Fall Conference Registration Info
The Official Publication of
The Federated Garden Clubs
of New York State, Inc.

Deadline for THE NEWS ONLINE 1/15/2013

Follow us on Twitter

THE NEWS ONLINE

The official publication of:

The Federated Garden Clubs of New York State, Inc.

104 F Covent Gardens,
Guilderland, NY 12084

Phone and Fax:
518-869-6311
fgcnys@nycap.rr.com

Office Hours:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday of each week from
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Federated Garden Clubs of New York State, Inc., was founded in 1924 and incorporated in 1930 for the purpose of supporting the Garden Clubs of New York State. The FGCNYS presently includes 300 garden clubs with 9,000 members across the state.

Membership in the Federated Garden Clubs of New York State, Inc. offers garden club members the opportunity and privilege of participating with others in advancing and promoting the objectives and purposes for which the State Federation was formed:
BEAUTIFICATION            PRESERVATION CONSERVATION

Calendar

October 17-19

Late Fall NYS Horticulture School, 9th District
Muscoot Farm, Somers

October 28-30

Central Atlantic Region Conference
Embassy Suites

Independence, Ohio

November 14

FGCNYS

Winter
Board Meeting

State Office Complex - Guilderland, NY

2013
March 16 - 18

FGCNYS - Annual Meeting and Installation of Officers
Millennium Hotel, Buffalo

May 14-16
Flower Show School

Course 1

Great River (see article)

May 23 National Garden Clubs Convention
Seattle, Washington
Installation of Officers

FGCNYS

Life Membership

by Maryann Jumper

mjump50@roadrunner.com

Editor's Note: Due to my error, this article should have appeared in the previous issue of THE NEWS ONLINE

Twelve New York State garden club members were inducted into the National Life Member program at the National Convention held in Buffalo, NY in May.

Dist 9    Dee Aspros

Dist 9    Judy Kennedy

Dist 8    Marcia Becker

Dist 8    Louise Farner

Dist 8   Monica Hansen

Dist 8   Jolaine Houghton

Dist 8    Melissa Marcus

Dist 8    Joan Metz

Dist 8    Adrienne                                 Pasquariello

Dist 8    Sharon Sangiacomo

Dist 6   Margaret Bryant

Dist 2   Eileen DiRicco

For having the highest number of inductees FGCNYS, Inc. was awarded a check for $100.00

Way to go!!!!

 FGCNYS, Inc. was pleased to welcome Jane Madis from Dist 10 as a new Life member in March.

Scholarship Benefactor's Fund

The Scholarship Benefactor's fund donations may be made in the following denominations:

Bronze Contributions

Jean Bennett
from Pat Cargnoni

Jean Bennett
from Elaine DiPietro

Diamond--$125.00

Gold----$100.00
Silver----$50.00
Bronze------$25.00

To make a contribution for the Scholarship Benefactors Fund, contact

Elaine DiPietro, Chair
1359 Underhill Rd.
East Aurora, N.Y. 14052

edipietro33@aol.com

Amana Garden Club celebrates 60 years

Amana Garden Club of West Seneca celebrated their 60th anniversary with a luncheon at "The Dove" restaurant on September 12th. A diamond jubilee theme was carried out in table designs and favors.

Members learned the history of Amana and it's association to the West Seneca/Ebenezer area in a program given by Amy Miller. Sixty years of albums and historical papers were available to peruse, and much reminiscing done.

Congratulations

Country Garden Club of

Clifton Park

60th Anniversary

OLD TOWNE GARDEN CLUB LUNCHEON, PROGRAM AND PRIZES

ONLY $40!

The Olde Towne Garden Club is holding its annual luncheon and floral design program on Thursday, November 15, 2012, at the Sea Star Ballroom/Atlantis, 431 E. Main Street, Riverhead. The floral design program will be done by Christine Saroka of Bayport Flowers at 11:30.

Doors will open for the Chinese Auction at 10:30 and lunch will be served at 12:30 with

a cash bar available. Tickets are $40 and can be purchased by telephoning Patricia Murphy at

 631-209-0323 or sending checks to The Old Towne Garden Club, PO Box 2812, Southampton, NY

11969.

Greetings!

Welcome to THE NEWS ONLINE. Communication between our members is critical to FGCNYS. You can help us by forwarding this newsletter to garden club members who may not be on our mailing list. Simply click on the links to the left.

Articles and photos of interest to our members may be sent anytime.

