Important Dates to Note:
- Tue., Aug .27 - Parent Information Night Grades K & 1: 7:15 - 8:00 p.m. Grades 2 & 3: 6:30 - 7:15 p.m. (Please note correction from last week!)
- Mon., Sept. 2 - NO SCHOOL; Labor Day holiday
- Wed., Sept. 4 - PTA Board Meeting, Room 20B; 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Wed., Sept. 11 - Morning with the Principal, Cano Hall: 9:00 - 10:15 a.m.
- Wed., Sept. 11 - School Board Meeting, District Office; 7:00 p.m.
- Wed., Sept. 18 - Student Picture Day
- Sat., Sept. 21 - Pancake Breakfast; 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wed., Sept. 25 - Holiday Workshop Planning Meeting, Cano Hall, 9 a.m.
- Thur., Sept. 26 - Kindergarten and New Family Welcome Dinner (watch for the invite!)
|From the Principal|
Dear Las Lomitas Families,
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! District and site employees were very busy over the summer preparing the campus for all of your wonderful children. The rooms are bright and clean, ready to welcome the children back to school.
New faculty members include Carolyn James (2nd), Elise Gelb (3rd), Stacy Olson (3rd) and Natalie Dowd-Abal (Preschool Strategies). I am thrilled at the depth and breadth of knowledge and expertise that these talented people bring to Las Lomitas. I will tell you a bit more about these new staff members in future articles.
In collaboration with the PTA and Foundation, we made two changes in our calendar. This year there will not be a Family Picnic as traditionally held in September. Instead, the Pancake Breakfast will kick off the year in September to welcome both new and returning families. We also decided to not have the Spring Sing in June. Mrs. Lampert will continue to welcome parents to the Music Room for two Informances during the year, and the Third Grade "Farewell Song" will be incorporated into Field Day in June. These changes were made to maximize participation and minimize the impact on family time. Please be sure to check the PTA calendar for all of the school's events in the upcoming year.
Although this is my 26th year at Las Lomitas, the start of a school year never ceases to bring excitement and anticipation for what is to come. I look forward to getting to know each of you better over the course of the school year. Communication is essential to maintain a positive climate and build community relations. To facilitate both of the above, Mornings with the Principal are offered again this year; the first is set for September 11th. Watch the Lion's Roar for details. Parent involvement is a key component of an effective school. We are most fortunate to have an active PTA, School Site Council and Foundation to support student learning and provide an optimal learning environment. I encourage you to participate in one of these organizations and wish you all a successful start to the school year.
Safety is always uppermost in our minds at Las Lomitas, so please take a moment to review the tips in the following section regarding arrival and dismissal. Your children are precious. Please help us keep them safe. A separate flier with this information was sent home the first day of school. Please review it with all of those in your family who deliver or pick up students from school.
Until next time,
Sue Sartor, Principal
Safety comes first at Las Lomitas. The streets in our neighborhood, including Camino al Lago, are very congested during arrival and dismissal times, especially on Wednesdays and minimum days. Please take a few minutes to review these safety tips. With everyone's cooperation, we can be sure that our students are safe and help traffic move smoothly.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please share this information with others who will bring or pick up your child from school. We appreciate everyone's courtesy and patience in the parking area, on Camino al Lago and surrounding streets at arrival and dismissal times.
Sue Sartor, Principal
AT ALL TIMES
- PLEASE BE PATIENT and RESPECTFUL; everyone is working hard to get students in and out of school safely.
- TURN OFF YOUR CELLPHONE!
- PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY and PAY ATTENTION, even on neighboring streets. Our students are young and not easily seen.
- PARK IN DESIGNATED PARKING SPACES; please honor the no parking signs and only use the handicapped parking spaces if you have a placard. Do not block neighbors driveways ~ please model courteous behavior. Do not park in staff spaces before 9:00 a.m
- LEAVE PETS AT HOME. Even the cutest puppy can cause more congestion and possible frighten a student.
- WRITTEN PERMISSION IS REQUIRED FOR A CHANGE IN DISMISSAL; emails are not always read in time. Be sure the note arrives to school and is given to the teacher first thing in the morning.
ARRIVING BY CAR
- BE READY TO UNLOAD; have backpacks ready so the line doesn't back up.
