and dismissal safety. As with the students, parents need to be reminded of safety expectations. I occasionally hear from neighbors about "near misses" and "unsafe behavior". Please take your time during arrival and dismissal times and slow down! Your children are so precious. A few extra minutes and courteous behavior will keep them, and you, safe. Thank you for your support.
Until next time,
Sue Sartor, Principal
Session Requests for 2015-2016 ~ RETURNING FAMILIES ONLY
If you have a current kindergarten or first grade student and wish to move to first session next year, you must put that request in writing to Mrs. Sartor. She began taking requests on January 1, 2015. You may email her at email@example.com. Your requests will be placed on a wait list in the order received.
New family requests are not accepted until February 1, 2015, allowing our returning families to have priority on the wait list. If you are on this year's wait list, you must make a new request for next year. We do not "roll over" the list from year to year. Please call Mrs. Sartor if you have any questions about the session request process.
REMINDER: All current Ladera kindergarten students will be moved to second session in first grade. You must submit a request in order to be eligible to be placed in first session for the 2015-2016 school year.
Kindergarten/New Student Registration
Kindergarten registration is now open. You may come to the office to initiate the process between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Please see the website for details. If you wish to be placed in first session next year, you must put that request in writing to Mrs. Sartor. She will begin taking requests on February 1, 2015 at 10:00 p.m. You may email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your requests will be placed on a wait list in the order received.
|Arrival and Dismissal Safety|
LAS LOMITAS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROTOCOL
Safety comes first at Las Lomitas. The streets in our neighborhood, including Camino al Lago, are very congested during arrival and dismissal times, especially on Wednesdays and minimum days. Please take a few minutes to review these safety tips. With everyone's cooperation, we can be sure that our students are safe and help traffic move smoothly.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please share this information with others who will bring or pick up your child from school. We appreciate everyone's courtesy and patience in the parking area, on Camino al Lago and surrounding streets at arrival and dismissal times.
Sue Sartor, Principal
AT ALL TIMES
- PLEASE BE PATIENT and RESPECTFUL; everyone is working hard to get students in and out of school safely.
- PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY and PAY ATTENTION, even on neighboring streets.Our students are young and not easily seen.
- PARK IN DESIGNATED PARKING SPACES; please honor the no parking signs and only use the handicapped parking spaces if you have a placard. Do not block neighbors' driveways ~ please model courteous behavior. Do not park in staff spaces before 9:00 a.m.
- LEAVE PETS AT HOME. Even the cutest puppy can cause more congestion and possibly frighten a student.
- WRITTEN PERMISSION IS REQUIRED FOR A CHANGE IN DISMISSAL; emails are not always read in time. Be sure the note arrives to school and is given to the teacher first thing in the morning.
ARRIVING BY CAR
- BE READY TO UNLOAD; have backpacks ready so the line doesn't back up.
- ALWAYS UNLOAD CURBSIDE; please do not ever unload from drive-through lane.
- APPROACH THE CROSSWALK AREA SLOWLY! Be especially cautious if you are in the drive-through lane.
- CHECK TO SEE IF THE CROSSWALK IS CLEAR of students and parents before driving forward.
ARRIVING on FOOT or BICYCLE
- ALWAYS USE THE CROSSWALK! Be a role model for the children, even when tempted to cut across the drive-through or loading lanes. Remember, even when you are alone, other children may be watching your example.
- LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing! Cars may not see you - watch for them.
- WALK BICYCLES on the sidewalk; LOCK them at designated bike racks.
PICKING UP by CAR at DISMISSAL TIME
- STAY IN THE PICK-UP LANE! Do not leave your car. Do not send someone to the flagpole to pick up your child and bring to the car.
- PUT THE NAME CARD WHERE IT CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN from a distance. Hold it up or put it on the visor. If you do not have a name card, you will be given another one and may be asked to circle around again.
- DRIVE SLOWLY through the drive-through lane if you are ready to go before others in front of you.
PICKING UP in PERSON at DISMISSAL TIME
- KEEP THE HALLWAYS CLEAR; do not wait in the hall to meet your child.
- USE THE CROSSWALK! Watch for teachers to help cross through traffic.
- ONLY PICK UP AT THE FRONT GATE OF THE SCHOOL; do not park in the Champions lot or behind the school and ask students to meet you there.
- ON WEDNESDAYS, do not come inside the gate once dismissal is in progress. Tell the teacher assigned at the gate area your child's name and she will call your child to come meet you. Students will be grouped by grade level in the flagpole courtyard every Wednesday and on minimum days.
