We are in the midst of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. I want to highlight this very important topic because of the dangers associated with eating disorders. By the time the physical signs of an eating disorder like extreme thinness or rapid weight gain become noticeable, long term damage is already occurring.
Some alarming stats from the National Eating Disorders Association:
- Nearly 20 million women will suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their lifetime.
- Nearly 10 million men will suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder in their lifetime.
- Females between the ages of 15-24with anorexia are 12 times more likely to die from the illness than all other causes of death.
- 50% of girls use unhealthy weight control behaviors like skipping meals, fasting, smoking, vomiting, and taking laxatives to control their weight.
- 33% of teenage males use the unhealthy weight control behaviors above.
We offer an Intensive Outpatient Program designed specifically to treat eating disorders. More information about that important program, along with the other programs we offer at Doorways, can be found below.
Also, due to our growth
we are hiring therapists, dietitians, and a psychiatric NP or psychiatrist. Please click here for details about jobs at Doorways.