Chapter Meeting Spotlight
On-boarding: More than Just Orientation
June 13, 2013
Bellevue Club, 11200 SE 6th Street
View more information and register.
Onboarding is more than just orientation; in fact, it can take 6-12 months for a new employee to become acclimated to their job. A strong onboarding program ensures new employees:
- Understand organizational vision & strategy
- Have a clear understanding of their department and mission and the importance of their job
- Understand their job responsibilities and performance objectives
- Are introduced to the key people they will have working relationships with
- Have access to the tools and resources needed to perform their job
- Are compliant with legal, human resource, and department-specific requirements
- Are provided the opportunity to contribute work immediately
Research confirms that new managers are emotionally and rationally committed to their new job more quickly when they experience the above within their first month on the job, and that every 10 percent improvement in commitment can decrease the probability of departure by 9 percent. Source: Corporate Leadership Council 2004 Manager Engagement Survey
Onboarding is critical to retention. In this session, you'll learn the necessary components, see samples of custom onboarding plans, examine Stanford University's onboarding plan and learn how to develop your organization's onboarding plan.
Jillian Douglas directs Business Development and Marketing efforts at IdeaLearning Group and sets the overall pedagogical vision for projects. With 20+ years of experience in adult education, Jillian has a passion for conceptualizing and delivering operational, managerial, and leadership-focused employee development programs that result in positive gains for businesses. Jillian fosters new client relationships and oversees brand development. She also facilitates classroom learning and conducts speaking engagements on a wide variety of topics related to adult learning and development.
This program has been approved for 1 General recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.