A special thank you to the Fratello Marionettes for the assembly last Wednesday. In conjunction with the Read-A-Thon, the Fratello Marionettes performed the story Aladdin for the school. Then they presented a few extra puppets who did some fun tricks. Hopefully it inspired everyone to go read!
The Apple for the Classroom program provides a way for
parents to support their children's classrooms directly. All
the teachers and specialists at Las Lomitas have been
invited to create a "wish list" of items that will help to
further enrich their classrooms. You can fulfill teachers'
wishes by bringing an item to the school office or by
donating via PayPal toward a special item of your
choosing. Thank you for supporting our teachers!
Please click here
to choose a gift for your favorite teacher(s)!
MEMORY BOOK COVER CONTEST
Submit your Artwork by Wednesday, January
All contest entries will be included on the back cover of the Memory Book!!
The Memory Book team would like to invite all Las Lomitas students to submit artwork for the cover design of this year's Memory Book. We can't wait to see your creativity! Please only one submission per student.
- Use crayons, watercolors, or colored pencils.
- Use watercolor paper or another type of paper with texture, if possible.
- Use 8½ by 11 inch sized paper. (Slightly larger is OK.)
- Drawing should be in "portrait" format, meaning it should be taller than it is wide.
- Be colorful! Don't leave the background blank or white.
- Include the "Las Lomitas" school name and make it stand out.
- Include the school year "2014-2015" as part of the drawing.
- Include the Las Lomitas Lion as part of the drawing.
- Artwork should be "friendly" (no battles or weapons, please).
- The edges may be trimmed slightly, so don't put anything important close to the edges.
- Be sure to write the artist's name, room number, and teacher's name on the back of the drawing. Use a pencil for the name and write lightly so the writing doesn't show through the artwork on the front side. Do not use Post-it Notes as they can fall off and become lost.
- Please see Memory Books from prior years in the Las Lomitas library if you need ideas for your cover art.
Entries should be placed in the Memory Book bin in the Las Lomitas office no later than Wednesday, January 21st. And remember, all contest entries will be included on the back cover of the Memory Book. Finalists will also be displayed at the Student Art Exhibition during Open House. Artwork will then be returned when yearbooks are distributed in early June.
Great job reading! We're halfway through the Read-A-Thon!
Come check out the popcorn kernels popping up on the official Read-A-Thon banner outside Cano Hall! Each kernel recognizes a student who has read Milestone Minutes of 500, 1000, or 1500 minutes! Our school wide goal this year is 300,000 minutes!
Join us at Storytime in the Library on Wednesday mornings! This Wednesday, Ms. Hedges (PE) and Mrs. Holbrook (Reading Specialist) will be reading from 8:35-8:55am. Come visit and see all the fantastic book reviews that are posted.
Principal Sartor and Vice-Principal Camou will once again reveal themselves as Mystery Book Characters this Friday! Stay tuned for more Mystery Character clues later this week.
It's not too late to start submitting weekly minutes online. Go to www.laslomitaspta.org/readathon and also see a real-time update as each student submits his/her minutes. Each grade that meets its goal will earn a Popcorn Celebration!
Lastly, don't forget to work on getting pledge sponsors. One-time pledges or pledges based on minutes read will all make a difference in building our programs and facilities at Las Lomitas.
Questions or interested in volunteering? Please contact the Read-A-Thon Committee at email@example.com
|From the Technology Director|
Important to reach you in Emergencies!
Our SchoolMessenger tool for email/text/voice communication proved invaluable in
communicating with our families during last month's storms. Via email, we reached
100% of our families, but 50% our text messages were blocked. The system is
configured to send text messages to the cell phone numbers which you submitted into
InfoSnap, but only to the recipients who have agreed to receive them, or are not
blocked via corporate phones or provider filters.
On Tuesday, January 20, we'll run a test-message so you can confirm you have "opted-
in" to our SchoolMessenger system. Parents can easily opt-in by simply sending the
word "Yes" or "Y', to the text message number 68453. If you are not sure if you did this
previously, it's ok to do it again. It does not affect anything to do a second time. You will
receive a confirmation text immediately when successful.
When we run the test on January 20, you'll then be able to confirm if you have
successfully "opt-ed in". If you previously tried to "opt-in", and do not receive our test-
text, please check with your provider and confirm it's not filtered via a corporate
ownership, or contact me for additional assistance.
|Las Lomitas League|
Spring registration for classes is closing tonight Monday, January 19th at 11:59pm. Detailed class descriptions are on our website.
Are you interested in Las Lomitas' After-school Sports and Classes? Then join the LLL Board of Directors!
