The Purpose of Prayer
John Calvin teaches that the Lord did not ordain prayer for Himself but out of regard for us. Indeed, the purpose of prayer
1. So that our zeal may be increased;
2. So that our hearts may be sanctified;
3. So that we may be grateful;
4. So that we may meditate on His kindness; and
5. So that we may be assured of His providence.
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion: 1541 French Edition
, translated by Elsie Anne McKee (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 2009), pp. 459-460.
For more information about this edition of Calvin's Institutes
, please click on this link and scroll down to Institutes of the Christian Religion
Grace and Peace,
Dr. James C. Goodloe IV, Executive Director