This month we are celebrating National Nutrition Month! Some of the simplest changes in your eating can have tremendous benefits to your overall health, energy, pain levels and overall sense of wellbeing. One of those changes is to dramatically decrease your sugar intake. As stated below, sugar in large amounts has devastating effects on your health. And if you begin to read food labels and ingredient lists, you will see that sugar is in EVERYTHING! This month challenge yourself by trying to keep your sugar intake below 20grams per day (not including fruit sugar). If you really do this, you will see how much hidden sugars you are taking in without even being aware of it. And if you keep your sugar intake below 20grams per day, I guarantee you will feel less pain, more energy throughout your day and you will also have an improved immune response which means less allergies, flu's and colds.
Below you will find more simple ways to improve your nutritional composition. May you all be inspired toward good health! Until our next adjustment...
Yours in health,
Dr. Heidi & The InnerMovement Wellness Team
AQUA DETOX PROGRAM SPECIAL
Address Candida Overgrowth with our 6-treatment Aqua Detox Program
Detox your body by eliminating candida and removing heavy metals while re-balancing and re-energizing your system. Candida overgrowth can affect several of your body's systems with symptoms such as:
- Digestive System: food cravings, acid reflux, abdominal pain or bloating
- Immune Disorders: fatigue, muscle or joint pain, recurring infections,
- Women's Health Issues: PMS, poor sleep patterns, skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis, skin or nail fungal infections, yeast infections
- Nervous System: headaches, depression, anxiety, poor memory
Single treatments normally $50 each
6- Treatment Package only $210
You SAVE $15 a treatment
MARCH IS NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH!
Celebrate by adopting healthy eating habits and encourage those around you to set food-smart strategies too!
TREATING DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS WITH CHIROPRACTIC CARE
All of our organs are connected to two different nervous systems, the sympathetic and parasympathetic. The nerves of the sympathetic system run from the lower cervical spine (neck) to the upper lumbar spine (lower back). The parasympathetic nerves are found in the middle and upper regions of the cervical spine and the lower lumbar spine and sacrum (the bone between the pelvis).
Together, these two nervous systems help to control digestion by sending signals to the organs. If a spinal joint that correlates with the digestive nerves becomes injured or misaligned, it may send excessive signals to the digestive organ, causing dysfunction or pain. Most commonly, the stomach, gall bladder, and large intestine demonstrate this type of spinal/organ imbalance causing acid reflux, poor digestion and constipation. Interestingly these organs relate to the most commonly misaligned areas of the spine: the upper thoracic spine and the lower back.
Based on research, Chiropractors subscribe to the theory that problems with the organs of digestion are a result of spinal misalignment and treat patients with manipulation, massage, stress relief, and nutritional counseling with great success.
If you have digestive problems (or know someone who does), we encourage you to speak with Dr. Heidi for more information on how chiropractic can help!
RETAIL DEAL OF THE MONTH!
Celebrating Nat'l Nutrition Month
TAKE 20% Off ANY
of our Nutritional Supplements!*
*offer exp.03/31/13. cannot be combined with any other discounts. excludes Detox Program Kit.
High fructose corn syrup, White sugar, cane sugar, evaporated cane juice, honey... they are all sugar and if you pay attention is in EVERYTHING! Soups, salad dressings, "health" bars, natural cereals, yogurt, sport drinks etc etc not to mention the obvious culprits. The American diet is so full of sugar that recently there has been talk about government regulation of sugar intake as an attempt to improve the health of the American people!
How much can you have: The recommended sugar intake for adult women is 5 teaspoons (20 grams) of sugar per day; for adult men, it's 9 teaspoons (36 grams) daily; and for children, it's 3 teaspoons (12 grams) a day. That might seem like a lot but if your healthy breakfast cereal has 12 grams and your sweetened juice has another 8grams, your done for the day! If your child's waffle with syrup has 20 grams they have exceeded their limit and need to take an extra PE class to burn the extra calories.