Did you know?
  • That by reading THE NEWS ONLINE you are supporting FGCNYS, Inc. initiatives to reduce waste, control expenditures, and get information to members quickly.
  • The Federated Garden Clubs of NYS is one of many NGC State Federations to go electronic with their newsletters.
  • Districts and clubs can "go electronic" with their newsletters, too. Need help to get started? Please call me.
  •  You can easily print, in black ink, portions of THE NEWS ONLINE for members without computers. Need help? Please call me.
  • Wondering how many garden club members have email? Would you believe 88%? Email newsletters work! Your support is vital.
Thank you.

Anne Dyet, Editor
716-812-4850

President's Message
                FGCNYS President Pam Foesher
 panne46@earthlink.net

Summer is  behind us and we will soon be doing our Fall Gardening.

As I reflect on my garden this summer I am thankful to Mother Nature for her beauty. For years I have wanted a wild flower garden, and she saw fit to give me an abundance this year.

Fall brings new projects. With school starting, it is a perfect time to get youth involved. It is also a perfect time to have a membership tea.

We had the honor at Fall Conference to have NGC President Shirley Nicolai and CAR Director Jeanne Nelson as our guest. There were many laughs and great programs.

All had a good time.

Information on our Annual Meeting in March will be coming and I hope that you all can make plans to attend.

Happy Fall

Pam Foehser

President

 YOUTH ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION

 Submitted by: Alice Dawes, Chair

The following are my ideas that can be used by clubs to connect with the youth in their communities and teach environmental concerns with a variety of effective approaches.

  • A field trip to a local arboretum or park to discover the importance of trees, water, erosion in the ecosystem.
  •  A reading program in the classroom to illustrate through stories how important the students' role is in preservation of ecosystems
  • Work through your local library to sponsor               youth programs for various age levels.
  • Discover if the library will provide support for programs within their budget that will allow your club to interface with the community youth.
  • Construct age appropriate programs that cover the importance of environmental issues in their lives: hands on exercises in planting, writing a journal,and using the library as a resource to discover the outdoors. Crafting such as leaf rubbing, and scrap-booking with environmental topics are good beginning.
  • Devise a summer/holiday recess program for a limited number of youth within a specific age group for an outdoors discovery program. Plan activities that cover basic ideas in environmental topics such as:
  • The importance of the water cycle in the environment, or for younger youth what creatures live in the water.
  • How plants germinate and grow. Or the different in seeds in nature.
  •  The importance of sun in the environment. What plants need light and why light helps them thrive.
  • How creatures use the forest to sustain life and make it through harsh climates.

Central Atlantic Region

Life Membership

by  Maryann Jumper

 FGCNYS Life Membership Chairman

mjump50@gmail.com

If you are looking for an excellent way to honor a member who has made a special contribution to your club, district or state, or just to treat yourself, purchase a C.A.R. Life Membership. C.A.R. Life Membership is the perfect gift for those members who already have State and National Life Memberships.

The cost is $50 and the money goes directly to C.A.R. Scholarship Fund to be awarded annually to a deserving college student who plans to /or is presently majoring in the study of Horticulture, Botany, Plant Pathology, Conservation, Environmental Planning and Design, Landscape Design, Forestry or other related subjects. These students are nominated by the seven states within the Central Atlantic Region.

As a C.A.R. Life Member, you will receive a note of appreciation from the C.A.R. Life Member Chairman, C.A.R. Life Member Certificate, C.A.R. Life Member membership card, recognition at C.A.R. Regional meeting, priority seating at one function during C.A.R. Regional meeting and lifetime listing of your name on the C.A.R. Directory of Life Members.

If you wish to become a C.A.R. Life Member or give a C.A.R. Life Membership to honor someone else, please complete the C.A.R. Life Membership Application located on the C.A.R. website.  www.ngccar.org. Send the completed application with a check for $50 made payable to Central Atlantic Region to C.A.R. Life Member Chairman:

Babs McClendon 3700 Riverwood Court  Alexandria, VA 22309-2719   PH 703-360-0920  babsm@erols.com

LM

Sincere congratulations to the following New York State members who were inducted as Charter Life Members at the CAR Regional  Breakfast at the NGC Convention: Marcia Becker, Bill Burke, Elaine DiPietro, Monica Hansen, Maryann Jumper and Gail McGee.

