Downtown Grocery Store
On December 5, 2013 City Council approved a Development Agreement with HEB for expansion of their corporate headquarters that includes the construction of a 10,000 square foot grocery store and the closure of Main Avenue. The purpose of this newsletter is to provide to you updates on the project.
The overall project has been divided into 6 phases over the next 18 months:
- Phase I - Traffic improvements in the King William Neighborhood. COMPLETED
- Phase II - Traffic signal improvements. Mobilization work has begun. Work to install the traffic signal poles began on June 25th. Estimated completion in August 2014.
- Phase III - Bike / pedestrian path improvements to include Commander's House improvements. Work is currently in the permitting process and is estimated to commence in August. Estimated completion in November 2014.
- Phase IV - Dwyer and Whitley improvements (additional signals to be added). The work for the signal at Whitley will begin as part of the work described in Phase II. Work is expected to also begin at the new intersection of Cesar Chavez and Dwyer by the August.
- Phase V - Closure of Main. To be closed upon completion of above mentioned improvements and opening of S. Alamo. The HDRC is scheduled to provide final approval on the closure of S. Main at the intersection of Arsenal and E. Cesar Chavez on Wednesday, August 6th at 3pm. Estimated closure in November 2014.
- Phase VI - Building the grocery store. Construction is estimated to begin in early 2015 and complete in Summer 2015. If HEB can start in Fall 2014, however, construction will begin sooner.
May 12 - August 31, 2014
S. Alamo from Probandt to Guenther (24 hour operations)
S. Alamo drainage project has moved to 12 hour (7 am to sundown) operations on S. Alamo between Probandt and Guenther. This schedule change will last through the end of August. The project completion date has been revised to October 2014. Two alternating lanes will be open starting in August. For more information on the project, see below or click here.
June 17 - August 31, 2014
Arsenal and S. Flores intersection, progressing north to Cesar Chavez and Flores
Monday - Friday from 7 am - 6 pm
Contractor is working on Phase II and Phase IV traffic signal improvements.
June 30 - August 31
Activities will include placement of signal pole foundations, and controller foundations. Sidewalks will be closed while pole foundations are being drilled, however, contractor will have a flagman to allow for pedestrian access as necessary.
Beginning August 4th
Crews will trench and install conduit at the intersection of Cesar Chavez and Dwyer.
Download construction map here
AT&T continues work on relocating infrastructure on Arsenal between S. Flores & Washington. Work will be completed Monday - Friday from 9 am to 3 pm. There will be minimal lane closures on W. Sheridan, S. Main Ave, City St, and E. Arsenal. The majority of the work is aerial work. The only digging that will take place is at S. Flores and Sheridan where a new box will be installed. The contractor will initially place the new cable and anticipates completing work in approximately 3 weeks. After placing the new cable it should take another 2-3 weeks to splice. The next phase of work is to remove the old cable and will take approximately 2 weeks. Additional work will include the removal of the old poles. A schedule for this work will be provided as soon as it is finalized.
Completed! June 23 - July 7, 2014
Main Street Overlay
Sheridan Street Overlay
The City of San Antonio Transportation & Capital Improvements Department has completed the mill and overlay of the following:
- Main Street from S. Alamo to Arsenal
- Sheridan Street from Flores to City Street
-The striping and markings were completed on Main St.
Friday, July 25th Update! The striping and markings will occur on Friday, July 25th during normal business hours. Work will be completed the same day. The contractor will stripe a 7' parking lane, 5' bike lane, and 10' travel lane. 48 hour notice will be given to the adjacent residents before work begins.
ARSENAL AND CITY STREETS PILOT RESIDENTIAL PERMIT PARKING PROGRAM (RPP)
The Pilot Residential Permit Parking Program (RPP) was approved by City Council on April 17, 2014. The RPP is a 12 month pilot program for:
Arsenal St. between S. Flores and San Antonio River
City St. between Arsenal and W. Sheridan
After the pilot program is evaluated, a determination for expansion or discontinuation of the program will be made.
Permit Pick Up
Residents within the pilot program area may purchase their permits Monday - Friday from 7:45 am - 4:30 pm at:
243 N. Center Street
Enforcement for the program is ongoing. Parking has been removed on the north side of Arsenal in anticipation of the installation of the bike lanes in September.
S. ALAMO STREET DRAINAGE PROJECT
The City of San Antonio's Transportation and Capital Improvements Department, in partnership with the Bexar County Department of Public Works and San Antonio River Authority (SARA) are working in a collaborative manner with San Antonio Water Systems, CPS Energy and AT&T to improve the street condition and drainage facilities along S. Alamo Street from Probandt Street to Pereida Street. The improvements will alleviate drainage issues along this corridor, improve roadway conditions, and provide enhanced pedestrian facilities.
Construction began October 2012 and is estimated to be complete by October 2014. Beginning in August 2014, there will be two alternating lanes open.
For information on the project, including construction status, visit:
To view a complete list of Downtown Lane Closures, visit:
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during construction. For more information on the project or related street closures, contact Cindy Martinez, Special Projects Manager, at 207-3372.
Forward this email to a friend by using the link above. Individuals can sign up for our mailing list and be sure to get future updates on the project.