|Message from RPA President|
Our next quarterly coffee will feature Edee Ben Ari, Director of Raskob, on Wednesday, May 7 at 8:30am in the California Room. Edee will speak about the recent WASC accreditation review and recommendations. A short RPA meeting will follow from 9-10am in which we will discuss open positions for next year and how to get more parents involved in the RPA.
The RPA has accomplished a lot this year:
None of this could have happened without the support of the community. It is vitally important that we keep this momentum going next year and this means we need everyone's help, especially as so many hard-working 8th grade parents are graduating with their students (although I propose that they remain lifetime RPA members).
- the RPA Thursday Notes were vastly improved,
- a new RPA web site went live,
- we had huge turnouts for the welcome barbecue and welcome coffee on the first day of school,
- three very successful parent education events took place,
- hospitality at numerous events was provided,
- teacher appreciation luncheons, breakfasts, cards and gifts were organized,
- spirit wear was put online,
- the Book Fair generated record sales and included an online option for the first time,
- quarterly coffees were host to foster a greater sense of community and to provide information, and
- the RPA raised enough money to purchase 5 Kindles, 15 Chromebooks and 10 lunch tables.
Thank you to Gabriella Tempestoso, Assistant Dean at Mills College (and Raskob parent) for a wonderful presentation on higher education for students with learning differences. This well attended parent chat was organized by Marjorie Stamper-Kurn, our VP of Family Resources and Support.
I hope to see you all next Wednesday and that you will get involved with the RPA. This will also help you to meet your 20 hour per year service commitment!
| Teacher Appreciation Week
May 5-9, 2014
The RPA Hospitality Committee, Lisa Jones and Karen Degalan, are planning the following activities for the week.
Tuesday-Candy Bar in teacher's lounge.
Wednesday-Lunch in the library for all staff.
Thursday-Notes from students to teachers accompanied by small gifts from RPA.
Friday-Jamba juice and muffins.
They are asking parents for their help in getting their child to write a brief note of appreciation to any of their teachers and/or TAs. They can write it on an index card or any paper they choose.
They also need parent volunteers to watch the schoolyard Wednesday, May 7 from 11:30-1:00 so faculty and staff can all have lunch together. This can count toward your families 20-hour volunteer requirement. If you can volunteer for this task contact Karen Degalan at email@example.com.