PASmith

FGCNYS 1st Vice President , Gail McGee (filling in for President Pam Foehser, who was unable to attend) with P. Allen Smith and Colorado's Fran Wittgartner . P. Allen Smith was our host at his home on Moss Mountain Farm, where we toured his home and gardens, and were treated to a catered lunch as part of National Garden Club's Fall Board Meeting.

Letters to the Editor

From: Shirley Nicolai

To: annedyet@gmail.com
Subject: Your newsletter

Anne,

Thank you for sending me your e newsletter. You did a great job!

Shirley

Shirley Nicolai, President, National Garden Clubs, Inc.

NGC: Proudly Serving our Members and Communities

12325 Hatton Point Road, Fort Washington, MD 20744

email: shirleynicolai@verizon.net

Blue Star Memorial

submitted by Antoinette Babb

Landscape Design Chair

aplantlady1011@hotmail.com

The FGCNYS award for Blue Star Marker or Byway Sign under Landscape Design Award is Number 47. Districts that have placed a Blue Star Marker should review their ability to apply for this award. The state award is eligible for CAR Violet S. Thorn Citation or NGC #29 and there are three categories listed on page 24 in the FALL ISSUE OF THE NATIONAL GARDENER MAGAZINE. PLEASE CONSIDER APPLYING FOR THIS AWARD.

BLUE STAR MEMORIAL MARKERS

by Steven Brown

stegar9@hotmail.com

   blue star

Dedication of the Blue Star Memorial Marker placed by the Richfield Springs Garden Club on September 21st, 2012, POW/MIA Recognition Day.

The Marker was placed at the intersections of NY State Rte 20, NY State Rte. 28 and Monticello Street.

Pictured (R to L) NY State Senator Jim Seward, Chairman of Event, Barb Crandall, FGCNYS,INC. Marker Chairman, Stephen Brown  and Diane Jouben, President of the Garden Club of Richfield Springs Garden  Club. The Garden Club is in District V.

The  Blue Star Memorial Marker program is alive and well and I am still receiving  requests for information about the program. This is a very good time to be bringing this matter to your clubs for consideration.

Please contact me for more information.

Stephen Brown
FGCNYS, INC. Blue Star Memorial Marker Chairman

 STEPHEN BROWN [stegar9@hotmail.com]

World Gardening
Water for South Sudan
Submitted by: Lucille Bauer

Our continuing World Gardening project for 2012-2013 is Water for South Sudan. South Suday is an independent country. Thirty three new wells have been built this year, allowing 33,000 people access to water. One hundred and thirty seven wells have been built since 2005. Wells transform the lives of the people of South Sudan by providing fresh, safe, potable water.

With your support, we are doing our part to eradicate disease, thirst, hunger, extreme poverty and child mortality.

Please continue to give toward this worthy World Gardening project. Send your donations payable to: FGCNYS, memo line World Gardening, to your District World Gardening Chairman.

BOOK of RECOGNITION

My apologies for any errors which occurred in the last printing of THE NEWS. Many names and computer technology do not always relate well. The Book of Recognition is always available for your viewing at the FGCNYS Inc., in Guilderland. You may also find the Book of Recognition names on our Internet Web Site. Thank you for using the Book of Recognition to remember and to honor folks.

Phoebe Hunt, Chair

phoebehunt@nycap.rr.com

Received Summer Board Meeting June 14, 2012 - Fall Conference Sept.10, 2012

District Name  Dono
VIIIBabbidean HuberIn AppreciationFGCNYS, Inc.
VIIIMonica HansenIn AppreciationFGCNYS, Inc.
VIIIJudith TucholskiIn AppreciationFGCNYS, Inc.
IIIBarbara CampbellIn AppreciationFGCNYS, Inc.
X Heidi Buchholz In Appreciation Ellie Loughlin
X Carol Comando In Appreciation Ellie Loughlin
X Diane Schliphack In Appreciation Ellie Loughlin
IIRobert McKeonIn MemoryJean Lipshie
IIChristine Wylie In MemoryMunsey Park G. C.
VChristine DahlIn AppreciationKingsboro G. C.
IIJames ConnollyIn MemoryThree Village G. C.
VElizabeth ArrandaleIn AppreciationSchoharie Valley G, C.
IJean Freedman BennettIn MemoryFGCNYS, Inc.
IIElsie HandelmanIn AppreciationGreat Neck G.C.
IIMuriel  HorowitzIn MemoryGreat Neck G.C.
IIIBarbara G. OswaldIn Memory Third Dist.Board MembersFGCNYS, Inc.
IIChris RemmerIn AppreciationSayville G.C.
IIBeatrice  BuxtonIn AppreciationSayville G.C.
IIJanet CroceIn AppreciationSayville G.C.
IISandra ImmoorIn AppreciationSayville G. C.
IIRobert ReischeIn MemorySound View G. C.

