Chapter Meeting Spotlight
|meeting sponsor|From Meals to Marriage:
Legal Stuff You Need to Know to End 2013
Jodi Slavik, Employment Attorney
& Regional Service Manager with Vigilant
October 10, 2013
View more information and register.
This one-hour session is a comprehensive review of employment law changes that occurred in 2013 and changes expected in 2014, including Supreme Court rulings (and those accepted for review), state and federal legislation, and agency rule-making. The class is designed for business owners, HR professionals, payroll and benefits experts, attorneys, and other consultants.
Participants will discuss the latest regulatory, legislative, and court changes that impact their business with the goal of understanding how these changes impact their business and their individual job functions, including being able to:
Jodi Slavik is an Employment Attorney with Vigilant, where she represents member companies in five states on sticky employment law issues, including harassment, discrimination, disability, and protected leaves. Before joining Vigilant, Jodi spent 15 years lobbying at the State Legislature where she saw the best (and worst) of lawmaking... and she'll happily tell you all the gory details over a beer. Jodi is also the LWHRA Legislative Chair where she keeps LWHRA members abreast of all legislative news, from word on the street to laws signed by the Governor.
- Apply changes to policies and benefits to be compliant with DOMA changes;
- Understand reporting requirement guidelines and new timelines under the ACA;
- Conduct a simple internal audit using the new I-9 form;
- Revise background check policies consistent with EEOC guidance and the Seattle ordinance;
- Ensure social networking policies are compliant with the NLRB; and
- Conduct legal and effective investigations of harassment and confidentiality claims on social networking.
This session has been approved for 1 (General) recertification credit hour toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
New this month. We now have a Student member rate for lunch of $10. Also, we are no longer able to accommodate vegetarian or other special meals for those who have not pre-registered.
This newsletter sponsored in part by: