Quick Links

Connect with Us
Like us on Facebook    Follow us on Twitter    View our profile on LinkedIn
Parfrey Murphy
Chartered Accountants
Lee View House
South Terrace

T: +353 (0)21 4310266
E: [email protected]
December 2013
Our aim is to help our clients increase their profitability, improve their cash flow and reduce their tax liabilities so that they have more disposable income. Please feel free to call us on  021 4310266 or email us at [email protected] if you wish to do business with us

Seasons Greetings

We would like to extend to all our clients, friends and their families a very happy Christmas and every best wishes for a great New Year.


We thank you for your support and we look forward to working with you all again in 2014.



Revenue Audits and Benefits-in-Kind

By Una Beecher


Based on our recent experiences with Revenue Audits it has transpired that a particular area of Revenue interest is whether benefits-in-kind have been taxed through the employer's payroll correctly or if at all.


Subject to certain exceptions, benefits-in-kind including private use of a company car, free or subsidised accommodation and preferential loans from an employer to an employee whose total remuneration (including benefits-in-kind) is €1,905 or more in a tax year are taxable.


Where the employee receiving such benefits is a director of the company concerned, the benefits are taxable regardless of the level of remuneration.


The following is a non-exhaustive list of sample benefits which if paid by an employee's employer may be taxable:


-         Private use of company cars / vans


-         Free or subsidised accommodation


-         Preferential loans


-         Medical insurance premiums


-         Crèche / childcare facilities


-         Sports and recreational facilities


-         Private use of corporate charge cards





10 Ways To Get The Best Value Out Of Your Accountant 

Seamus Parfrey

 By Seamus Parfrey  


I came across the following article on taxdonut which is reproduced in its entirety.



Your accountant can sort out your tax return or your annual accounts and provide advice on a range of issues, but how do you get the best return on the fees you pay to an accountant?



Choose carefully. Look for accountants with experience of your type of business. Anyone can set up as 'an accountant', so look for chartered or certified accountants, whose qualified status is backed by membership of professional bodies. A large firm suggests reliability, but a smaller one may respond better to your needs. Ask prospective accountants how they can help your business. Request references and proof they have professional indemnity insurance, before you make your final decision.



Explain your expectations. Your accountant will summarise terms and conditions in a letter of engagement. Put your expectations in writing, too. Describe the level of service you require, for example, how quickly you need queries to be answered. Ask to deal with a specific contact, to help build a close professional relationship.



Ask questions. Check what other services your accountant can offer. These could include guidance on setting up your business, preparation of financial forecasts, help with loan applications, audits, investment advice and other suggestions for minimising your tax liability.



Use your accountants' contacts. Accountants specialising in your type of business can often suggest good trade contacts. Perhaps your accountant knows a supplier who can offer you a great deal or maybe they know of a potential investor.



Keep talking. Communicate regularly with your accountant to get the best possible value from the relationship. Schedule quarterly meetings to review your firm's performance, so you can better plan for the future. Be sure to meet before producing your end-of-year accounts or tax return.



Sinead Herlihy

Deadline - 14 January 2013

  • P30 monthly return and payment for December 2013
Deadline - 14 January 2013
  • Return and payment for December 2013
Deadline - 23 January 2013
  • RCT - Return and payment for December 2013.

Deadline - 21 January 2013

Corporation Tax

  • Preliminary Tax for accounting periods ending between 1 - 28 February 2014
  • First installment of preliminary tax for "Large Companies" with a financial year ending between 1 - 31 July 2014
  • Returns for accounting periods ending between 1 - 30 April 2013
  • Pay balance of tax due on accounting periods ending between 1 - 30 April 2013
  • Returns of third party information for accounting periods ending between 1 - 30 April 2013
Where returns and payments for RCT, PAYE/PRSI, VAT and Corporation Tax are made electronically the return and payment deadlines are being extended to the 23rd day of the month.
Parfrey Murphy
+353 (0)21 4310266
Blog  |  Why Us?  |  Startups  |  Services  |  Resources  |  Testimonials  |  About Us  |  Contact Us

Copyright © 2013. All Rights Reserved.