May 16, 2016
New Release: Author Note, Book Giveaway, and More
In this issue of KidsBookClubbing
, you'll meet Vika Andreyev, who can summon the snow and turn ash into gold; and Nikolai Karimov, who can see through walls and conjure bridges out of thin air in Evelyn Skye's THE CROWN'S GAME, selected as one of the Best YA Novels in 2016 by Teen Vogue.
Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp
Ages 13 and up / YA Fiction / HarperCollins/Balzer+Bray
Win a set of THE CROWN'S GAME by Evelyn Skye for your book club. Enter to win by emailing author Evelyn Skye (write "KidsBookclubbing" in the subject line). Dear Reader,
THE CROWN'S GAME is a story of star-crossed lovers, fighting a duel in lush, magical, Imperial Russia. But more than that, it's a story about love -- not just romantic love, but also familial love, and the love between friends -- and what happens when those bonds shatter.
This is a magical story grounded in reality, with opulent Saint Petersburg as its base, and characters who are much more human
than otherworldly. You'll see yourselves in many of them, from the gossipy baker to the quiet servant girl, from the impressive enchanters all the way up to the tsar.
Most of all, THE CROWN'S GAME is the book of my heart. It is life in the face of death. Beauty in the midst of darkness. Kindness and love where it seems impossible for such optimism to survive.
I hope you love this story and its characters as much as I do!
"THE CROWN'S GAME is a captivating tale that deftly transports readers to a mysterious and fascinating fantasy world, one teeming with hidden magic and fiery romance."
- Sabaa Tahir, New York Times bestselling author of An Ember in the Ashes
"Utterly enchanting. The true wizardry is in the atmosphere -- Skye crafts a Russia of magic and elegance, depicting St. Petersburg in such a breath-taking way that you'll swear you're standing on the banks of the Neva and dancing through the halls of the Winter Palace."
- Sara Raasch, New York Times bestselling author of the Snow Like Ashes trilogy
"[A] sumptuous, Tolstoy-flavored fantasy debut... Wildly romantic, wholly immersive, and gloriously over-the-top."
- Kirkus, starred review
"[S]himmers with pulse-pounding romance, astonishing wand-touched wonders, startling long-buried secrets, and a climax at once tragic and heart-soaring."
- School Library Journal
"Most Anticipated YA Fantasy Novels of 2016"
- Barnes & Noble
"Game of Thrones for the younger set."
- 12 YA Novels to Look For in 2016, New York Public Library
A Junior Library Guild Selection
"One of the Best YA Novels Coming Out in 2016"
- Teen Vogue
Amazon: Best of May
iBooks: Best of May
Goodreads: Best of May, Most Popular of May
Bustle: Best YA to Kick Off Vacation Season
- At the beginning of the novel, both Vika and Nikolai want badly to become Imperial Enchanter. But when they find out it will require them to fight in The Crown's Game, do their feelings change? How?
- Saint Petersburg is very different from what most people envision when they first think of Russia. How did the capital city differ from what you thought about Russia?
- So much of this book hinges on love. What kinds of love are depicted in THE CROWN'S GAME? Give some examples of how love-having it and/or losing it-affected the characters and the story.
- Vika, Nikolai, and Pasha all find themselves in impossible situations in the story. What would you have done if you were in their shoes?
- A maximum of 10 books is available for each book club giveaway.
| ||Copyright © 2016 Kids' Book Club Book. All rights reserved.|