The Air Pollution Control District would like to send warm wishes to you, your family and friends! May all the joys of this holiday season be yours throughout the New Year.
Tips for a "Green" Holiday Season
Reduce holiday waste, save money and be merry.
Each holiday season, residential energy consumption increases while thousands of shopping bags end up in landfills. Both activities contribute to air pollution due to the increased energy used to process waste and illuminate those merry light bulbs. Here are a few helpful tips to reduce waste, save money and preserve our clean air:
- Use energy efficient / LED lights. Doing so will not only save energy, but will also help your lights last longer.
- Encourage your out of town friends and relatives to travel here without their cars. Visit SLOCarFree.org for great discounts on Amtrak, hotels, restaurants, and activities.
- Plan your shopping in advance. Consolidating your shopping trips saves fuel and parking aggravation.
- For gifts that require batteries, use rechargeable ones and consider giving a battery charger as well.
- Give gifts that require little packaging, such as event tickets, cooking classes or other activities that can be shared.
- Walk, ride a bike or carpool to holiday parties to minimize gas emissions.
- If you buy a cut tree, be sure to recycle it or buy a potted tree and plant it after the holidays.
- Buy food or products that are locally grown or produced to support local businesses and reduce the miles they travel.
SLO County Air Pollution Control District
3433 Roberto Court, San Luis Obispo