- ALWAYS UNLOAD CURBSIDE; please do not ever unload from drive-through lane.
- approach the crosswalk area slowly! Be especially cautious if you are in the drive-through lane.
- CHECK TO SEE IF THE CROSSWALK IS CLEAR of students and parents before driving forward.
ARRIVING on FOOT or BICYCLE
- ALWAYSuse the crosswalk! Be a role model for the children, even when tempted to cut across the drive-through or loading lanes. Remember, even when you are alone, other children may be watching your example
- LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing! Cars may not see you - watch for them.
- WALK BICYCLES on the sidewalk; LOCK them at designated bike racks.
PICKING UP by CAR at DISMISSAL TIME
- STAY IN THE PICK-UP LANE! Do not leave your car. Do not send someone to the flagpole to pick up your child and bring to the car.
- PUT THE NAME CARD WHERE IT CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN from a distance. Hold it up or put it on the visor. If you do not have a name card, you will be given another one and may be asked to circle around again.
- DRIVE SLOWLY through the drive-through lane if you are ready to go before others in front of you.
PICKING UP in PERSON at DISMISSAL TIME
- KEEP THE HALLWAYS CLEAR; do not wait in the hall to meet your child.
- KEEP THE GATE AREA CLEAR
- USE THE CROSSWALK! Watch for teachers to help cross through traffic.
- ONLY PICK UP AT THE FRONT GATE OF THE SCHOOL; do not park in the CCLC lot or behind the school and ask students to meet you there.
- ON WEDNESDAYS, do not come inside the gate once dismissal is in progress. Tell the teacher assigned at the gate area your child's name and she will call your child to come meet you. Students will be grouped by grade level in the flag pole courtyard every Wednesday and on minimum days.
The Las Lomitas Parent-Teacher Association (the PTA) provides the means for you and other parents to be involved in your child's educational experience.
- Join the PTA! Your membership covers the costs directly associated enrichment programs as well as a portion of the costs of field trips and the Holiday Workshop. This is also the time to purchase a Memory Book (school year book) and the essential Family Directory.
- Explore the opportunities to get involved with PTA-sponsored events and activities that provide enrichment to every student, teacher and staff in the school. We invite you to join other parents by volunteering at the school. No matter how much or how little time you have to spare, there are a range of varying commitments to fit your schedule.
We look forward to working with you throughout the year!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PTA VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE!
Thank you everyone who stopped by the PTA Coffee & Volunteer Fair last week. We had a great turnout of returning and new families. Thank you to Pookie Stern for providing all the refreshments.
If you were not able to join us for the Volunteer Fair, there are still many volunteer opportunities available! Simply sign up online at www.laslomitaspta.org/volunteer Please sign up by Monday, September 2nd.
The following programs require a lot of volunteers to run successfully. PLEASE SIGN UP!
Pancake Breakfast - Pancake Breakfast is right around the corner: Saturday, Sept. 21st, 8:30-10:30am! We need volunteers to Set-up, Cook Pancakes, Serve, and Clean-up. Don't miss this fun Las Lomitas event! Contact is Susie Gostyla firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot Food - The hot food program relies entirely on parent volunteers for serving lunch, so please consider signing up! Volunteering for hot lunch is an excellent way to be involved with the PTA, see your children at lunch time, have a great time with friends and get to know other parents. We are in need of volunteers Monday thru Friday from 11:45 to 12:30 once a week or every other week, please contact Christina Baszucki email@example.com
Green Campus - We have an amazing program that is not only educational for the kids but great for our environment. Consider volunteering for Green Campus and spend time with your children during lunchtime. Contact is Marie Klein firstname.lastname@example.org.
Memory Book - Help capture your child's year at school! Volunteer to photograph children and teachers throughout the year or create your child's class page for the school yearbook. Contact is Andrea Jasper email@example.com.
Art Notecards - Note cards featuring your student's original artwork are produced each Fall with teacher cooperation to raise funds to enrich visual and performing arts. Volunteering with Art Notecards is a fun and easy opportunity to work with the teacher and kids in your child's classroom. Contact is Tissha Brumm firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to contact me at email@example.com with any questions. Have a wonderful second week of school!
PTA Volunteer Coordinator
|Las Lomitas League|
Registration for Fall 2013 LLL before/after-school classes is now open! Hurry register your child for a LLL class before registration closes September 2nd at 11:59 p.m.