Join the team that provides enriching and fun after-school activities and sports for Las Lomitas and La Entrada students! Co-coordinators for next year's Las Lomitas classes are needed. It's a perfect opportunity for you and a friend! The Las Lomitas League (LLL) is a parent-led, non-profit organization and we are expanding our board of directors. Contact Maureen Goode to learn more.
| QWERTY Education Services, a premier provider of education services for Menlo Park, Palo Alto and surrounding Peninsula communities for over 25 years, offers private, one-on-one tutoring services, educational testing by Licensed Educational Psychologists and a variety of custom other education services designed to help your child. Looking for multi-sensory math tutoring, help with writing, study skills support, educational testing or expert insight about how your student learns? QWERTY is here to assist. - See more at: http://www.qwertyed.com|
Try Lacrosse!! Join us for M-A Grizzlies Spring Lacrosse! Free Demo for Girls ages 8 - 11 & Boys 7 - 9 on Sunday Jan 25th from 1 - 2 at Hillview Middle School Field- we have openings on our GU9 & GU11 & BU9 teams.
If you've never tried it please come on out and bring a friend. Lacrosse is one of the fastest games on 2 feet! See our site www.MenloAthertonLacrosse.com for more information. Please email us at MenloAthertonLacrosse@Gmail.com to let us know you can attend. No equipment required, we will have loaner sticks.
Jeff Arons' Spring Tennis Program
at Sacred Heart begins February 2nd. There are classes for adults and juniors Visit our website at www.jeffaronstennis.com
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Legends Baseball - Holiday Camps & Clinics!
Specialized holiday camps and clinics so your child can stay busy and active during the upcoming school holidays! Whether you're a beginner or all-star, experienced and enthusiastic Legends coaches ensure your child is learning new skills while have a Legendary day off!
What: Legends Baseball Holiday Camps & Clinics!
Where: Burgess Little League Field - 701 Laurel St, Menlo Park
When: Feb 16th (Presidents' Day), Feb 17-20 (Presidents' Week), April 20-24th (Spring Break)
Ages: 6-12 all skill levels
Studio Rincon Winter Youth Dance Sing ups are Open
Studio Rincon on Alameda in Menlo Park- Winter dance signups are now open! Classes begin the week of 1/5/2015. Signup here- http://studiorincon.com/schedule-youth.php Preballet, pre-tap, ballet & hip hop are all taught in a fun and positive atmosphere after school for ages 3-Teen.
Now offering additional classes at Alpine Hills Tennis & Swimming Club in Portola Valley. Classes lead up to the annual end if year show at Woodside HS PAC! www.studiorincon.com
Ragazzi Boys Chorus' Music and Movement class open
Register Now; Mondays 4:15-5pm, Feb. 2 - May 11, 178 Clinton St, Redwood City
Ragazzi Boys Chorus' engaging Orff-Schulwerk-based class for active young boys is now open. It's a great option for boys not quite old enough for Ragazzi's main program. This class is tailored for boys ages 5-7 with little or no previous musical experience. A child-developmental approach fosters boys' creativity and curiosity. Students explore rhythm games, channel their energy through music learning and learn concepts they can apply in any musical setting. $260 for 13 weeks; early-bird and sibling discounts. Contact email@example.com
, 650-342-8785. Register & more info at http://ragazzi.org/program/music-movement/
in Redwood City is holding a flag football
league this winter, beginning in January. The teams play indoors. For K - 3rd graders, all players must sign up individually. This age group kicks off on Saturdays, beginning January 17. Teams play 8 weeks and the cost is $199 per child. For more information, go to http://www.sportshouseonline.com/SportsYouth/YouthFootball.htm
or call 650-362-4975.
Panthers "All Sports" Camp is back for another exciting 2015 summer. The link to the Panthers Camp website is www.pantherscamppv.com.
In order to register, please click on the following link: https://thriva.activenetwork.com/Reg4/Form.aspx?IDTD=6807577&RF=11510011
- Session 1: June 15-18
- Session 2: June 22-25
- Session 3: June 29 - July 2
- Session 4: July 6-9
If you register before 2/15/14, you will get the early bird special. Please let me know if you have any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org). Do not hesitate to forward this email to others who may be interested in attending.
To submit an item, email Carol Clark (email@example.com) by 12 noon on the Wednesday prior to the Monday publication date.
|The Lion's Roar is distributed via email every Monday. Printed copies are available in the school office, or the newsletter archives may be viewed online. If you have trouble receiving the Lion's Roar, please ensure your email reader or service is not blocking the Lion's Roar because it is a group distribution. To change your email address, please click 'Update Profile/Email Address' below. Thank you!