SPOTLIGHT ON MEMORIAL GARDENS

By Carolyn Pinto

 In District Seven of Monroe County there is a beautiful memorial garden to honor all past and deceased garden club members for their devotion and hard work to the Fairport Garden Club.  The garden is located in  Perinton Park, Fairport, New York.

Current members of the Fairport Garden Club maintain this garden monthly throughout the year.  It's lovely in full bloom and is in excellent condition!

Herbs
by Auralie Logan FGCNYS Horticulture Chair

Let's start with a definition.  The American College Dictionary says:

Herb: 1. A flowering plant whose stem above ground does not become woody and persistent. 2. Such a plant when valued for its medicinal properties, flavor, scent, etc.  So when we write a flower show schedule, we put in a section for Herbs and the classes are culinary, fragrant, and medicinal.  Sometimes we are not sure which category a given plant belongs to, but the really important thing is to have like plants with like.

Do we say "an erb" or "a herb"  We usually say an erb, which possibly reflects our Anglo-Saxon roots - "erb" would have been the cockney, dropped "h" pronunciation of early settlers.  But if, like Mori Zeltner, you are married to one, you probably say Herb.  And if, like me, you grew up in the deep South, you would have heard country women who spoke of "yarbs."

Since we are a garden club, we should be concerned with growing things.  Herbs cover such a wide range of plants, there is no way to give absolute rules for growing them.  In general, however, herbs are usually easy to grow and not usually demanding of special conditions.  Most do well in part-to-full sun, and average soil. In fact, many perennial types are aggressive and need to be contained in some manner.  Mint, lemon balm, sweet woodruff and monarda are good examples of this. The annuals are often given to reseeding freely.  Borage is pretty, but quickly becomes a pest if not carefully contained.

Herbs have been used since the earliest recorded history - which makes sense since early man had to use whatever came to hand in hunter-gatherer societies.  We know that the ancient Egyptians used herbs in the process of mummification of the dead.  For instance, chamomile, rosemary, onions and black peppercorns were found in the mummy wrappings of Ramses II.  Elaborate garlands were placed in the Egyptian tombs, which often included olive leaves, willow leaves, celery leaves, red poppies and safflower.

Herbs appear in the Bible, and in Greek and Roman mythology. For instance, the Bible mentions that the Pharisees collected tithes in mint, dill and cumin, and there are numerous references to wormwood, or Artemisia.  Many Greek and Roman myths feature herbs or plants - many of which were created by divine actions or resulted from the misbehavior of those randy gods.

Verbena was a holy herb of the Greeks, who also used wreaths of laurel (bay) and garlands of parsley to adorn victorious athletes.  Romans wore sprigs of parsley to ward off intoxication.

Hindus consider Basil a holy herb sacred to Vishnu

Herbals, or books describing the virtues and uses of various plants, are among the earliest publications. Hildegard von Bingen, the first major German mystic, born in 1098, wrote a visionary dissertation on medicine and natural sciences.  The original of this work is lost, but parts of it were preserved in a thirteenth century manuscript, Physica, or The Book of Simple Medicine.  John Gerard (1545-1612) published the English Herball in 1597, which became the first plant catalog.  In 1653, Nicholas Culpeper, a London physician, published another Herball.  These two books were each immensely popular, and were republished in many editions - even available today. John Hill published another "British Herbal' in 1741, and this type of book continued to be valued until recent times.    A more modern reference is Potter's New Cyclopaedia of Medicinal Herbs and Preparations, first published in 1907, and even more recently, the beautiful book, Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden has delighted followers of the popular television series.  These books continue to be enjoyable reading, even when we don't rely on them for medical treatment.

In the 20th century, the medical profession in this country, led by the pharmaceutical industry, moved away from the use of any natural remedies to favor chemical compounds instead. In other parts of the world, however, herbal remedies are still widely used.  Germany, for instance is a leader in research in the use of natural substances.  A search of the Internet reveals an incredible variety of herbal resources - many of them in Europe.  American sites are usually devoted to horticultural information or culinary uses, but the Europeans continue to use herbal remedies for all sorts of minor illnesses and the movement toward natural remedies is growing in the U. S. For instance, The Complete Self-Care guide to Holistic Medicine, by Robert S. Ivker, which, incredibly, was published without an index, lists numerous herbal remedies.

