10 Safe Smart Rules for Kids & Grownups
by Richelle Davis
As you ready your children to go back to school with new backpacks, tennis shoes, and pencils, remind them of these important rules to keep them safe as they leave your side.
1. I am the boss of my body.
2. I always check first and get permission before I go anywhere. If I can't check first, the answer is NO!
3. I know my name, address, phone number, & parents' cell phone number, too.
4. Safe grownups don't ask kids for help. They go to other adults for assistance.
5. I don't have to be polite if someone makes me feel scared or uncomfortable. It's okay to say NO! even to a grownup or bigger kid if I have to.
6. Everyone's bathing suit areas are private! No bathing suit area games are allowed.
7. If I ever get lost in a public place, I can freeze and yell or go to a mom with kids and ask for help.
8. I never go anywhere or take anything from someone I don't know, no matter what they say.
9. I always listen to my own "inner voice", my "safety whistle", especially if I have the "uh-oh" feeling.
10. I don't keep secrets from my parents. No one should tell a child to keep a secret from their parents, especially if it involves their bodies.