For schedule of the classes and to register online, please visit our website.
For more information, please refer to our FAQ page.
(Note: Once registration closes, we no longer accept late registrations. Parents who have registered on a wait list will only receive an email IF a space becomes available. We appreciate your understanding that admittance is not guaranteed.)
Volunteer OpportunityThe Las Lomitas League is in need of a registrar (or registrars). This is a great way to volunteer on your own time. The registrar sets up the online registration for classes and sports, answers questions and provides reports as needed. All work can be done at home. Board meetings are held once per month in the evenings. If interested, please contact Maureen Goode at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Las Lomitas Education Foundation|
Parties and Fun!
Summer is almost over, but that does not mean the fun has to stop! There are still a few available spots in some fantastic parties going on this fall. Come and celebrate the kids being back in school with you friends and neighbors! From the SxSW back to school bash on August 24 to the Mexican Fiesta on September 14, there is space in a party for you and your spouse. Come out and have some fun! Click here to register:
|From the Health Office|
| |A reminder from the health office: If your child will require medication to be given and/or stored at school, please bring it in the original container with a completed Medication Authorization form to the Las Lomitas school office. Important: a new form must be completed annually in order for us to administer medication (prescription or over the counter) at school.
Girl Scout Trail Ride Saturday September 14, 2013 @ Webb Ranch. Drop off 1:15 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. Pick-up 3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. Single riders ok, but volunteer ratios apply. Nut-free snack and participation badge provided. Price contingent on number of riders but will be under $52. Advance registration. No walk-ins. Open to registered Girl Scouts ages 7 and up. Contact Ginny Rader Ginnyrad@me.com for more information.
Classroom Volunteers Needed in East Palo Alto - An Hour a Week Could Change a Student's Life We are looking for parents willing to volunteer in a K-4 classroom this school year. Assist teachers with tutoring and individualized instruction much like you may have done in your own child's classroom, but these classes have no parents helping...no PTA. The schools are located in East Palo Alto and East Menlo Park. It's one hour per week with training starting September 6th. Our organization coordinates everything. To learn more about us, visit us here. Have questions or want to sign up? Contact Carolyn Blatman at CBlatman@aol.com.
Portola Valley Theatre Conservatory (PVTC) offers imaginative, challenging THEATRE CLASSES this fall!
PVTC's classes are open to students of all skill level, novice to experienced in Pre-K through high school. In addition to teaching acting skills, these classes build self-confidence and encourage collaboration with peers. Each week, students learn about theatre through well-loved theatre games and creative acting exercises. Students also rehearse a short play that is performed at the end of our 8-week session for family and friends. One of the highlights of the performance, in addition to the fact that all students get lines, is using simple costumes, props, & lighting, and performing the play on a real stage. Our fall theme is "Folktales, Myths, and Legends," so all of our short plays will center on classic stories of adventure and heroism. Thursday
classes begin Sept. 5
. All other classes begin the week of Sept. 9
. Register online here.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Cub Scout 2013-14 registration
Interested in Cub Scouts at Las Lomitas? Pack 222 will hold a kickoff event for all 1st-5th grade boys in mid-September and a new den for Las Lomitas 1st graders will be forming later this fall. If you have further questions, please email Tobias Freccia, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Pack 222 website.
|The Lion's Roar is published by the Las Lomitas PTA as a service to the Las Lomitas families and community. Before submitting an article, please read our newsletter policies.|
To submit an item, email Carol Clark (email@example.com) by 12 noon on the Wednesday prior to the Monday publication date.
- In the subject line of the email, please include the section in which you wish your item to be placed (see our newsletter policies for the list of our regular sections); for example, the subject may read "PTA News" for any item related to PTA programs;
- DO NOT send the article as an attachment but in the body of the email: submissions sent as a Word doc will be rejected;
- Clearly indicate the title of your submission;
- DO NOT send flyers but provide a link to them;
- DO NOT send pictures but provide a link to them;
|The Lion's Roar is distributed via email every Monday. Printed copies are available in the school office, or the newsletter archives may be viewed online. If you have trouble receiving the Lion's Roar, please ensure your email reader or service is not blocking the Lion's Roar because it is a group distribution. To change your email address, please click 'Update Profile/Email Address' below. Thank you!