President's Letter - A Year in Review
Greetings to everyone and Happy New Year!
As my last official duty as your president I'd like to recap our 2014 accomplishments and say thank you for the opportunity to serve as your President. I was honored to be asked and hope that I've helped to guide our chapter into the future.
As you know the AFP Greater Madison is a partnership of people and organizations devoted to advancing ethical and effective philanthropy through education, professional development, networking and outreach.
The highlights of our year that worked to accomplish this mission include:
- A record thirty-three chapter members helped us exceed our 2014 Be the Cause campaign goal by 67%. Based on these gifts, the grant our chapter will receive will enhance our activities and benefit the membership.
- The Program Committee hosted 9 chapter meetings with educational presentations with an average of 55 people in attendance per meeting. 495 guests joined us over the year
for these meetings.
- The Professional Development Committee facilitated four Networking Breakfasts
in two locations, east and west, with up to 20 attendees per location.
- The Chapter held five webinars on a variety of timely topics and upgraded from an
in-person to an on-line presentation format.
- The Membership Committee worked to increase membership and experienced a net increase of 5% to 179 members. We have 39 new members and a
retention rate of 73.5%.
- The Chapter attained Ten Star Status from AFP International for the ninth year in a row.
- The Scholarship Committee awarded $2,050 in scholarships to 12 members that were used to continue each individual's professional development.
- The Chapter received 138 job postings to the Jobs Board to provide opportunities
to our member professionals.
- The Diversity Committee began a free workshop series targeted toward small non-profits.
- The Professional Development Committee offered bi-annual CFRE Review Course attended by 10 members.
- The Philanthropy Day Committee was very successful in increasing sponsorship by 28% compared to 2013 while raising an additional $7,250 and hosted 434 guests in a sold out event at the Overture Center.
- The board of directors formed the Young Professionals/Youth in Philanthropy Committee which connected young professionals with member mentors, worked with the collegiate chapter, held a networking happy hour and promoted AFP to the next generation of fundraisers.
- AFP Greater Madison and AFP Southeastern Chapter WI Chapters offered the successful Wisconsin Fundraising Professionals Conference in August to a
very enthusiastic group of members from both chapters.
I would like to thank all of the 2014 board members for their service, dedication and commitment but would like to offer a special thank you to our outgoing board members including
Terrie Goren, CFRE, Cheryl Porior-Mayhew, Meghan Gauger, Amy Overby, and Julie Bauer.
I would also like to thank the commitment and dedication of our Chapter Administrator, Erin Richardson. Thank you Erin for all of your contributions which have helped to ensure the success of the Greater Madison Chapter.
Finally, thank you to all of our Chapter meeting sponsors, the Wisconsin Fundraising Professionals Conference Sponsors and our Philanthropy Day Sponsors. We thank you for your generosity, enthusiasm and support!
Good luck to all of you in 2015. I wish you and the organization's you represent much success!
Kirsten Houghton, CPA, MBA
|Did you know? Check out these chapter updates...
- The Scholarship Committee welcomes applications for non-AFP training opportunities.
To apply for support to further your training and education in 2015 fill out the
- There is still time to apply for sponsorship for your Young Professional AFP Membership.
Click here to join and receive 50% back on your membership fees (12/31/14 deadline).
- The Diversity Committee has announced details for their FREE Fundraising for the Small Non-Profit workshop series. Click for details.
- Not able to make the Quarterly Roundtable discussions? Notes from the discussions are posted following the events. Click here to view notes from the 2014 Roundtables.
- The Program Committee was released the 2015 chapter meeting and webinar topics. Check out our Event Calendar for details. Interested in being a sponsor? Please contact Jenni Collins at email@example.com.