WebMD: The Truth About Sugar
NY Times: Is Sugar Toxic
|NUTRITION CORNER: |Recipe of the Month
(Vegan, Gluten-Free &
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 4-5 cups unsweetened almond milk (depending on consistency desired - liquid or thicker state)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or Earth Balance spread)
- 3 tbsp coconut flakes
- 5 chopped dates
- Handful of raisins
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup cashew pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
What to do:
1) Soak rice in 2 cups of water for 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
2) Combine the rice, almond milk, nuts, dates, and cinnamon. Bring to boil, the lower to low for 30 mins until rice absorbs most water.
3) Once rice is soft, turn off the heat and let it cool for another 30mins.
4) Serve rice pudding warm or cool in refrigerator to serve later.
5-STAR YELP TESTIMONIAL
Click to visit our page
"I've been seeing Dr. Heidi for years. Oddly enough, I went in for stomach issues. Doctor's visits & prescribed meds didn't help my stomach so I decided to try chiropractic care at the suggestion of a good friend of mine. I could honestly say, it changed my life forever as I have gained a new understanding of health & the body. Chiropractic care isn't just for the back or neck. My stomach issues went away (caused by my T6 being messed up) but I've continued to see Dr. Heidi for regular adjustments. She and her staff are very friendly & have always been helpful. I'd give them more than 5 stars if I could!! :)"
posted by Chele F.
|How To Contact Us|
Visit our WEBSITE
Book Your Appointment ONLINE
Call Us! (818) 549-1300
Access our FREE Natural Health Library
BAN TRANS FATS IN YOUR HOME
Hydrogenated or Partially-Hydrogenated Fats (AKA Trans Fats) are Poison!
Do not eat these!
Do not let your family eat these!
Trans fats (or trans fatty acids) are created in an industrial process that adds hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid. These fats do not breakdown at room temperature or when exposed to oxygen, like natural fats. For this reason, they are used in boxed and bagged food products in order to keep a longer shelf life. These fats are not natural. They are created in a lab, like plastic. They do not breakdown outside OR inside the body, and your body has no ability to recognize or digest them into useable parts. Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Eating trans fats also increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke and is associated with a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Trans fats can be found in many foods such as:
You can find trans fats in foods by looking at the Nutrition Facts Panel. Learn how to read nutritional panels and teach your family how to as well.
- Cookies, including Girl Scout Cookies
- Pie crusts
- Pizza dough
- Vegetable shortening
- Cake mixes
- Pancake mixes
- Chocolate drink mixes
- French fries
- Potato chips
- Packaged popcorn
- Frozen dinners
- Children's snack foods
- Processed cheese
- Stick margarines & shortenings
Links for more information:
DR. HEIDI'S RECOMMENDED READING
|click to purchase on Amazon|
The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy
"I cannot recommend this book enough. My friend and author Haylie Pomroy
has been my go-to nutritionist for many years. She is brilliant with nutrition! In 2012, Jennifer Lopez announced Haylie's nutrition program as one of her top 3 beauty secrets! The publicity from this unsolicited promotion allowed Haylie the resources to write her new book The Fast Metabolism Diet. In this book, she has revealed the best of her clinical gems on how to reset stuck metabolism, address hidden Thyroid issues, and eat your way to more energy. A must read for most woman..."
Soda has zero nutritional value and has an alarming amount of sugar and calories. Additionally, it has some of the following unhealthy ingredients:
- Phosphoric Acid: May interfere with the body's ability to use calcium, which can lead to osteoporosis. Phosphoric acid also neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which can interfere with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients.
- Sugar: Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar. It's been proven that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects.
- Aspartame: This chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet soda. There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilepsy/seizures. Further, when aspartame is stored for long periods of time, it changes to methanol, an alcohol that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.
- Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks can cause insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, and vitamin and mineral depletion.
for more information on a handy print-out for reference and to share.