ESC of Lake Erie West Spotlight:
5 Star Step Up to Quality Rating Awarded to Preschool Progam
ESC of Lake Erie West preschools have received a Five-Star Step Up To Quality Award from the state of Ohio. The five star rated programs are located at Union Elementary (serving Maumee Schools and Perrysburg Schools) and Waterville Elementary (serving Anthony Wayne Schools). The award is given in recognition of a commitment to quality and an ongoing dedication to the learning and development of young children.
Step Up To Quality is a rating system that awards one to five stars to programs that go above and beyond minimum licensing standards. Star-rated programs lay the foundation for children's learning and development and build skills that are important for success in school and in life.
Programs with star ratings:
- Have highly trained teachers,
- Have lower staff/child ratios,
- Use child assessment results to plan activities that best support learning and development goals for each child,
- Share assessment results and create goals for children,
- Develop plans to support children as they transition to a new classroom or educational setting,
- Work with other organizations or businesses within the community to support children and their families, and
- Use input from families and community partners' to inform the program's continuous improvement process.
Previously, the ESC of Lake Erie West program located at Dorr Elementary in the Springfield Local Schools received a 5 Star Rating in December 2015.
Research confirms that the first five years of a child's life has a direct impact on how children develop emotional well-being, in addition to, learning and social skills. For these reasons, the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services and the Ohio Department of Education are committed to improving early childhood opportunities for all children in the state. All publicly funded programs are required to participate in the Step Up to Quality rating system.
To learn more about Step Up to Quality, visit www.earlychildhoodohio.org