| The City of Victor's DREAM program provides an incentive for local businesses to improve their facades, earning them a 2012 Governor's Award for Downtown Excellence in the Best Facade Program category.
2012 GOVERNOR'S AWARDS FOR DOWNTOWN EXCELLENCE
Downtown Colorado, Inc. (DCI) is pleased to announce the 2012 winners of the Governor's Awards for Downtown Excellence. Since 2003, the Governor's Awards has recognized outstanding projects and people that reflect an attitude of perseverance and dedication to community revitalization in Colorado. Five of the winners in 2012 are Colorado Main Street Communities:
For more information, visit the DCI website.
- Best Adaptive Reuse or Rehabilitation: City Star Barn, Berthoud
- Best Downtown Management Program (population under 5,000): 'Cliffs Commercial District, Silver Cliff/Westcliffe
- Best Downtown Management Program (population over 5,000): Downtown Greeley Investment Strategy, Greeley
- Best Fašade Program: Victor DREAM Fašade Improvement Project, Victor
- Best New Construction or Infill Development: Central City Streetscape Project 2011, Central City
- Best Promotional Event: USA Pro Cycling Challenge (Stage 6), Golden
- Best Public Space Project: Downtown Bus Shelters and Interpretive Project, Steamboat Springs
- Colorful Colorado Award: Rebuilding of Gambles Store, Granby
- Creative Community Award: Durango Discovery Museum, Durango
- Downtowner of the Year: Gary Wink, Golden
REMEMBER! ENERGY AND MINERAL IMPACT FUND APPLICANTS,
HIGH PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM (HPCP) in EFFECT!
Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S. 24-30-1301 to 1307) require all new facilities, additions, and renovation projects funded with 25% or more of state funds to conform with the High Performance Certification Program (HPCP) policy adopted by the Office of the State Architect (OSA) if:
- The new facility, addition, or renovation project contains 5,000 or more building square feet; and
- The project includes an HVAC system; and
- In the case of a renovation project, the cost of the renovation exceeds 25% of the current value of the property.
- Project has NOT entered the design phase prior to January 1, 2008.
The HPCP requires projects achieve the highest possible LEED certification with the goal being LEED Gold. Projects funded through DOLA are required to participate in the OSA's registration and tracking process. Forms must be submitted to DOLA. Please contact your regional manager with any questions or visit DOLA's HPCP page on their website. For more information on the Energy and Mineral Impact Assistance Fund, or to apply for a grant, click HERE.
CHANGES IN THE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
I am leaving DOLA to work for Clarion Associates as a planning associate in their Denver office. I have been working for DOLA since October 2010 providing technical assistance and training to staff, elected and appointed officials, and others on land use planning matters throughout Colorado. My last day with DOLA-CDO will be November 9th. Please contact Andy Hill with any questions following that date.
It was an honor to work for my home state of Colorado. This position provided me with opportunities to work directly with communities all over the state, strengthen my understanding of small-town Colorado, and work with a terrific team of individuals at DOLA. I'll truly miss the job, yet look forward to continuing my career as a land use planner in Colorado.
Tareq Wafaie, AICP
- DOE Solar PV Code training - Lakewood, CO November 7th (call SEI at 970-963-8855 to register)
- APA's Writing and Updating the Zoning Ordinance - Denver, CO - November 7th
- Transit Alliance presents: The Transit Event of 2012 - Union Station - Denver, CO Nov. 8th
- 2012 Statewide Sustainability Roundtable - Denver, CO Nov. 9th
- The Election's Impact on Natural Resources Law & Policy - Denver, CO Nov. 13th
- Tax Issues for Conservation Professionals - Colorado Springs, CO - November 13, 2012
- Under the Gold Dome - The General Assembly & Municipal Involvement - (CML webinar) December 13th
- Commercial Energy Auditor Training - Several dates and locations
- Restore your economy - Disaster preparedness and economic recovery events - several dates
- New Partners for Smart Growth 2013 Conference - Kansas City, MO February 7-9, 2013
- SAVE THE DATE - Colorado Brownfields Conference - Denver, CO April 30 - May 1, 2013
For more upcoming events information, please visit our partners' calendars:
APA Colorado upcoming events page
CBF events calendar
CML event calendar
DCI community calendar
For more opportunities, please visit:
APA Colorado's jobs page
Planetizen's jobs page
Want to include a job opportunity or RFP in our next listserv? Email Andy Hill
News, Funding, and Other Announcements
About the Community Development Office (CDO)
Our Smart Growth and Main Street team is made up of community development specialists with expertise in land use and economic development. We are always available to assist Colorado local governments with related issues.