In celebration of World Health Day this month I would like to define & explain two common terms: 1) Health; defined as the absence of disease. A state where basic medical needs have been met & survival is maintained. 2) Wellness; defined as an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a more successful existence. Wellness can also be described as the constant, conscious pursuit of living life to its fullest potential.
In today's ever competitive healthcare market, both of these terms are used interchangeably and consistently. But I want us all to take a moment and define how we are living. Are we simply functioning with the absence of disease? Eating whatever we want, stressed out daily and seeking care only when we are in pain or have symptoms. OR are we in conscious pursuit of our highest potential? Getting adequate rest, meditating, exercising, eating vegetables and seeking regular wellness care?
If the former describes you best, I want to wake you up! I want you to realize that your full potential is not being expressed as you simply coast downhill day to day. Get back on track with your Wellness Care (chiropractic, massage, acupuncture) and stay consistent. Also, modify your lifestyle choices so that they add to a more successful existence!!! Until our next adjustment...
Yours in health,
Dr. Heidi & The InnerMovement Wellness Team
Get relief from Allergy Symptoms or Migraine Pain
COLD STONE FACIAL MASSAGE
Cold Stone Massage Therapy combines aromatherapy, headache-point release, and the strategic placement of cold, marble stones on the face and neck to reduce nasal swelling and soothe sinus pressure.
This effective therapy provides relief from allergy symptoms, sinus pain and regular headaches, as well as diminishing the pain or pressure of migraines.
Try this natural therapy as your first line of treatment, before resorting to medications!
30-minute treatment sessions.
COLD STONE FACIAL MASSAGE SPECIAL: $40
You SAVE $15 a treatment
To celebrate Earth Day on April 22, we're giving away
InnerMovement Chiropractic Reusable Tote Bags to the
first five patients
who take advantage of our Cold Stone Facial Massage Special!
CHIROPRACTIC & ALLERGIES
A study from the University of California  found that signals from the nervous system may influence the function of the immune system. While our immune system is there to fight against viruses, disease and infection, and helps to keep the body performing at its peak, it also works to dispel foreign contaminants that enter the body. When we sneeze because of an allergy, it's because our body detects the presence of a foreign object in the system, such as dust, mites, pollen, etc. and it produces chemicals to neutralize and expel the allergens. These chemicals are known as histamines. In the case of allergies, the immune system overreacts to the presence of the allergens in the body.
A chiropractor may help by removing the nerve interference from compressions in the spine, and as a result the immune system is able to function optimally once more.
Most traditional treatments for allergies, such as antihistamines, only deal with managing the symptoms and don't eliminate the cause. The safety of anti-allergy medication is under debate, the long-term use of antihistamines or combined with other medication may cause cancer. A study conducted in lab rats with brand name anti-allergy medication found that cancerous tumors in the rats grew much faster with the intake of antihistamines .
A chiropractor treats the patient by releasing the stresses on the patients nervous system, which as a result causes the immune system to work more effectively and as a consequence allergies are thereby reduced. Patients with misaligned spinal vertebra may have pinched nerves, which apply pressure and stress the system. Once the trapped nerve is released, the nervous system in general is free from stress and the body can then work more effectively to neutralize the allergy-causing chemicals found in the body.
Spinal health is as beneficial to the body as is good nutrition. A chiropractor can help the body to achieve optimal health and can help to improve the quality of life.
 Goetzl EJ, Voice JK, Shen S, Dorsam G, Kong Y, West KM, Morrison CF, Harmar AJ., Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 Nov 20;98(24):13854-9. Epub 2001 Nov 6.
 Brandes LJ, Simons KJ, Bracken SP, Warrington RC., J Clin Oncol. 1994 Jun;12(6):1281-90.
LESSER KNOWN BENEFITS OF CHIROPRACTIC CARE
Chiropractic can help with such body processes as increased circulation, improved delivery of oxygen and nutrients, increase flexibility, reduced muscle spasms, and assists the body with the healing process.
The result is better physical performance, improved nervous system function, superior immune system function, boosted energy, and an overall healthier person.
Chiropractics also put an importance on nutrition and fitness programs, and wellness and lifestyle modifications for sustaining physical and mental health.
Here is just a partial list of what can be addressed with Chiropractic care:
- Headaches, migraines
- Upper, mid, lower back pain & stiffness
- Neck pain & stiffness
- Pinched nerves & muscle spasms
- Leg & arm joint pain or dysfunction
- Carpal or Tarsal tunnel syndrome
Conditions or diseases:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Digestive issues
- Ear infections
- Fertility issues
- Frequent colds, flus
- Gastrointestinal syndromes
- Intervertebral disc syndrome
- Loss of equilibrium
- Menstrual disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Respiratory infection
- Auto accidents
- Chronic injuries
- Falling injuries
- Lifting injuries
- Sport injuries
- Work-related injuries
For more information on how chiropractic can help improve your health, please make an appointment to consult with Dr. Heidi.
YELPers - WE NEED YOUR HELP
Click to visit our page
We rely on your referrals and testimonials to reach others who need our care.
We're asking all of our patients please post a YELP review with their experience to help inspire others to take charge of their wellness.
Help Us - Help Others!
~ Thank You
|How To Contact Us|
Visit our WEBSITE
Book Your Appointment ONLINE
Call Us! (818) 549-1300
Access our FREE Natural Health Library
(or enter your own zip code)
|DR. HEIDI's RECOMMENDED VIEWING:
|Allergy Symptoms |
RETAIL DEAL OF THE MONTH!
Cervical Neck Pillow
provides the proper position for sleeping and aids in keeping the breathing passages open.
HOME REMEDIES FOR ALLERGIES
- Oil of Oregano. This powerful herb fights bacteria, fungi, parasites, inflammation and helps relieve allergy symptoms.
- Hot Peppermint Tea. Peppermint contains anti-inflammatory and mild antibacterial qualities, and acts as a natural decongestant.
- Breathing Steam. Steam refreshes and soothes irritated sinuses, while helping to eliminate mucus. Boil several cups of water and pour into a big bowl. Lean carefully over the bowl, and drape a towel over your head. Breathe gently for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Eat local honey. Try clover honey and/or wildflower honey to build up your resistance.
- Drink lots of water. Water helps to thin mucus and flush it from the body.
- Use a neti pot. Neti pots have been used in India for thousands of years to flush the sinuses and keep them clear.
And if you need relief that can't be addressed at home, try our Cold Stone Massage Therapy - on special this month!!!
|NUTRITION CORNER: |Recipe of the Month
Perfect for serving at all of your springtime celebrations!
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large organic eggs
- 3/4 cup Agave Syrup
- 3/4 cup almond, soy or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots, (4-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufch�tel), softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut chips or flaked coconut, toasted
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350�F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Drain pineapple in a sieve set over a bowl, pressing on the solids. Reserve the drained pineapple and 1/3 cup of the juice.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, agave syrup, almond milk, oil, vanilla and the pineapple juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in pineapple, carrots and 1/4 cup coconut. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until blended. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting and finish cake: Beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.