Not only have herbs been used medicinally.  They were also important in witchcraft. Various herbal preparations were used in spells of all sorts.  To summon beings from the spirit world, witches burned a magical incense in a procedure known as a "suffumigation".  Various plants were used to attract spirits, including anise, amaranth, pipsissewa, sweetgrass and wormwood.  Wormwood (Artemisia) mixed with sandalwood and burned in a graveyard would cause the spirits of the dead there to rise and speak.  Lavender was also mixed with sandalwood to summon spirits. To draw beneficial spirits and to gain their blessing, offerings were made of lilac,mint, rose petals,purple heather, and violets.  All of these but rose petals were of a lavender color, so perhaps beneficial spirits preferred this shade.  Catnip, if grown near the house or hung over the door, will attract good spirits and good luck.  Althea is considered a 'spirit puller:' you place it on the altar to bring in good spirits during a ceremony.

  Many of the most commonly used herbs also had a dark side if improperly used.  For instance, parsley is one of the essential plants in a witch's garden.  Medieval legend said that parsley seeds went to the devil nine times and back before they would germinate.  This stems from the earlier Greek belief that parsley seeds visited the underworld nine times before sprouting.  Of course, the fact that parsley seeds are very slow to sprout supported this concept.  Parsley was dedicated to Persephone, the wife of Hades and Queen of the Underworld.  Ancient Greek athletes wore garlands of parsley, and wreaths of parsley were used to decorate tombs and to honor the dead at funeral feasts.  The Greek phrase 'to be in need of parsley' denoted someone who was close to death.  Romans wore sprigs of parsley to ward off intoxication (at funeral feasts?). Seneca described Medea gathering parsley by moonlight, in the same manner as the medieval witches were supposed to gather their herbs.

Herbs have long been used for their fragrance as well as for medicinal and culinary purposes.  Pomanders were once carried by the populace because physicians thought they were protection against disease.  The wealthy carried intricately designed hollow metal balls filled with scented herbs, and ordinary people studded apples or oranges with cloves.  Later, Victorians used them for scenting gloves, underwear and handkerchiefs. Sachets are also popular uses of fragrant herbs.

  The subject of culinary herbs fills many books.  In recent decades the popularity in America of herbs used in cooking has grown immensely, probably starting with oregano in pizza right after World War II.  Before that time, the most commonly used herbs in this country were mint, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf.  Now whole sections of specialty shops are devoted to herbs, and even the A&P offers fresh dill, basil, cilantro, fennel, and some others.

  Dried herbs have always been available, but the use, and cultivation, of fresh herbs has grown greatly.  My grandmother grew fresh mint - and she didn't even drink juleps - but that was the only one.  Most of us now grow a wide assortment of herbs, and dry or freeze them for year-round use.

  The rule of thumb is that dried herbs are more intense in flavor than fresh, so you use less.  However, you want your dried herbs to be "fresh" as they lose flavor over time.  There are various ways to dry your own.  I prefer to air-dry them in bunches.  Pick the herbs in the evening.  If you pick them in the morning, they will be moist with dew, and not dry as well.  Form into bunches, secure the stems with rubber bands, and hang in a dark, dry place.

Bloomin' Bucks
 With Brent and Becky's Bulbs

It's not too late to plant bulbs in our area

FGCNYS Fundraiser

Order your Fall Bulb catalog now at (877)661-2852 or at www.bloomingbucks.com

Here's how ...

Just go to www.bloominbucks.com and choose to support Federated Garden Clubs of NYS. You will then be taken to the website of Brent and Becky's Bulbs, click on 'Catalog' and you can choose to order a catalog or download a catalog. After perusing the catalog click on 'Shop', click on 'Fast Shop' and place your order. They have a huge selection of bulbs, plants, perennials, supplements, books, tools, and home accessories...anything you want or need!

If you see something you like in another catalog, just give Brent & Becky's a call and see if they have it too.

It's as easy as a click or a phone call and a percentage of your sale comes back to support FGCNYS!

Federated Garden Clubs of NYS, Inc. | 104F Covent Gardens | Guilderland, New York 12084 |